Anarchy in Cornwall

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
orthodoxyproxy's picture
orthodoxyproxy
Aug 13 2011 23:10
Anarchy in Cornwall

Hey everybody!

I'm new to the forums and am from Cornwall. I have been reading Emma Goldman's 'Essays on Anarchism and Pyotr Kropotkin Conquest for Bread and have been reading around anarchism for some 2 years now. I do not really wish for this to be a thread discussing generally about my introduction but instead actively seek advice as to how I should get active within Cornwall - the area I live. I would like to eventually become a writer for Freedom Press in London and offer intellectual contributions to events such as the London riots and the Libyan civil war which have been passionately debated over by me and my university friends into the early hours of the morning! smile

Thanks,

orthodoxyproxy

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Aug 13 2011 23:23

You can always start a group at your university or in your local community, to discuss various issues or just politics in general. Are there any other anarchists around?

orthodoxyproxy's picture
orthodoxyproxy
Aug 13 2011 23:28

In Cornwall, no I doubt it. I have researched online and have found a group called KernowAnarchy but what they seem to represent is a sort of quasi mix of regional nationalism and anarchist sentiments of non-governance. While I feel a sense of belonging to where I was born and where I reside in my parents home it does seem quite paradoxical to claim to subscribe to both anarchism and nationalism - no matter how civic or local it may present itself in. Anarchism for me, has first and foremost been about the social interactions of peoples and the attempt to create a society thereof.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Aug 14 2011 09:59

Proxy, you don't have to live in London to contribute to Freedom Newspaper! Give Rob Ray here on libcom a PM and he'll be able to explain to you how you can become a contributing writer.

You can also consider joining one of the national feds (SolFed, AFed) as an isolated member so that you can plug into that network and also have some support when trying to create a group in your area.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 14 2011 11:28

Hello! Libcom is always looking for new contributors, both in terms of people taking part in discussions here, and posting stuff to the news, library and history sections so do feel free to get involved!

martinh
Aug 14 2011 15:38

Depends what part of Cornwall you are in. About 10-15 years ago there was a group in Penzance and there have been folks in Plymouth (I know it's not Cornwall but is the nearest big city). If you're interested in connecting with folks locally put the word out in as many places as you can (papers, websites etc). Aside from that, I suspect your nearest organised anarchists are in Bristol. There is an ex-SF member in Exeter and there may be others around. But I do appreciate these are all a very long way away.

Regards,

Martin

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Aug 16 2011 10:30

You may well have thought of this idea. If there are any ‘single issue’ groups or campaigns near you, perhaps you could join in, as a way of making contact with other isolated left libertarians. The first time I remember hearing the word ‘anarchist’ was after a YCND meeting, when a school friend asked me if I was one (this based on a contribution I had made). I had no idea what she meant at the time! In such ways contacts can be made and ideas spread.

orthodoxyproxy's picture
orthodoxyproxy
Aug 16 2011 16:05

Thanks everyone already who has made a comment. I live in rural countryside between Bodmin and Wadebridge. Those who I know around my area identify most heavily with Liberal Democrats or isolated Conservative schemers. Thank you Chilli Sauce, I would very much like to contact Rob Ray as I sincerely hope to contribute meaningful, well thought articles to that paper which I see as a still-functioning monument demonstrating the living history of the anarchist movement in this country and indeed of Europe as a whole. I think I may get in touch with Kernow Anarchist Network and see what that might impart. Thanks,

orthodoxyproxy

KriegPhilosophy's picture
KriegPhilosophy
Aug 21 2011 15:56

I pm'ed you.

commonly known ...
Jun 10 2012 07:13

I'm looking to get involved! It lonely sticking it to the man by myself aha! So pm me if there's anyone who can help!

londonme's picture
londonme
Jun 26 2012 13:02

i'm sorry for the off topic post: can somebody tell me how to create a new thread? i can't find the button, link or whatever!!!

Jason Cortez
Jul 24 2012 23:22

click on submit content at the top of the page