DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

The bloody G8

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nick Durie
Offline
Joined: 12-09-04
Feb 2 2005 08:10
The bloody G8

Where are so many comrades so interested in this one-off spectacular event?

Our brothers and sisters are dying in Iraq, our wages and conditions are being attacked and the labour party have made sick benefit an election issue, while the corruption of councils continues to clear areas of the working class to make way for laundered drug money financing huge yuppie flat developments.

I don't understand why this event, which will last only a week, means so much to comrades. There is a tendency on this forum to declare others actions counter-revolutionary. I don't think campaigning against the G8 is counter-revolutionary and I don't think such assertions are helpful, but I do wonder why so many people care so much about this short meet-up of statesmen and bureaucrats.

For Communism

red n black star Nick Durie red n black star

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 10:41

I dunno, maybe people who missed Genoa want another chance?

redyred
Offline
Joined: 20-02-04
Feb 2 2005 10:48

I assume it's because they want the Rebels to Get Together into some kind of Radical Force, a veritable Festival of Free Thinkers, to Make a Noise and really Take the Fight to The Man.

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 10:48
John. wrote:
I dunno, maybe people who missed Genoa want another chance?

That's why I'm going! I want an opportunity to wear a cool mask and get shot with plastic bullets.

Ceannairc
Offline
Joined: 6-04-04
Feb 2 2005 11:52

assuming that this topic is serious...

protesting at a major event like the G8 is an opportunity to voice your objection to these peoples' agenda. It is an event that will be in the press, so that other people will see that there is an opposition. It is a convenient time to get lots of different people together from different organisations and ideologies to show that there are plenty of people who disagree with the status quo. It is also a situation of taking the message to the politicians so that they can't ignore us.

OK so the G8 protests won't have world leaders shaking with fear. They won't kick-start a revolution or bring down the government. On the other hand these things aren't happening anyway, we might as well have our say and use our voices. Sure, going to this event on its own is not enough, but it's better than not going at all IMO. If you disagree then that's up to you dude cos nobody is forcing you to go...

Wendal
Offline
Joined: 4-11-04
Feb 2 2005 12:14
Nick Durie wrote:
Where are so many comrades so interested in this one-off spectacular event?

Our brothers and sisters are dying in Iraq, our wages and conditions are being attacked and the labour party have made sick benefit an election issue, while the corruption of councils continues to clear areas of the working class to make way for laundered drug money financing huge yuppie flat developments.

As i see it this is a way to fight all that. A way that is not possible for the people in Iraq. There was, as you might remember, a big demonstrations at the start of the Iraq. As long as the attack on G8 does not end up as another demonstration(which didnt do much to stop the Iraq-war or making our leaders protest against it), but instead as a sucesfull atemp to blockade the meeting or hunt the capitalists from the meeting it would send a powerfull signal to people around the world. The next time they meet up to plan how to fuck up the life for every non-upperclass person on this planet we will be there again and for ewery sucessfull blockade there will be more people(and new revolutionary networks created). It is a possibility for the attack on G8 to be classwar in the heart of the dragon or simply an demonstration to show that we dislike their actions(which they already know). It up to us.

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 12:55
Nick Durie wrote:
Where are so many comrades so interested in this one-off spectacular event?

I don't understand why this event, which will last only a week, means so much to comrades.

It's precisely because it is a spectacular, one off, week-long event that it is so attractive. Not only does it crystalise so many issues into one, but it also crystalises a whole year of activity into one event. It's much easier to focus on one symbolic aspect opf capitalism than to fight it issue by issue.

This is an explanation Nick, not an excuse. It's related to the nature of the anarchist 'movement' in the UK, which is very much focused on protest and spectacle, since it's rooted in transient student and post-student communities.

Personally I think that, at best, the energy and focus gathered by G8 protests can feed into other events -- the process of mobilisation can put people in touch with each other and give new people a chance to get involved. At worst it can shatter existing activists and create a major distraction.

Anarchoneilist
Offline
Joined: 10-12-04
Feb 2 2005 13:59

Possibly 'cos it WON'T (appear) be dominated by the SWP like the anti-war or anti-fash movement. These kinds of activities, like Seattle and Genoa, are, rightly for once, percieved to be unconnected with any would-be parliamentary party. Its a direct expression of an opinion:FUCK NEO-LIBERALISM!, straight and simple.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 14:09
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
This is an explanation Nick, not an excuse. It's related to the nature of the anarchist 'movement' in the UK, which is very much focused on protest and spectacle,

...albeit the least spectacular spectacle you can imagine...

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 14:43
John. wrote:
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
This is an explanation Nick, not an excuse. It's related to the nature of the anarchist 'movement' in the UK, which is very much focused on protest and spectacle,

...albeit the least spectacular spectacle you can imagine...

Recently John, only recently. You should have seen... [goes off into rambling reminiscences]

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Offline
Joined: 15-03-04
Feb 2 2005 17:26
Quote:
protesting at a major event like the G8 is an opportunity to voice your objection to these peoples' agenda. It is an event that will be in the press, so that other people will see that there is an opposition. It is a convenient time to get lots of different people together from different organisations and ideologies to show that there are plenty of people who disagree with the status quo. It is also a situation of taking the message to the politicians so that they can't ignore us.

considering that most of the coverage of the event that people see will be from the major bourgeois media outlets how the hell is this true, how does it get ''our message'' (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean) across

Quote:
OK so the G8 protests won't have world leaders shaking with fear. They won't kick-start a revolution or bring down the government. On the other hand these things aren't happening anyway, we might as well have our say and use our voices. Sure, going to this event on its own is not enough, but it's better than not going at all IMO. If you disagree then that's up to you dude cos nobody is forcing you to go...

Why should be automatically true that the organisers of dissent wasting thousands of pounds and countless hours on this is ''better than not going at all'' whether its true or not to simply make that statement and assume its true is just a hopeless lack of self-criticism, i think any leftist is entitled to criticise the focus on the G8.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 17:39
cantdocartwheels wrote:
Why should be automatically true that the organisers of dissent wasting thousands of pounds ...

At least 70 fucking grand roll eyes

Well some people got more money than sense I suppose...

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 18:06
John. wrote:
At least 70 fucking grand

Well some people got more money than sense I suppose...

70,000 on what? Is that a projected figure. I've only heard of at the most 3000 being spent on a flyer.

Mike Harman
Offline
Joined: 7-02-06
Feb 2 2005 18:24

That's one flyer though Lazlo. (not that I know anything to prove or disprove the £70K figure, I haven't looked at the G8 board for about 9 months! grin )

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 18:26

There were, I believe, 70,000 flyers printed recently. Maybe that's where the figure came from?

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 18:35

Typical Freedom ruling-clique Modernist Industrial Red lies roll eyes

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 18:37

grin

I was at a social centres meeting where this dude said this £70k social centre fund was set up to rent 7 buildings for a year in the build-up to the G8. Did this not happen in the end?

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 18:38
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
Typical Freedom ruling-clique Modernist Industrial Red lies roll eyes

:greenblackstar: :greenblackstar: :greenblackstar:

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 18:39
John. wrote:
grin

I was at a social centres meeting where this dude said this £70k social centre fund was set up to rent 7 buildings for a year in the build-up to the G8. Did this not happen in the end?

I've heard mention of this money, but it seems a little mythical...

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 18:44
John. wrote:
I was at a social centres meeting where this dude said this £70k social centre fund was set up to rent 7 buildings for a year in the build-up to the G8. Did this not happen in the end?

No, it's true -- but this is a donation for local groups to set up social centres, rather than being blown on mobilising for the G8. THe main link was that the Dissent! network was used to distribute it. Don't you think that social centres are a good idea?

Edit: Once againt the Hysterical Barking Red Dog (Domesticated dog -- not wild) spits its lies roll eyes

:greenblackstar: :greenblackstar:

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 18:46
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
John. wrote:
I was at a social centres meeting where this dude said this £70k social centre fund was set up to rent 7 buildings for a year in the build-up to the G8. Did this not happen in the end?

No, it's true -- but this is a donation for local groups to set up social centres, rather than being blown on mobilising for the G8. THe main link was that the Dissent! network was used to distribute it. Don't you think that social centres are a good idea?

That lot think social centres are wanky activist ghetto blah blah blah roll eyes

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 18:50

Apart from the Autonomie club, of course.

I'll let the Birmingham lot know that they just need to call their place the 'Nurserie' and people will fawn on them.

Let the Green Forces Break Red Fascism Like Tree Roots Through Pavement!

:greenblackstar: :greenblackstar:

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 18:51
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
No, it's true -- but this is a donation for local groups to set up social centres, rather than being blown on mobilising for the G8. THe main link was that the Dissent! network was used to distribute it. Don't you think that social centres are a good idea?

Right okay that's not the way it was explained to me...

have any been set up then? The bookshop in mancs I'm guessing...

Thora - I think *you're* and activist ghetto blah blah roll eyes

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 18:53
John. wrote:
Thora - I think *you're* and activist ghetto blah blah roll eyes

Does that even make sense? roll eyes

:greenblackstar: :greenblackstar: :greenblackstar:

AnarchoAl
Offline
Joined: 29-05-04
Feb 2 2005 18:53

Glasgow's on the way to having its social centre (properties are being looked at).

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 18:56
John. wrote:
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
have any been set up then? The bookshop in mancs I'm guessing...

The Manc one, yes....there were 6 other groups but I can only remember oxford, newcastle and leeds...maybe some of the money went to existing ones like 1 in 12 and Cowley, certainly the Sumac was bunged 1000...

The Oxford collective have decided to rent a room in the East Ox community centre and set up a computer lab and stuff. Actually I'm just off to a meeting to discuss what to do with the place.

No idea about the other groups. I might hear more at the EF! winter moot -- although the Leeds centre is a lefty splinter from EF! and unlikely to be represented there Mr. T

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 18:57
Thora wrote:
John. wrote:
Thora - I think *you're* and activist ghetto blah blah

Does that even make sense?

And he STILL won't admit that language oppresses us!

Rognib the frudrle grunt grint comrades!

:greenblackstar:

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 18:59
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
The Manc one, yes....there were 6 other groups but I can only remember oxford, newcastle and leeds...maybe some of the money went to existing ones like 1 in 12 and Cowley, certainly the Sumac was bunged 1000...

Ah right ok

Freedom got a grand aswell, which helped get the new boiler. Excellent stuff 8)

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Feb 2 2005 19:00
AnarchoAl wrote:
Glasgow's on the way to having its social centre (properties are being looked at).

There you go -- Primping Abotwar of Lies (i.e. john) proved Wrong again

WE ARE WHINING!!!

:greenblackstar: :greenblackstar:

Thora
Offline
Joined: 17-06-04
Feb 2 2005 19:01
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
And he STILL won't admit that language oppresses us!

:greenblackstar:

One day they'll understand... twisted

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 2 2005 19:07
Thora wrote:
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
And he STILL won't admit that language oppresses us!

:greenblackstar:

One day they'll understand... twisted

What a great self-descriptive tagline you have.

It'd be great to be so self-aware.