The Incomplete Marx (nerd questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Apr 18 2012 05:33
The Incomplete Marx (nerd questions

Hi All, so after all the hype on the thread about reprints I went out and borrowed a copy and boy is it pretty awesome. However I can't seem to find anything else by/about Felton C Shortall - what is the context this book came out off, can anyone tell me where is sat in debates of the time? Its use of both Hegel and Negri reminds me of early Open Marxism - am I on the right track here?
cheers
Dave

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 18 2012 08:45

Aufheben put out the text, as a bit of a clue…

Android
Apr 18 2012 09:02

Yeah, I think I remember someone mentioning ages ago on an old thread that F. Shortall has links with Aufheben.

The only other works that I've come across is the exchange with Lebowitz published in Historical Materialism and the text 'Fixed and Circulating Capital' published in Capital & Class in either the late 1980s or early 1990s:

Intro. to 'Fixed and Circulating Capital' wrote:
Felton Shortall argues that in analysing capital in terms of constant and variable capital in order to bring out the inner nature of capitalist relations of production, Marx was forced to suppress the distinction between fixed and circulating capital. By means of an analysis of the circuits of capital, the significance of the concepts of fixed and circulating capital is established and the implications for Marxian theory of price formation, divisions within the capitalist class and the periodisation of capitalism discussed

grumpty cat, if I am right you are an academic of some sort so shouldn't have trouble getting hold of the texts mentioned. If anyone should want the latter text I can send it to them or alternatively post it in the library here.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 18 2012 10:18

The book is advertised in the back of print copies of Aufheben. As I understand it (this is all before my time), there used to be a group called Brighton Autonomists, which was sort of the class struggle/communist wing of the 1990s direct action scene (anti-roads, RTS etc). I think they had various reading groups on Capital and/or the Grundrisse, as well as being quite influenced by Negri (Marx beyond Marx), and this book (as well as Aufheben, and therefore Endnotes) are all somewhat descendent from this milieu.

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Apr 21 2012 00:34

Ta all