The Tennysons - the EDLs pet band

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
andy g
May 25 2012 13:11
The Tennysons - the EDLs pet band

Hi All

Just a quick heads up.

I'm involved in anti-fascist activity in Leicester and it's come to our attention that a local band called The Tennysons have strong links to the local EDL. Three members are believed to be supporters and the lead singer has family connections to prominent local racists. Band members have been photographed attending EDL events. Their merchadise - shit as it is - includes the "No Surrender!" slogan that knuckle draggers love so much and figures the Rad Hand of Ulster, that well known symbols of violent, sectarian bigotry. EDLers are in regular attendance at their gigs.

I mention this as I know that the band has been playing gigs outside of Leicester - or trying to! We have spread the work about their political affiliations and several gigs have been pulled by venues. In know they were due to play in Camden recently but their invitation was rescinded when the venue was tipped off.

Keep your eyes out for these scum appearing near you!

TommEH
May 30 2012 23:58

Ok, this is complete fabrication. I am the drummer for the band and you can see me in pictures attending the Leicester United against Fascism march last year. We in no way endorse the EDL and we are certainly NOT members! That merchandise you mention is not even ours. Look on our facebook page and you will see our merchandise. That design was sent to us, we didn't ask for it and we certainly don't sell it FOR OBVIOUS REASONS! Granted we can't deny that EDL members attend our gig, but that is only because we do not know every member who attends them. Your statements are on the same level as stating that Neo Nazi's enjoy Bruce Springstein or that Terrorists enjoy JLS, this might be the case but the performers obviously don't know they attend. I don't know where you get your information from but it's wrong. However I do applaud your cause, I hate racism and fascism as much as the next person but please get your facts straight before jumping on the band wagon.
The issues raised by the UAF have been taken into consideration and caused a statement to be published in the Leicester mercury in which promoters deny the accusations and the UAF promote our decision to forward a statement to the Leicester Mercury, please click the link to view the page (http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Band-denies-supports-EDL/story-16226896-detail/story.html) We as a band also plan to maintain communication with the UAF to further help with the issue, to which we are awaiting an email response.
I obviously can't state that individuals can't hold their own opinion, but what I do suggest is that you gather your facts and make an informed opinion instead of blindly following a mis-informed individual(which is supported by the fact we did not even have a gig planned in Camden) who from the looks of it, just wants to create a political stir which could end up in the wrongful demonisation of three local musicians.
Much love,
The Tennysons.

TommEH
May 31 2012 11:21

T.

Jason Cortez
May 31 2012 00:16

A blogger who seems to have a lot of time for the EDL. Things just get murkier.

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
May 31 2012 00:50

I find it amusing that the guy quotes a right-wing SPD politician's nationalist bigotry, praises the EDL, has a go at the UAF for being all PC and quotes some of the band's lyrics "England belongs to me".

If the band really is having all of its gigs pulled, maybe they should try to get their house in order and make a firm stand against not just fascism, but specifically the EDL, saying that they renounce them and that EDL members are specifically not welcome at their gigs.

Then maybe, if they stuck to that, people would believe you.

andy g
May 31 2012 08:19

TommEH

A few points in response to your post

1) I welcome much of what you say and hope it's sincere. I've looked at the statement in The Mercury - note it was made days after my post - and will keeps eyes and ears open. In my book,you could certainly go a lot further in distancing yourself from the EDL and condemning Islamophobia. I also think it significant that the "band source" was unnamed - are Ryan and your bassist totally on board too?

2) this isn't "total fabrication" and you know it. the progress the band have made so far in publicly disentangling themselves for the EDL has only been made in response to pressure from anti-fascists getting your gigs pulled. until very recently band members FB pages showed them "liking" Leicester EDL and showed them as friends with prominent local EDLers. Strangely, these seem to have either disappered or pages have been made private in the last few days......The bands FB page has plenty of supportive comments from people you apparently know personally and who are associated with EDL and have made vile racist postings themselves. Your bassist posted a picture of himself wearing the supposedly unofficial merchandise - a t-shirt bearing the Red Hand of Ulster and the "No Surrender" logo on his FB page. Leics UAF have screen grabs proving all this if need be.

3) Sorry, but you can help the fact that known EDLers including the local "division leader" attend your gigs. It is untrue to say band members couldn't ID them and deny them admission or ask venue managers to do so. Without showing my age NFers turned up to anti-fascist punk band gigs in the seventies and eighties. Those bands didn't just shrug and do nothing. "not my fault guv" doesn't really cover it

4) as people have said durotrigan has well-known EDL and Far Right sympathies. Not helping your case much!!

5) Leicester UAF has had some correspondence after the posting the expose on their website. Lots of it coming from known or suspected EDLers. Again, while you personally may not endorse their views you have a "milieu" around the band that you either have to root out and get rid of or suffer the shit that comes with it. You lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.

Not fabrication - fact. I want to believe that you are sincerely anti-fascist but you don't help when you deny the shit you've (maybe inadvertently) got yourself mixed up in. I won't remove the post (as you request inthe PM you sent) until the matter is actually settled to the satisfaction of local anti-fascists. I hope that is sooner rather than later, for you and for us

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
May 31 2012 09:32
TommEH wrote:
Also, if you would like a satirical view on the situation which portrays some of our feelings a well known blogger has commented on the issue.
http://durotrigan.blogspot.co.uk/

All I see is a very very right wing blog. confused

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 31 2012 10:20
TommEH wrote:
Also, if you would like a satirical view on the situation which portrays some of our feelings a well known blogger has commented on the issue.
http://durotrigan.blogspot.co.uk/

T.

You're not really helping your case, are you? That's a bit like Himmler says you're nice guys so you must be telling the truth. If you're not EDL, then you deserve the award for most clueless band of the year roll eyes

Standfield's picture
Standfield
May 31 2012 11:31

TommEh, take notice of what AndyG says. You can make a stand against these people if you truly wish, and it's not out-of-your control. And your Bruce Springsteen analogy was a bit off. He's playing crowds of 100,000, while you're doing pub gigs. The ratio of EDL to decent gig-goer obviously is quite a lot larger in your instance compared to "the Boss'", so they are not exactly invisible in that regard.

I'm still intrigued though as to WHY exactly some EDL members have chosen to follow you. Coincidence? A pet project of theirs? Or maybe, like AndyG says, you are quite happy to court them. I'm not interrogating you, I'm genuinely interested, honestly.

EDIT.

TommEH
May 31 2012 11:20

Thank you for your comment, it was much appreciated. The things you have mentioned have been taken into consideration and any help at this point would be greatly appreciated in getting through this messy period our band have found themselves in. We have started to book "better" gig as to which not attract any unsavoury characters, but this is increasingly difficult when your organisation is still attempting to boycott them. Unless we are given the benefit of the doubt and a small chance our band will we a self fulfilling prophecy in that we will only be booked for certain gigs. A statement has been published in the mercury and a statement will be said at our next gig. As a show of good will to the UAF we have offered our services as a band to any function supporting their cause. I understand that the statement in the paper is only the first step on the right track but we are willing to do whatever it takes to make things right.
T.

andy g
May 31 2012 11:23

good to hear - as I said we will monitor things and if what you say is straight up then fair enough

andy g
Jun 2 2012 18:59

update for any still following:

having looked at the "repudiation" of the EDL on The Tennysons' FB page I have to say I am less than convinced.

although the point is made that the band do not support the EDL (good!) the suggestion is that gig goers should leave their "political baggage" at the door. hmm...so it's alright for the fash to attend as long as they don't mouth of too much?!?!?

the "Red Hand of Ulster" t-shirt is no longer an unsolicited gift that somehow innocently found its way onto the bassist's torso in a public place and thence onto his FB page and has since been disposed of. apparently it was pro-actively obtained by the bassist and is worn (and by implication continues to be worn)as a sign of affinity with Rangers FC and "the proud people of northern ireland". apparently the band are unaware that Glasgow isn't in the north of ireland. or that the club and its fan base have long been associated with loyalist anti-catholic bigotry - hence the adoption of the red hand (der!). not to mention that the Far Right have long attempted to organise amongst said fans, with some success. apparently the bassist is happy to associate himself with this and considers it "non-political".

I think not.

the lead singer liking the EDL on FB is seemingly either a misunderstanding on UAFs part or an accidental survival of his "youthful curiosity" in Islamophobia. Although he is said to have left the family home to avoid association with racism he still seems on close terms with said racists from postings on the band's page

personally (and I speak for myself only here) I think the band are full of it. they seem to have realised their ability to play in leicester is being undermined and have made perfunctory gestures at distancing themselves from the EDL to get venue managers on side.

if the band welcome fascists to their gigs then frankly, they don't deserve the right to play. anti-fascists will continue to oppose them until they go away or pull their heads out their arses and cut the crap

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Jun 5 2012 07:43

the lead singer liking the fb page is lols

russtizzle
Nov 26 2012 19:32

yo i dont approve of bigotry, but i really don't approve of haters and my friend you are a bonified hater. getting there shows canceled thats weak in my eyes your showing what you claim to be fighting. your hating on them for how they were raised and maybe these beliefs were forced upon them and maybe they have personal experience that made them feel hatred towards others. these guys are putting out real rock n roll something that has been trashed by no talent lip syncing boy bands which is prob what you listen to. all im saying is that your post is calling the kettel black if ya ask me so quit hating and let rock n roll be reborn or maybe your bieber fever has blinded you.

russtizzle USA

radicalgraffiti
Nov 26 2012 19:48

theres nothing wrong with hate properly directed, and i hope no one here doesn't hate racism.

Admin edit: this is a no flaming forum.

andy g
Dec 4 2012 08:27

russtizzle

it is ridiculous to equate hatred of racism with racism itself. one is an aspect of the struggle against oppression, one reinforces it. end of.

the fact you are forced to dress up your non-argument in a series of pathetic insults is a strong indication you have no clue. and The Tennysons as the true embodiment of rock and roll? pullleeaase!

you might be interested to know that TommEH left the band shortly after posting above. From the comments on their FB page it wasn't an amicable split. The repudiation of the EDL disappeared soon after. Not sure what went on but if TommEH stood by his professed anti-racist opinions, good on him