10/03/2006 Meeting

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
WeTheYouth
Mar 2 2006 23:37
10/03/2006 Meeting

Could we possibly have a discussion on our involvement with the wider anti capitalist and trade union movement in birmingham, as i think it is something which as a group we need to discuss at length.

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Mar 3 2006 00:06

can we had community groups to that, cos they don't really fit into either category and there seem to be a few decent ones about.

also can someone contact j to find out exactly what stuff we have for stalls so we can order anything new we need, last meeting nothing specific was decided from what i remember, and it'll be getting warmer soon so it'd be best to get anything we want from other groups sooner rather than later. i'll have to redo the syb leaflets as i realised i'd photocopied the back upside down embarrassed

WeTheYouth
Mar 3 2006 00:38

Fool!

Ill contact j tommorow, we need to get the prop sorted.

davethemagicweasel
Mar 3 2006 00:39

I think it sounds like a good idea.

I think it might also be a good idea to resurrect the idea of a meeting of non-hierarchical groups.

For this Friday there was gonna be a fair trade thing at cafe one, but then someone's gone and invited swuppies!

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/birmingham/2006/02/334622.html

So, the way I see it, the only way a meeting of this sort is gonna happen is if we organise it ourselves.

What's more, there seem to have been a few new groups that have appeared lately that it would be worth looking into working with - the Warwick uni anarchist group, Coventry anarchists, the radish here at uni - so it seems like a good time to try and get people together in the same room.

Call it the West Midlands Social Forum and make it clear that parties aren't invited circle A

WeTheYouth
Mar 3 2006 01:02

Ive said this before and on the FNB list on the cafeone meetings, why run away soon as the swp et al come along??? Do we need to stay on the fringes of the movement and abandon initiatives to them??

Lab Rat's picture
Lab Rat
Mar 3 2006 02:27

sorry for missing the last few get togethers, im gonna try and get my ass down to this one. any chance i can get my flag back? theres a big empty space on my wall... sad

davethemagicweasel
Mar 3 2006 15:30
WeTheYouth wrote:
Ive said this before and on the FNB list on the cafeone meetings, why run away soon as the swp et al come along??? Do we need to stay on the fringes of the movement and abandon initiatives to them??

I don't mean we should run away from the swp, I actually think the best thing to do would be to challenge them more than we do - maybe even setting up stalls outside their events, leafletting their members, that kind of thing. Thats why I thought discussing this was a good idea, because we will be much better off acting as a group than as individuals - its very hard arguing your case on your own in a room full of swuppies, so if we get ourselves organised and have several people at meetings where they're at then we can back each other up (and we all know we're right anyway, so we shouldn't have too much trouble winning the argument)

Resurrecting the idea of a meeting occurred to me earlier in the light of these new groups having been founded, and this thread seemed like a good place to bring it up. I do think that any such meeting should definitely not include an invitation to the swp though, because frankly I think far more could be achieved without them there.

I'm not saying this is what you're suggesting, but I also think that we would be better off talking about specific issues, campaigns and groups that we are willing to work with and coming up with concrete ideas on how to do that (and actually start approaching people we're willing to work with, rather than just talk about it). Instead of just joining other people's campaigns, which usually means accepting their agenda, we should be looking at getting our own campaigns up and running, or preferably starting them jointly with other groups. And then once we do that sticking with it, even if (especially if!) the swp try and muscle in.

WeTheYouth
Mar 4 2006 01:09

your right we need to openly engage in the wider movement in an organised and effective way.

rebel_lion
Mar 10 2006 13:34

Should be bringing a couple of Cov/Warwick comrades to this one...