DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Gigs, films, plays, etc for us to do stalls at

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
rebel_lion
Mar 20 2006 14:16
Gigs, films, plays, etc for us to do stalls at

Thinking about this cos of the P.A.I.N. gig the other night, which myself and Lab Rat, as well as several other people i know who would identify as anarchists, were at, and which it would have been easily feasible for WMA to have had a stall at (there was actually supposd to be an animal rights stall, but the person running it was the person whose partner drove me there, and we only got there during the headliners' set)...

also cos of "V for Vendetta" opening last weekend, again something which i reckon lots of people with a vague interest in Anarchism would go to, and which it might have been cool for us to do a stall, like outside the cinema or something...

we've been talking about this sort of thing at recent meetings a bit, but not really minuted or organised specific things AFAIK...

so i was thinking, maybe we ought to compile a list of gigs/other events (not necessarily just limited to entertainmenty things, but combining with meetings, demos and stuff where we might want to have stalls)... we've got several members of WMA who are in bands AFAIK, and an anarchistically-inclined mate of mine plays bass in a couple of bands who gig locally in Leamington/Coventry, and there are plenty of other bands (like P.A.I.N., Cupid Stunts, etc) in Brum area with an anarchistish sort of ethos... other "bigger" acts as well, like Gawkrodger (i think) mentioned Blak Twang at a recent meeting...

an animal rights bloke i know gave me a flyer at the P.A.I.N. gig for a "benefit for vegan prisoners" at the Market Tavern on 16th April, which sounds like a good starting point (altho there's no contact no on the flyer, but i'm sure at least one of us knows someone involved)...

thoughts/event suggestions?

rebel_lion
Mar 20 2006 15:21

Also i was thinking we could maybe publicise and/or review gigs in Black Star - thoughts?

(BTW, who actually has the stall stuff, as in physical table, as well as stocks of leaflets etc?)

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Mar 20 2006 16:20

i mentioned blak twang. but i think that was this saturday gone, sadly. someone could check though, maybe it's this one coming.

personally i think if we're going to do stalls at shitty punk gigs we should get stuff to sell, because most people who go to that sort of gig and claim to have some kind of "radical" politics a mostly in it for aesthetics and are unlikely to get particularly involved when most of the stuff we're doing is leafletting and stalls, but might want to buy radical looking stuff to help them pose... also, quite apart from that little outburst of misanthropy, it's hard to have decent discussions with people at gigs, because you can hear fuck all. i'm not saying we shouldn't do them, just make sure we're clear what we want to get out of them.

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Mar 20 2006 18:17

Just to say I've done a number of stalls and you sell more stuff on the side of the road then you do at a punk gig. I fucking hate doing stalls at punk gigs, but I don't mind doing stalls. Maybe punks in engerland are different. But over here they never buy anything at gigs.

Lab Rat's picture
Lab Rat
Mar 21 2006 15:38

ive been talkin about doing this for ages. i remember a while back i went to a gig with some copies of resistance and some flyers julien did, and people loved that stuff. i even got rid of a few ravens! i know a few promoters who would be cool with us doing stalls, and several bands who would appreciate our presence. if youse dont want to associate with punks fair enough, i dont mind tryin to pass information on to a few more people.

im building up my label/distro so i was planning to do a merch table for gigs anyway....if you have anything to hand out, just pass it on to me, i'll pass it on at the next few gigs smile

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Mar 21 2006 16:46

i don't mind us raising money out of punks, i just think that that's the main thing we'd find ourselves doing, rather than finding other people to get involved, so we should prepare accordingly. there's no point spending all our money on free stuff to give out and have no one get involved after, when we could get a load of stuff to sell and use the money to get free stuff for doing stalls in other locations more conducive to discussion. i also don't think we should just be doing punk gigs, we should be as varied about it as possible so we don't get associated only with punks. i bet there's loads of liberal indy bands we could flog anti-war stuff to, hip hop gigs we can flog anti-cop stickers, etc. we could look for some jazz nights too wink

mind you, i don't want us becoming a shop either, so any stuff we get should be useful, not just random populist fuck the police nonsense for its own sake. we need to really think about what we can realistically get out of stalls and whether they're worth it is all.

Lab Rat's picture
Lab Rat
Mar 21 2006 20:29

we could look for some jazz nights too wink

ahaha "Welcome, to Jazz Club...."

fair enough, if you can be bothered to watch some shit indie band, go for it wink . diversity is definetly an issue tho, but its not like we ever have loads of stuff to give out/sell anyway....

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Mar 21 2006 21:24

we need to stock up the stall again really, so this is a good discussion to be having before we do. if we want to be doing stalls where we're likely to be able to sell quite a bit of stuff, we can get a load of stuff from freedom/ak whoever. if it's more the sort of stalls where we'll be able to chat for ages, then free stuff is probably better, so we can go photocopy a big batch of stuff and buy less books. i want to avoid having what we had a few years ago, fuckloads of different stuff that we couldn't shift.

davethemagicweasel
May 9 2006 16:26

A couple of upcoming gigs that could be stall friendly:

Genoa Legal Defence Fund

Saturday 20th May @ the Spotted Dog

Some Italian activists are over to talk about the continuing legal battles arising from the Genoa protests, and maybe raise a few quid to support them. As I understand it the plan is to have some bands and films, possibly with Food Not Bombs serving some food.

If anyone can actually help with organising the event then I think they would appreciate it.

Stop The War Fundraiser

Friday 2nd June @ The Sanctuary

Yeah, yeah, we all know swuppies suck ass. But could still be worth attending (maybe distribute some updated Monopolize Resistance pamphlets to the misguided students if were feeling mischevious wink)

Anyway, I got these details from the Radish forums:

Quote:
We are staging a Stop The War Coalition fundraiser gig

called Bands Against Bush.Featuring The

Beat,360,Cracked Actors,Cupid

Stunts,guests,speakers+DJ'sFriday 2nd june The

Sanctuary 7.30pm-2am.Advance tickets available postal

orders,cheques to Stop the War. 25 Cadbury Rd

Birmingham B139BH or contact 07815995974 or email

bandsagainstbushwestmids@yahoo.co.uk.tickets also

available online for credit card bookings through

Ticketweb soon.

Down with Bush and all who ride with him!

Regards,

Alistair Wingate