What do you guys make of Nikkita Khruschev - liberator or revisionist?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stalinski
Jun 24 2014 08:23

What is that supposed to prove?

factvalue
Jun 24 2014 08:33

Leonid Trolsky wrote:

Quote:
I prefer Game of Thrones actually, though it's tamer than people make out.

How about

?

factvalue
Jun 24 2014 08:38

Trolsky wrote:

Quote:
What is that supposed to prove?

I think it means feeding time is over. Isn't 'uncle' Jo missing you back at Icke HQ?

Ablokeimet
Jun 24 2014 14:36
Stalinski wrote:
Entdinglichung wrote:
... the only theoretical work published by the Khmer Rouge is Khieu Samphan's Cambodia's Economy and Industrial Development from 1959 which in inspired by the German 19th century bourgeois economist Friedrich List ...

forget about the books - I'm saying he came back to Cambo, having spent time in France, and was then uttterly horrified by the peverse uber-bourgeois nature of his own country, and set about changing it. That was a brave act, though perhaps he could have implemented change more gradually.

The problem wasn't the speed at which Khieu Samphan and Pol Pot tried to move, but the direction in which they moved. Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge was actually a political and economic throwback. It was an attempt to re-establish an idealised Khmer Kingdom based on compulsory State service as was standard during the glory days of Angkor Wat. Rolling Cambodia back to pre-capitalist social relations could only be achieved, of course, with great violence.

One book which I found very valuable was How Pol Pot Came to Power by Ben Kiernan. The final chapter of the book sets out how the CPK went through a faction fight at the same time as it was conducting its final assault on Lon Nol's regime. Almost as the Khmer Rouge marched into Phnom Penh, the word went out "The workers are no longer the base. The peasants are the base". It was the definitive repudiation of Marx. Pol Pot had won the faction fight.

freemind
Jun 24 2014 21:06

Hangman and represser of the Mahknovists.A natural product and hardly a breath of fresh air re:Stalinism.

Stalinski
Jun 25 2014 02:07
Ablokeimet wrote:
One book which I found very valuable was How Pol Pot Came to Power by Ben Kiernan. The final chapter of the book sets out how the CPK went through a faction fight at the same time as it was conducting its final assault on Lon Nol's regime. Almost as the Khmer Rouge marched into Phnom Penh, the word went out "The workers are no longer the base. The peasants are the base". It was the definitive repudiation of Marx. Pol Pot had won the faction fight.

Ok, but there wasn't really a proletariat in Cambo at that time, very little of one now even. So it HAD to be a form of Maoism, peasants were the majority.

How else could Pol Pot's ideas been tried?