Are you on the NHS Organ Donor Register?

Yesssssss
67% (20 votes)
No.
33% (10 votes)
Total votes: 30

Posted By

Jacques Roux
Feb 13 2005 15:36

Tags

Share

Attached files

Comments

Jacques Roux
Feb 13 2005 15:36

Will you be sharing your innards on your death or keeping them all to yourself?

According to https://www.uktransplant.org.uk 12,048,838 people - 20% of the population - are on it... wonder how this reflects here.

To register click here (takes 2 minutes!).

Jacques Roux
Feb 13 2005 15:54

I shoulda known someone was gunna say that tongue

phoebe
Feb 13 2005 16:08

I don't know who'll want my liver but they're welcome to it.

Lazlo_Woodbine
Feb 13 2005 17:15

I wasn't registered, but I have just done so, on-line. Cheers rkn :greenblackstar:

Ramona
Feb 13 2005 17:37

I am now smile

PaulMarsh
Feb 13 2005 18:13

I answered no - used to be a regular blood donor, but they changed the rules so that those who had a blood transfusion between the 80s and early 90s are barred - and that rules me out.

Choccy
Feb 13 2005 19:09

Aye I'm on it, they can whatever thefuck they want with my bits and bobs - whoever gets them is a lucky bastard tongue

redyred
Feb 13 2005 19:17
xConorx wrote:
Aye I'm on it, they can whatever thefuck they want with my bits and bobs - whoever gets them is a lucky bastard tongue

yeah - xLiverx, xKidneysx wink

phoebe
Feb 14 2005 09:33

Are (active) queerfolk allowed to donate organs? I know I'm not allowed to give blood or some such so I was wondering whether I should revise my answer to this.

Choccy
Feb 14 2005 14:41
revol68 wrote:
xtinyheadx

you should donate your shit haircut to medical science, they might be able to find a "ballroot gene"

Ghost_of_the_re...
Feb 14 2005 16:37

I'm on the bone marrow transplant register. Apparently only male doctors can do the operation due to the strength required to insert a needle into your bone.

I fucking hope no-one i'm related to gets leukaemia.

Garner
Feb 14 2005 16:55
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
I wasn't registered, but I have just done so, on-line. Cheers rkn :greenblackstar:

Ditto.

I remember when I was living in Belgium, someone told me that the system there is the opposite of how it works here: Unless you register as a non-donor, they assume you're willing to donate out of basic human solidarity. Which I thought was pretty cool.

pingtiao
Feb 14 2005 17:04
xConorx wrote:
revol68 wrote:
xtinyheadx

you should donate your shit haircut to medical science, they might be able to find a "ballroot gene"

tongue tongue

hahaha!

Anyway, I'm registered now, cheers for that rkn.

Pepe
Feb 14 2005 22:08

Wasn't sure, so I voted no then signed up.

confused

Jacques Roux
Feb 15 2005 16:41

Just to confuse us , right?

3rdseason
Feb 15 2005 16:44

I heard someone say once that they'd donate any part of their body EXCEPT their eyes. Cos someone else seeing out of their eyes would be too spooky.

gav
Feb 15 2005 16:54
Garner wrote:
I remember when I was living in Belgium, someone told me that the system there is the opposite of how it works here: Unless you register as a non-donor, they assume you're willing to donate out of basic human solidarity. Which I thought was pretty cool.

good point, but to add to it, if you decide to op out of the donation scheme, then you shouldnt be allowed to recieve an organ donaion.

3rdseason
Feb 15 2005 17:00
gav wrote:
Garner wrote:
I remember when I was living in Belgium, someone told me that the system there is the opposite of how it works here: Unless you register as a non-donor, they assume you're willing to donate out of basic human solidarity. Which I thought was pretty cool.

good point, but to add to it, if you decide to op out of the donation scheme, then you shouldnt be allowed to recieve an organ donaion.

I disagree. If someone just has an irrational phobis of having their body parts used then that shouldnt mean they get refused life-saving surgery.

gav
Feb 15 2005 17:21

Me and Jack just signed up, but Ed hasn't because he's an anti-social fuck, and not a communist anymore, because he hates sharing with others. He is a child of Thatcher. And Gorbachev.

But now he's just made me edit it because he's signing up because we subjected him to mockery for long enough. Democracy in action!

Spartacus
Feb 15 2005 17:51
3rdseason wrote:
I heard someone say once that they'd donate any part of their body EXCEPT their eyes. Cos someone else seeing out of their eyes would be too spooky.

have you seen The Eye? it's a chinese horror film with a storyline vaguely related to that. i love asian cinema so much. and i hate sarah michelle geller for doing an american version of juon, i bet it's rubbish, like the american ring.

phoebe
Feb 15 2005 17:58
GenerationTerrorist wrote:
3rdseason wrote:
I heard someone say once that they'd donate any part of their body EXCEPT their eyes. Cos someone else seeing out of their eyes would be too spooky.

have you seen The Eye? it's a chinese horror film with a storyline vaguely related to that. i love asian cinema so much. and i hate sarah michelle geller for doing an american version of juon, i bet it's rubbish, like the american ring.

Apparently it's more coherent, and on the upside, unlike the US version of Ring, it's actually been directed by the director of the original film.

Spartacus
Feb 15 2005 20:25

well i suppose it might be ok then. but i still think it'd be better to just market the original japanese one more, and get more people to see japanese films, so eventually beautiful kanji can replace our boring alphabet. and i dislike straight remakes, i much prefer it if they just make it heavily influenced but with their own spin on it, like with the magnificent seven, fistful of dollars or kill bill. i also don't like smg, she annoys me.

phoebe
Feb 16 2005 09:37

Exoticising the japanese (or their use of chinese characters) is dumb.

I saw the film last night anyway, and it was alright. According to my housemate it loses a lot in that the story references a lot of japanese folk culture and has a lot of in jokes that westerners just won't get, but as a horror flick it's alright. Recently I'm starting to wonder whether any good horror has come out of the west recently, but feeling less and less bothered about japanese horror.

Oh, and since the US version of the grudge is set in Japan there are plenty of japanese characters around (they manage to use language pretty well in that japanese people talk about shit right in front of americans in the film in japanese when they clearly wouldn't be saying that stuff if the person could understand them, so it's possibly a good thing that it was made in a US version).

Spartacus
Feb 16 2005 14:54
Quote:
Exoticising the japanese (or their use of chinese characters) is dumb.

i'm not exoticising kanji, i just find them far more aesthetically pleasing than the european alphabet. if we reverted to gothic script i would be almost as pleased. also as someone who studies european languages, i find japanese iteresting from a linguistic perspective, as the grammar is so different from european languages...

well maybe i'll download it, as all the films are dubbed into spanish here anyway, which can be quite irritating. i can't think of any good recent horror from the west. i saw the shining the other day, which is awesome but from 25 years ago...

Thora
Feb 16 2005 15:20
revol68 wrote:
no she did it in order to keep continuancy with radical feminism's rich history of convoluted, turgid, nonsensical writings.

I really fucking hate you revol roll eyes

3rdseason
Feb 16 2005 19:47
GenerationTerrorist wrote:
...the magnificent seven, fistful of dollars or kill bill. i also don't like smg, she annoys me.

God, Kill Bill was so shit. Two hours of Tarantino wanking over trashy 80s ninja movies. No thanks.

Can anyone recommend me some really scary horror? I can count on one hand the number of films that actually scare me.

Refused
Feb 16 2005 19:48
3rdseason wrote:
GenerationTerrorist wrote:
...the magnificent seven, fistful of dollars or kill bill. i also don't like smg, she annoys me.

God, Kill Bill was so shit. Two hours of Tarantino wanking over trashy 80s ninja movies. No thanks.

3rdseason
Feb 16 2005 19:52

I never ever EVER want to see it again in my life.

Choccy
Feb 16 2005 20:26

the best ninja films are American Ninja 1, 2 and 4.

Spartacus
Feb 16 2005 20:55
Quote:
God, Kill Bill was so shit. Two hours of Tarantino wanking over trashy 80s ninja movies. No thanks.

you poor, ignorant fool. the references are mostly about KUNG FU movies, which are completely different from ninja movies, and are totally awesome. and the main influence is lady snowblood, which is a revenge/swordplay film. and from the 70s. kill bill is my favourite film of all time, i've watched both parts about 30 times and still enjoy it as much as the first time.

and surely the best ninja film ever is ninja terminator, featuring a car chase with ladas, threats delivered by toy robots, ninjas unable to move without doing a back flip, a baddy who wears a ridiculous blonde wig for NO apparent reason whatsoever, and the showdown of "this is your ninja star" *ninja throws star and the other ninja catches it with his sword* "yes. this is your ninja star" *same in reverse*. oh, and of course the character jaguar won, who after two viewings i still can't make out what possible role he plays in the "plot" at all, other than getting into a fight with random people at least every five minutes, he's not even a ninja! great film.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend me some really scary horror? I can count on one hand the number of films that actually scare me.

well although everyone talks about it, i still really like the original japanese ring trilogy. dark water is another japanese horror only it makes damp patches on the ceiling scary rather than tvs. the juon series is meant to be good. that's about all the ones i've seen so far, i'm not that keen on horror... uzumaki is ok, the acting isn't very good but when it gets into it it's pretty damn bizarre... oh, nosferatu (the original 1921 silent film).