Liberalism

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Apr 23 2013 11:09
Liberalism

Who and what texts do I simply have to read with regards economics and politics if I want to understand liberalism?

x

NannerNannerNan...
Apr 23 2013 11:57

It's probably not what you're looking for, but I'll recommend it anyway: Kropotkin's The Great French Revolution. Really, anything on the french revolution, I heard Wallerstein's weird World-Systems series has a book about 'centrist liberalism' (he's american) and its relation to the french revolution. If you like reading books so utterly dense and lifeless you'll want to throw it out, the Oxford history of the french revolution is something to pick up.

Seriously, I want this thread to keep on going - I think this seems quite promising!

Tyrion's picture
Tyrion
Apr 23 2013 14:09

Karl Polanyi in The Great Transformation goes into some detail about the analyses of Adam Smith, David Ricardo, etc. Since the book traces the rise of capitalism in Europe and specifically the UK, it also gives the historical context necessary to understanding these ideas. It's really an excellent work in general.

wojtek
Jan 15 2015 22:58

What about the original works? Are there any decent anthologies, like a condensed PPE reading list?