DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Unabridged Das Kapital Audiobook

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
yoda's walking stick
May 9 2011 21:32
Unabridged Das Kapital Audiobook

I commute to work and haven't really had time to read my paperback copy of Das kapital. Does anyone know of an unabridged audio book copy of it. My computer is unable to burn CDs, so if there is a free home made MP3 of it, it won't be much use. I need something from Amazon, but I'm having trouble finding anything.

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
May 9 2011 21:44

http://librivox.org/capital-volume-1-by-karl-marx/

NoRefunds's picture
NoRefunds
May 9 2011 23:30

I'd recommend an abridged version if anything, it takes essentially a Marxian priest to decode exactly what it is Marx is trying to get across, even if I do find a lot of it to be wrong. A lot of this has to do with the fact that many of the things which should have been in Vol 1 were put into Vol 3, making it, as a collective work, very incomprehensible. There are some high quality abridged versions of the book, and I mean high quality ones. I believe I read the 1932 Carter House edition, which had roughly 10 years worth of effort put into abridging it, and was very well done.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 10 2011 00:38
yoda's walking stick wrote:
I commute to work and haven't really had time to read my paperback copy of Das kapital. Does anyone know of an unabridged audio book copy of it. My computer is unable to burn CDs, so if there is a free home made MP3 of it, it won't be much use. I need something from Amazon, but I'm having trouble finding anything.

If it is software then it should take about five minutes to get some new software otherwise you can buy a new CD drive for £30 or less. Probably worth the investment.

Pla
May 10 2011 17:51

I could not think of a worse book to listen to than Capital.

Boris Badenov
May 10 2011 18:47

Impossible to find a good "professional" version in my experience. Librivox can occasionally be useful, but a lot of their stuff is just too amateurish. If only Morgan Freeman would step up to the plate.

Harrison
May 10 2011 19:00
yoda's walking stick wrote:

David Harvey's lectures on Capital. Free, comes pre-packed as iTunes podcasts, summarises without distorting, provides interesting info on commonly misinterpreted bits of Capital (including where Lenin misinterpreted Marx's dialectical method), tells you why economic determinism is bad etc etc. Can't recommend them enough.

Plus Harvey is pretty friendly to libertarianism even though he is not a libertarian, and teaches Capital in a pluralist way
http://davidharvey.org/

Indigo's picture
Indigo
May 10 2011 19:35

I've been reading capital and following up each chapter with the lecture by david harvey on youtube, it makes things much easier to grasp. really good stuff!