Ken Livingstone

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Offline
Joined: 28-01-11
Nov 21 2011 01:23
Ken Livingstone

Well, it is that time once again. The Opportunist 'red' [sic] Ken is warming up for the london mayoral race. He has gained a shed load of political capital as the cuts begin to hit hard. The guy bugs the hell out of me but i don't really have any good justification for it embarrassed . Apart from being a member of the New Labour party and being an Anti-Semite, what else has he done? I need some mud to sling at the soft left.

N.B His election campaign is promising fiver percent off of travel. What a friggin' joke. That is like 6 pence off the bus fair!

Ramona's picture
Ramona
Offline
Joined: 19-09-03
Nov 21 2011 01:52

Will he team up with Chavez again to give discounted travel for people on benefits? Much as I'm not into Livingston or Chavez, having the govt. of Venezuela's logo all over TfL posters did make me happy

vanilla.ice.baby
Offline
Joined: 9-08-07
Dec 20 2011 15:09
Ramona wrote:
Will he team up with Chavez again to give discounted travel for people on benefits? Much as I'm not into Livingston or Chavez, having the govt. of Venezuela's logo all over TfL posters did make me happy

I thought the discounts themselves were better than the logo.

As for the 5% of travel - well the powers of the mayor are quite limited, but if I lived in London still I'd vote for Ken, just like I did last time - just to stick one in the eye for the Tories if he gets in.

Caiman del Barrio
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Dec 20 2011 15:16
vanilla.ice.baby wrote:
the powers of the mayor are quite limited, but if I lived in London still I'd vote for Ken, just like I did last time - just to stick one in the eye for the Tories if he gets in.

Good ol' socialist cuts.

Ever considered joining Lewisham Council? wink

Caiman del Barrio
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Dec 20 2011 15:19
Ramona wrote:
Will he team up with Chavez again to give discounted travel for people on benefits?

Already exists...

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/press_releases_mayoral/mayor-provides-half-price-bus-and-tram-travel-unemployed-londoners

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Offline
Joined: 18-10-08
Dec 20 2011 18:38

Ken was talking about how the unemployed would feel better if they were forced to get out of bed each morn to forced labour.. "if it gets them out of bed thats a good thing", he's said all kinds of deeply nasty rubbish, he's not some humble nice man at all, even his tie is one of the typical mayoral yellow/gold symbolifications of 'power'. What a hypocritical cunt and as for all his claims - one of the most hilarious being that he's an anarcho-syndicalist, he's poison and anyone that falls for his cuntishness and tells others to vote for him etc is just being naive.

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Offline
Joined: 18-10-08
Dec 20 2011 18:43

By the way, I noticed that fares went up under him too because I used to use public transport very often from about 2006-early 2008, the price of a travelcard pretty clearly went up by about a quid.

I'm still signed up to the mailing list where they try and recruit people, they keep spamming me with emails about how I should join and be humbled by his niceness about fares, so fucking what about fucking fares. I was a bit of a naive idiot myself in early 2008 so volunteered for the phonebank at the TUC HQ where they try and get people to spam people's phones with messages about voting for Ken, they were really cretinous the people running that phonebank, not nice working-class trade union people at all.. these odd sneid middle-class people who tried to make you feel bad about not staying for longer or not doing the other activities (walking around knocking on doors and hassling the shit out of people in general).

All in all epic lolz really, but I just find it strange that people who claim to be anarchists still have illusions about any of the labour party's non-stop propaganda offensive.

vanilla.ice.baby
Offline
Joined: 9-08-07
Dec 21 2011 12:46

I don't have any illusions about him what so ever. I don't have any illusions about my local MP either, a particularly obnoxious former minister and chief whip - still voted for him though.

I would never advocate a vote for any of them, but for the sake of five minutes I don't have a probelm with voting for them.

vanilla.ice.baby
Offline
Joined: 9-08-07
Dec 21 2011 12:46

I don't have any illusions about him what so ever. I don't have any illusions about my local MP either, a particularly obnoxious former minister and chief whip - still voted for him though.

I would never advocate a vote for any of them, but for the sake of five minutes I don't have a probelm with voting for them.

sawa
Offline
Joined: 18-02-09
Dec 22 2011 00:26
communal_pie wrote:
I'm still signed up to the mailing list where they try and recruit people, they keep spamming me with emails about how I should join and be humbled by his niceness about fares, so fucking what about fucking fares. I was a bit of a naive idiot myself in early 2008 so volunteered for the phonebank at the TUC HQ where they try and get people to spam people's phones with messages about voting for Ken, they were really cretinous the people running that phonebank, not nice working-class trade union people at all.. these odd sneid middle-class people who tried to make you feel bad about not staying for longer or not doing the other activities (walking around knocking on doors and hassling the shit out of people in general).

All in all epic lolz really, but I just find it strange that people who claim to be anarchists still have illusions about any of the labour party's non-stop propaganda offensive.

Huh surely its common sense to spam people with emails on ya mailing list and who hasn't hassled people at their doors, god if we had the resources surely we would have call centres pestering people to do stuff over the phone too.

vanilla.ice.baby wrote:
I don't have any illusions about him what so ever. I don't have any illusions about my local MP either, a particularly obnoxious former minister and chief whip - still voted for him though.

I would never advocate a vote for any of them, but for the sake of five minutes I don't have a probelm with voting for them.

Pretty much agree with that, everyone knows he's a corrupt as fuck twat but naught wrong with voting for him probs would if I was still down south. God I've Voted Labour, SNP and Green in the last two elections and will vote for independence when I get the chance, don't mean I agree with any of them particularly. And whilst obv unions association to Labour is awful for unions, their backing is better for Ken/Labour as it'll put limits though obviously mostly insignificant on how shit he can be thus better than Boris innit.

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Offline
Joined: 18-10-08
Dec 22 2011 01:13

Door knocking is a good thing if done with good intentions, but if you're in the wrong then yo can just fuck off, also hassling means hassling - they had previously phoned the same people on the phonebank register and the people in many cases SAID they felt hassled, they'd phoned some people 3 or 4 times within 2 weeks.

No, anarcho call bombardment sounds really bloody annoying, why on earth would you do that.

And that tactic sounds awful leninist "I have no illusions but I'll vote/join/work for/within this corrupt bureaucratic mechanism".

sawa
Offline
Joined: 18-02-09
Dec 22 2011 01:39
communal_pie wrote:
Door knocking is a good thing if done with good intentions, but if you're in the wrong then yo can just fuck off, also hassling means hassling - they had previously phoned the same people on the phonebank register and the people in many cases SAID they felt hassled, they'd phoned some people 3 or 4 times within 2 weeks.

No, anarcho call bombardment sounds really bloody annoying, why on earth would you do that.

And that tactic sounds awful leninist "I have no illusions but I'll vote/join/work for/within this corrupt bureaucratic mechanism".

Ah didn't realise you meant quite that literally, sorry. God yeah 3 or 4 times when people said to stop is fucking creepy and really aint gonna get people to vote for ya.
I meant for whatever community campaigns we are involved in not yo am from x anarchyist organisation going please join/give us money/come to our meeting or whatever.

Leninist, how so?
Voting for =/= working within =/= joining =/= working for whatever corrupt machine, just realising the limitation of where we are now. :]

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Offline
Joined: 18-10-08
Dec 22 2011 02:23

Maybe but it depends on the phonebank and what they are really doing, most of the time I'd be against the idea no doubt.

Stick to what works, voting hasn't worked it's only given more time to bureaucrats and taken away from contributing to better things, joining other organisations also has a proven track record of leading to defeat (espesh for anarchists) and working hand-in-hand with leninists has led to defeat for most groups on the 'ultra-left' in general.