DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Why is the Anarchist Community So Unfriendly?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fleur
Apr 11 2016 22:23

You're not going to have type 1 diabetes without high blood sugar. Untreated type 1 will make your sugar levels dangerously high. It can be a symptom of type 2 or pre-diabetes (type 2) so it's worth checking that with your doctor. Having low blood sugar will be something that can cause problems. It can also be a symptom of other things, so push your GP to investigate. However don't panic unnecessarily. It's not necessarily something awful. I used to have hypoglycemia when I was younger, I used to keel over all the time, however I kind of grew out of it and more or less sorted it out with a spot of healthy living and a good diet. Stress is also something which can cause low blood sugar. Whatever the cause though, I'd give you GP a nudge to give it a proper investigation.

Ghost Whistler
Apr 12 2016 08:07

I don't really want to just focus on hypoglycaemia.

Ghost Whistler
Apr 12 2016 09:26
Fleur wrote:
You're not going to have type 1 diabetes without high blood sugar. Untreated type 1 will make your sugar levels dangerously high. It can be a symptom of type 2 or pre-diabetes (type 2) so it's worth checking that with your doctor. Having low blood sugar will be something that can cause problems. It can also be a symptom of other things, so push your GP to investigate. However don't panic unnecessarily. It's not necessarily something awful. I used to have hypoglycemia when I was younger, I used to keel over all the time, however I kind of grew out of it and more or less sorted it out with a spot of healthy living and a good diet. Stress is also something which can cause low blood sugar. Whatever the cause though, I'd give you GP a nudge to give it a proper investigation.

I don't really know what to do about a healthy diet. I try, but there's a lack of affordable options locally (Nisa, who are shit, and Tesco Express who are Tesco Express). I've seen two different nutrionists throughout all this who offered no advice at all other than a simplistic 'try and eat a bit more healthily'. Problem is I can't snack on fruit; if I snack on a banana i jsut get hungry. This is why I say i don't think it's hyoglcyaemia. I eat a bowl of porridge for breakfast, but instead of the opposite I just get hungry about an hour later and feel even worse. It makes no sense and is quite tiring really.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 12 2016 10:10

You'll get different views and different things suit different people but it's a basic fact that carbs provide the most accessible fuel and nutrition. It's also a fact that basic carbs are cheap as fuck. Fruit is more expensive although apples and bananas are pretty cheap. I go to Aldi for fruit and it's just as good as expensive supermarkets for half the price. If you're hungry just eat more. There's nothing inherently wrong in eating a large amount of calories as long as it's from good sources. Eat 3000 calories of rice and veg and you're doing yourself a favour. Eat 3000 calories of burgers and donuts and you're gonna feel like shit.

Anyways, I PMed you mate. Not about food but about the OP.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 12 2016 11:19

Ghost Whistler, sorry to hear about your ESA/benefits worries, although your post was very interesting. If you felt up to it, it would be great if you wanted to write a personal account of your experiences, the bit about the Salvation Army sounded potentially really interesting as well. We would love to have something like that up in our news section. If it's something you're interested in feel free to drop me a private message to discuss (we are keen to have more accounts of things working class people are going through. We have loads of accounts here: http://libcom.org/tags/accounts, and some people have personal blogs like this one: https://libcom.org/tags/poe-mans-dreams)

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Apr 12 2016 11:32

I read in The Guardian this morning that the Salvation Army is the second biggest provider of social services in the country, so something about them wuld be very interesting and might be helpful.

Ghost Whistler
Apr 12 2016 11:47

I keep a blog here: http://quacking-plums.blogspot.co.uk/

It's not as amazing as I'd it to be. Maybe i could share some of it here.

Ghost Whistler
Apr 13 2016 10:07

Thanks for the replies.

I will consider writing an article and have sent a PM.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 13 2016 18:40
Ghost Whistler wrote:
I keep a blog here: http://quacking-plums.blogspot.co.uk/

It's not as amazing as I'd it to be. Maybe i could share some of it here.

hey, that's great! That's exactly the kind of thing we would like more of here. I will message back…