Uno-Sekine Economics

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
xxzxcuzxme
May 28 2015 10:13
Uno-Sekine Economics

Does anyone know anything about this 'school' of Marxist economics? A couple of months back I got John Bell's book Capitalism and the Dialectic, which appears to be the most comprehensive English language text on Kozo Uno's, Thomas Sekine's and (abit) Makoto Itoh's collective works. From my skim reading (work has pushed a full reading back until now) it appears to be a way of approaching Marx's multiple forms of value through a multifaceted Hegalian dialectical reading. The introduction to Bell's book mentions three core premises:

1. The "pure" theory of Capital, freed from the complications of history – highly abstract exercises in dialectical logic on the basic, core dynamics of capitalist economy.

2. A "middle" level, which traces the general development of capitalism through distinct historical stages – mercantilism, classical liberalism and so on.

3. The analysis of the 'messy' details of capitalist economy in the real world, concentrating on particular narratives rather than an overall picture.

Hopefully the book will shed some light (as it seems the majority of the primary material is as yet still untranslated from the original Japanese), but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/ knowledge on it, as it's the first time I've come across a dialectical analysis applied to a pure economic theory.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 28 2015 11:52

according to a friend (to whom I sadly have lost contact), there is a lot of mostly untranslated interesting stuff from Marxist thinkers from Japan (he mentioned Uno as important) but the only stuff I read (in German) was some stuff about a debate about the character of Japanese society 17th-20th century: feudal (CP's position) or early capitalist (left wing of the former SP) or a hybrid mode of production

some stuff from Japan online: https://www.marxists.org/subject/japan/

xxzxcuzxme
Jun 9 2015 17:36

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Jun 14 2015 02:46

From memory the work by Itoh and Lapavitsas is probably the most applied work from this approach available in English.