Anarchism and theatrics

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
BrazillianJiuJitsu1992's picture
BrazillianJiuJi...
Feb 5 2012 18:28
Railyon wrote:
BrazillianJiuJitsu1992 wrote:
Erm regular people sick of lefty trendy fucks going on about random inane shit like the word cunt.

You sound like we are trying to take your candy.

your such a... bah fuck it, im going to bait chelsea fans.

: )

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Feb 5 2012 18:56
Erm regular people sick of lefty trendy fucks going on about random inane shit like the word cunt.

who exactly are these mysterious "regular people" you keep going on about? do they have a newsletter of some sort?

I mean, I've been to university so clearly my opinion doesn't count, but I am a bit sensitive when it comes to offensive language directed at disabled people for example - "cripple", "retard" and so on. Same with your attitude towards women and students. Just seems like being a dick for the sake of it.

I'm not particularly over-sensitive fwiw, fond of "dark humour" and can swear a blue streak with the best of them. But still.

BrazillianJiuJitsu1992's picture
BrazillianJiuJi...
Feb 5 2012 19:03

Ok then, if the word retard is seriously offensive then anyone offended sorry, however I am not just going to stop using words because a few anarchists got buthurt over it.

For example calling someone a queer, a nigger etc are all offensive because its saying being black or gay is somehow bad, however, surely it is bad to be retarded, my dads cousin has down syndrome yet all of his family use the word casually, its just like calling someone thick or stupid.

Cripple isn't as it is malicious and can only be used at someone who is handicapped, retard clearly isn't an insult that in everyday use, is aimed at actually disabled people ffs.

surely we all have more important squabbles than people calling someone a cunt or a retard.

That said genuinely if someone is offended by this then sincere apologies, however I don't accept that we should have to stop using it out of some bleeding heart liberal moral crusade.

gypsy
Feb 5 2012 21:22
Ok then, if the word retard is seriously offensive then anyone offended sorry, however I am not just going to stop using words because a few anarchists got buthurt over it.

Aye its offensive when you post a video of a guy with mental problems and call him a retard. Don't know just pissed me off.

p.s- stop being a wee cunt

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Feb 5 2012 21:45
however, surely it is bad to be retarded, my dads cousin has down syndrome yet all of his family use the word casually, its just like calling someone thick or stupid.

No it isn't 'bad' to be 'retarded'. A condition like Downs Syndrome is certainly atypical, and gives you very different life chances than non-Downs people but conceptualising it as 'bad' deeply stigmatises it.

How we conceptualise such conditions influences how we treat people with them. Short and long-sightedness would have been much bigger 'disabilities' prior to the development of spectacles. Now, technology is so good that we wouldn't even understand it as a disability in that sense, except perhaps in extreme cases or for certain jobs. For all intents and purposes, people with glasses have no particular trouble navigating the world.

We should be trying to constructa world that can accomodate the vast range of human attributes, physical and mental, while also trying to treat people particular conditions where possible. Some conditions may never have a cure, some may have it round the corner, but regardless we want a world where we minimise the impact it has on a person's ability to function socially. Characterising conditons as 'bad' in principle is unhelpful.

I'm sure there's some people here who are a bit better with disability stuff than me who might be able to chime in.

We all get sloppy with our language, and there isn't an equivalence between one word and another. Just don't start sounding like Richard Littlejohn when people ask you to be a bit more thoughtful.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 5 2012 23:30

And of course this isn't about PC censorship - we all make jokes and engage in all sorts of anti-PC banter with our mates. But libcom.org isn't our mates at the pub, it's a website aimed at helping ourselves, as workers improve our conditions and our world - including the 52% of us who are women, the 15-odd % of us who are disabled, the 50-odd % of us who will have gone to university etc

tastybrain
Feb 6 2012 19:16
Steven. wrote:
the 50-odd % of us who will have gone to university etc

Middle class cunts!!!11!

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Feb 6 2012 21:02

proletarian.
Feb 12 2012 00:29

BJJ, what about if you marched through a town and put on plays and maybe a circus or something then went to the next town and so on?

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Feb 12 2012 12:06

In a similar vein to what choccy said here's a plug for an article I wrote about disability and communism: http://libcom.org/library/communism-real-movement-abolish-disability And on the specific issue of down's is perfectly possible for people with downs to live happy fulfilling lives. They are far more routinely screwed over than people without learning disabilities (the rape stats for people with learning disabilities are appalling, for instance) but it doesn't have to be that way.

On the issue of language I care far more about intent than particular words and it's obviously fine when you're friends with someone to use words in a joking way which you would never use to a strange: I frequently call my housemate who has cerebal paulsy a spaz, and in return she calls me a mental and a psycho. But if some one tells you that most people of a particular group don't like the use of a word that originally referred in a non-offensive way to them to be used as a term of abuse for them or others (like retard/ed) then it just seems deliberately rude not to hold back on using it. There are plenty of other words which do the same job you can use instead. How many dozens synonyms for stupid are there in the English language. It seems absurd to insist on wanting to keep on using retard, which has only been used that way since the 80s.

EGADS
Feb 12 2012 12:51
So yours can come from a different place but me saying pc police has to come from one perspective, dishonest prick lol.

Mainly because it actually does - that you, Littlejohn and other dipshits who whine about "political correctness" are being hounded by the evil forces of the PC Brigade™ when in reality you're just being called out for being a cock.

Toms's picture
Toms
Jun 22 2012 23:26
Toms wrote:
In reference to the link, I am not saying property damage is wrong in any way I am saying in the context of the black block its stupid, whats the point, if it was a bunch of workers smashing into a band in militant fashion great, if its a bunch of uni kids and a few workers with no mass support its pretty fucking stupic surely?

These kind of adventurist stunts seem eliteist and dont do anything for me or my workmates or any other workers. It seems like the old RAF abandoning mass movement type scenario. comparing it to mass action and violence of the past whic were not disconnected with the masses is a little dishonest to say the least.

This reminds me that I have a text by the Cangaceiros called "Defensa incondicional de los vândalos del 1 de Deciembre" that deals a lot with what your asking. I'll try to translate it next week and put it in the Library (I'm already translating something at the moment, so I can't do that now)

Cheers mate <3

Ok, the text is now up

Though I did some mistakes in chapter 2 and 3 that I've since edited, but are waiting approval.

Sorry for the delay.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jun 23 2012 10:09

"Uni" is college. There are some differences I think, depending where you are.

NannerNannerNan...
Sep 11 2012 13:33
action_now wrote:
yes, we must abandon our own ideas and opinions on style in order to appear normal.

Yes, the absolutely important action of masturbating furiously in public is essential to building a working class movement

Edit
Also masturbating furiously equals black cloc and the like.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Sep 11 2012 17:15
NannerNannerNannerNannerNanner wrote:

Edit
Also masturbating furiously equals black cloc and the like.

It equals a black cock if you're not careful.

Topic locked