DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Bordiga's writings on Russia

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
yoshomon
Oct 13 2007 17:02
Bordiga's writings on Russia

The note on the top of Camatte's 'Community and Communism in Russia' on marxists.org is this: "This text was originally intended to be the introduction to a french language edition of two of Amadeo Bordiga's texts on Russia: Russia and Revolution in Marxist Theory and Economic and Social Structure of Russia Today. However this proposed edition was the subject of legal action by the International Communist Party who claimed they held the copyright and was never published. Camatte's introduction was finally published in Invariance Series II, n. 4, 1974. This translation by David Brown was published in London in 1978.

Subsequently part of Bordiga's Economic and Social Structure of Russia Today was published (first by Editions de l'oubli in 1975, later by Spartacus) with a different introduction by Camatte. Russia and Revolution in Marxist Theory itself was finally published by Spartacus in 1978. "

Is it possible to find copies of 'Russia and Revolution in Marxist Theory' in book form?

capricorn
Oct 13 2007 18:51

I've got a copy but it's in French. I must say though that I've not been able to take Camatte seriously since someone told me that he was a "frutarian",ie someone who only eats fruit that's fallen from a tree. I think "nutarian" might be a better description, if only because they can eat nuts that fall off too.

yoshomon
Oct 13 2007 22:27

Why would someone's dietary choice affect your view of their ideas? I think that's what is called "lifestylism"...

lurdan
Oct 13 2007 22:31
yoshomon wrote:
Is it possible to find copies of 'Russia and Revolution in Marxist Theory' in book form?

Not in English. The successors to Spartacus still exist but no longer hold stocks of the French edition referred to, and since the expansion of Bordiga's cult status over the last decade second hand copies of it are much harder to come by. A new French translation was published in issue 21 of the journal (Dis)continuité. Available from François Bochet, Le moulin des chapelles, 87 800 Janailhac, France. When it was published it cost 18 euros.

Alf's picture
Alf
Oct 14 2007 15:06

"must say though that I've not been able to take Camatte seriously since someone told me that he was a "frutarian",ie someone who only eats fruit that's fallen from a tree. I think "nutarian" might be a better description, if only because they can eat nuts that fall off too".

Fair enough, but that's the 'later' Camatte who came to the conclusion that capital had conquered all and that the proletariat had lost all revolutionary potential. Some of his earlier work - in particular the efforts to disseminate some of Bordiga's lesser known writings - is worth checking out. Bordiga et le passion du communisme is an excellent compilation, for example.