Are you religious?

Yes
18% (7 votes)
No
82% (32 votes)
Total votes: 39

Posted By

TangoMash
Feb 8 2006 17:18

Tags

Share

Attached files

Comments

TangoMash
Feb 8 2006 17:18

I personally think that religion is a load of old poppycock. I can't believe that millions of people can believe in somthing that is apparantly all powerful, all knowing, all seeing when there is famin, floods, earthquakes, disease and fascists in the world.

I personally am Agnostic, although not completly becuase i havnt seen pluto, but i still believe in it.

circle A

Ghost_of_the_re...
Feb 8 2006 19:40

I am religious. My god is me. And I'd never do any of that shit like famines and floods, as I'm too lazy and incompetent. To be honest I can't even make automatic doors open for me.

TangoMash
Feb 8 2006 19:47

lmao, alright. it'd be cool to be a god though, those pc games like Black and White are pretty boring becuase you have limitaions, but if you were a real god, all hell would break loose. fascists and capitalists would be burning all over the world. circle A

Lazy Riser
Feb 8 2006 19:53

Hi

People’s religious beliefs are no less rational than those held by most who claim to be atheists. Religion is as real as any other imaginary invention, such as “rights”.

Love

LR

JDMF
Feb 8 2006 20:15

So LR: things such as philosophy, politics, arts and all human sciences are like religion, all imaginary things?

I guess "rational" is also an imaginary concept... roll eyes

Lazy Riser
Feb 8 2006 21:39

Hi

Quote:
I guess "rational" is also an imaginary concept...

Maybe. It depends how you approach it. Are Imaginary Numbers really imaginary? Were they discovered or invented?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_numbers

Love

LR

jef costello
Feb 8 2006 21:59

Like God they were brought into existence because they were necessary, both imaginary numbers and God therefore exist but are not real.

As the need for imaginary numbers is rooted in their mathematical usefulness they should be kept.

God is only required by damaged or poorly-developed minds and humans should grow up enough sooner or later to do without God.

Religion is a fantasy of control, fantasies of control help people live with a lack of control, therefore it is harmful to the working class. Not believing in God requires people to accept that there are limits to their control but gives them every incentive to do as much as possible within these limits.

3600
Feb 8 2006 22:08

well, on one level god exists, if only in thoughts, whether there is a physical force that has a plan, and almighty one, is another thing.

i just see religion as one big cop out. christianity for example, seems to be structured around evading having to prove the existance of their god.

hell, using the same rational as the bible, there is no way you cannot prove that i personally am not god.

i simply view religion as a psychological safety net. it scares people to die, and some need to know death is not the end. it is the result of pig-headed denial of plain facts. everybody dies. FACT

Lazy Riser
Feb 8 2006 22:35

Hi

Quote:
everybody dies. FACT

Could you load a device with your consciousness? Do you think it would be scared? I bet it would feel weird.

Love

LR

jef costello
Feb 8 2006 22:37
Lazy Riser wrote:
I bet it would feel weird.

If it did then that would probably prove it was alive.

makhno's ghost
Feb 8 2006 23:31

i always wanted to ask this on libcom: what do yous think about astrology? Personally i have total faith in it, although im not really religious.

marinebroadcast
Feb 9 2006 00:11

allah

TangoMash
Feb 9 2006 18:28

allah?

confused

Steven.
Feb 9 2006 19:06
makhno's ghost wrote:
i always wanted to ask this on libcom: what do yous think about astrology? Personally i have total faith in it, although im not really religious.

I take it that's a joke?

If not - astrology is bollocks.

TangoMash
Feb 9 2006 21:03

does mak mean astrolagy as in stars or as in zodiac signs? cos all 3 of those things i've had are wrong, i've had messages in chinese biscuit things that have been more true, and most of them advertise the resturant. circle A

lucy82
Feb 9 2006 22:28
Quote:
i always wanted to ask this on libcom: what do yous think about astrology? Personally i have total faith in it, although im not really religious.

its rubbish like anything that claims to tell your fate by interpreting stars, tealeaves, tarot cards, numerically deciphering texts. stuff like astrology and tarot 'works' because people want to believe. Any halfway decent tarot reader is emphatic and intuitive about picking up signals from the person and interpreting them into the reading. i used to do tarot readings and stopped because i didn't like the way people trust you and give off signals even when they think they are not. it gave me influence i didn't want.

if there was a god shouldn't he be alittle more concise in his communication? after all, theres enough religious conflict in the world. i was discussing the burning bush in the old testament with a vicars wife today (as you do) and she argued that the bush was the only thing in the desert that god had to work with. well, you just can't argue with that immutable logic.

on the funny side, a friend of mine went to see a psychic the other day who told him there was a white scottie terrier called mitch coming though from the other side and would anyone claim him? and noone did so he went home with a ghost dog. i have weird friends.

Ghost_of_the_re...
Feb 10 2006 15:26
Lazy Riser wrote:
Hi
Quote:
I guess "rational" is also an imaginary concept...

Maybe. It depends how you approach it. Are Imaginary Numbers really imaginary? Were they discovered or invented?

Invented. By mathematicians. I always assumed it was some kind of an attempt at self-parody.

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 10 2006 22:46

Define god.

If god is that than which nothing greater can be conceived, then surely logic dictates that god must exist. Unless Lazy Riser is gonna argue that logic doesn't exist either, and all that exists is the proletariat, Class War and his dry wit.

jef costello
Feb 10 2006 22:53
Alan_is_Fucking_Dead wrote:
Define god.

If god is that than which nothing greater can be conceived, then surely logic dictates that god must exist. Unless Lazy Riser is gonna argue that logic doesn't exist either, and all that exists is the proletariat, Class War and his dry wit.

Logic would therefore dictate that the concept existed yes, but we already knew that.

TangoMash
Feb 11 2006 11:22

I believe that on some levels, I am god. red n black star

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 11 2006 13:46
TangoMash wrote:
I believe that on some levels, I am god. red n black star

anarquista
Feb 13 2006 16:37
Alan_is_Fucking_Dead wrote:
Define god.

If god is that than which nothing greater can be conceived, then surely logic dictates that god must exist. Unless Lazy Riser is gonna argue that logic doesn't exist either, and all that exists is the proletariat, Class War and his dry wit.

I imagine rainbow colored unicorns, does that mean they exist NO! This isnt logic, its more like Randian objectivism. sad

Lazy Riser
Feb 13 2006 18:38

Hi

All that really exists is logic and the proletariat.

future = logic . proletariat

(Where '.' is the Economic Vector Product)

Love

LR

cantdocartwheels
Feb 13 2006 18:53

Do you mean religion or beleif? Because asking if beleif exists or if its a hoax is a somewhat silly and pointless question surely.

Religion on the other hand is a word created by the catholic church designed to describe a system of rituals designed to bind and constrict (from the latin religare) the masses which the church may or may not have thought to be economically and morally neccesary depending on your point of view. Likewise similar things could be said of athiesm, which derives directly from deluded bourgeois enlightenment thinking.

I must admit however that it was somewhat comforting to see 4 people saying yes to the opinion poll question.

Sugarflow573
Feb 13 2006 20:11

Rationalism is pure logical, gaining knowledge (whether previously conceived or commenced at birth). To say that it is imaginary would support the lack of existence. If there is not rationalism, then mathematics would also not be valid. Or, maybe its not the validity that is problem... However, I think I can rationally understand the male intentions of a structured religion. Beliefs are good to have, its finding out why and where they come from that is the hard part.

cmdrdeathguts
Feb 13 2006 20:17

yes, religion definitely exists.

Sugarflow573
Feb 13 2006 20:19

People have tried many different methods in perceiving their god: religion, science, etc. They want proof of a higher being or power, they want to communicate with their maker. Just because he is not interested in us, does not me he is not there. Look how easily many people can easily dismiss the things they make: mothers with children, artist to a painting. Maybe we were created in his image, or maybe not… I don’t know.

jef costello
Feb 13 2006 21:01
cantdocartwheels wrote:
Do you mean religion or beleif? Because asking if beleif exists or if its a hoax is a somewhat silly and pointless question surely.

belief exists but Tangomash was asking about religion, he seems to have changed the first post I have a feeling it made more sense before.

Religion is designed to control people and to utilise belief.

Belief is a defensive measure to help people hide from the fact that their lives have no grand meaning and that nothing they do has any real significance.

Quote:
I must admit however that it was somewhat comforting to see 4 people saying yes to the opinion poll question

Why on earth would it be comforting? Unless you like to look down on the unelightened. May I ask what you believe in?

If you tell me you don't believe in organised religion but believe in a higher power then I really do pity you.

Sugarflow573: I remember reading something along those lines, siggesting that God was not in fact all powerful, he smply had power over us and it was quite possible he had lost interest in us or died or is at work or something like that. Its a nice idea.

Steven.
Feb 13 2006 23:37
Jef Costello wrote:
Quote:
I must admit however that it was somewhat comforting to see 4 people saying yes to the opinion poll question

Why on earth would it be comforting? Unless you like to look down on the unelightened.

Pssst! He's a god-botherer.

BB
Feb 15 2006 12:12

Christianity has got a fucking lot to answer for! It's the one i know the best.