London Mayday Weekend

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
coffeemachine
Apr 2 2006 11:50
London Mayday Weekend

LONDON MAYDAY WEEKEND

SATURDAY 29th

Anarchism06: 21st Century Ideas and Action.

The Square Social Centre

21 Russell Square

London WC1

(nearest tube: Russell Square)

1 - 4pm - Well known speakers from 'the anarchist movement', past, present & future (!) open the conference at the 2 day conference celebrating anarchism as a positive political force

"a way of getting the various strands and political movements together, feeding off each other and hopefully learning from each other, building trust and confidence in our abilities to connect and develop strategies together, as well as fostering solidarity and a sense of collective purpose in what we do".

followed by:

4 - 6pm - WORKPLACE ORGANISING TRAINING

with Adam Lincoln, IWW dual carder and experienced trade unionist.

6 - 7.30pm - 80th anniversary commemoration of the 1926 GENERAL STRIKE.

Presentation: The bitter lock-out, Days of hope in the General Strike, and the betrayal by the TUC - Dave Douglass, NUM & Wobbly veteran with cookies and Zapatista coffee

Organised by the LONDON IWW

8 - 1am - Saturday Social - benefit night

Live bands, dj's, film showings, solidarity bar & food

SUNDAY 30th April

Anarchism06 - Discussion day

1 - 6pm - discussions based on current issues along the following themes:-

- workplace struggles

- community struggles

- social struggles

- international struggles

(confirmed so far: autonomous workers struggles with Gate Gourmet, Laing O'rourke workers & tube cleaners; the current uprisings in France from those who have been involved; as well as the recent Broadway Market occupation in Hackney against gentrification; plus a discussion on why today there is so few genuine working class anarchists).

There are still available places if people, or their groups, wish to contribute discussion topics. Should ideally fall within the 4 themes with the emphasis of how anarchism does, or should, positively contribute to these struggles

email: anarchism2006@hushmail.com

or check londonsocialcentre.org.uk nearer the day for a full programme of events

MONDAY 1st May - MAYDAY

- Autonomous Bloc on the TUC March

Meet Midday, Clerkenwell Green, London EC1

"This Mayday we invite all self-organised workers, migrant workers, non-unionised workers, agency workers, cash in hand workers, dole claimants, free-lancers, work rejecters and all of those who fall outside of traditional union organisation to join our autonomous bloc on the TUC march".

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 2 2006 22:42

Looks like a packed program! Who's been organising it?

ftony
Apr 3 2006 09:52

yeah, looks good. but that means i'll have to finish my essays by the 28th, five days early! sad

is this going to somehow fit in with the ring around the SOCPA exclusion zone?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 3 2006 18:25
coffeemachine wrote:
MONDAY 1st May - MAYDAY

"This Mayday we invite all self-organised workers, migrant workers, non-unionised workers, agency workers, cash in hand workers, dole claimants, free-lancers, work rejecters and all of those who fall outside of traditional union organisation to join our autonomous bloc on the TUC march".

Do you not want workers who are in conventional trade unions? If not why now? There are what nearly 8million of us.

ftony
Apr 3 2006 23:26

i'm sure if you ask nicely we will let youse lame-asses join the party wink

i admit, it's not the best wording in the world

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 4 2006 01:07
ftony wrote:
i'm sure if you ask nicely we will let youse lame-asses join the party wink

i admit, it's not the best wording in the world

It's something I've noticed coming out of the groups who go on about "precarity" and stuff - they seem to want to divide the class along lines of permanent or temporary labour, which is of course playing straight into the hands of capital.

For example, the sublimely bizarre Middlesex Declaration of beyond ESF:

Quote:
We call onto all our European sisters and brothers, be they autonomous marxists, postindustrial anarchists, syndicalists, feminists, antifas, queers, anarchogreens, hacktivists, cognitive workers, casualized laborers, outsourced and/or subcontracted employees and the like, to network and organize for a common social and political action in Europe.

Temps' best hope is to to unite alongside permanent workers in the same employment, not try to organise as a force alone in themselves.

ftony
Apr 4 2006 12:09

true john, very true

edit: got rid of detail

the button's picture
the button
Apr 4 2006 12:18
ftony wrote:
is this a deliberate move? i'd like to go tonight but now i dunno if it's on or not

How are they expected to slag off people for not getting involved, if they let people know about things? wink

Pilgrim
Apr 4 2006 16:28

I'm definitely interested in going to this event.

What sort of accomodation would be laid on for those coming from far off? Crash space? Hostel? If I'm coming for both days I'll need to know whether or not I've got a place to crash.

ftony
Apr 4 2006 16:39

i've heard people might be booking out the savoy for the weekend, but there's a problem with their fire alarm system so that might fall through and you might have to make do with a floor wink

seriously though. the Square has previously let out some crash space for big events (e.g. no borders gathering last month), but because there are also people living there full time and there have been disagreements around events recently, such issues are pretty much up in the air.

i'd PM raw if i were you - he seems to be the man in the know

ftony
Apr 4 2006 18:20

ah crap, can't make it to the meeting

not that me writing this makes any difference roll eyes

hotautumn
Apr 5 2006 11:09
John. wrote:
coffeemachine wrote:
MONDAY 1st May - MAYDAY

Do you not want workers who are in conventional trade unions? If not why now? There are what nearly 8million of us.

The fact that people are calling for a bloc composed in some parts by those who fall outside tradional trade union representation in no way implies that those mobilising for this demo do not support the rank and file inside union structures. red n black star

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 5 2006 11:12
hotautumn wrote:
John. wrote:
to join our autonomous bloc on the TUC march".[/i]

Quote:
The fact that people are calling for a bloc composed in some parts by those who fall outside tradional trade union representation in no way implies that those mobilising for this demo do not support the rank and file inside union structures. red n black star

I would assume that would be the case, but they are quite clearly omitted from this invitation, as are unionised or even non-unionised permanent workers from loads of this "precarity" propaganda stuff. And I don't see any good reason why...

hotautumn
Apr 5 2006 11:17

agreed. There is another text doing the rounds that argues an 'inside and against' position to unions that will be ready for mayday, this mentions those workers in question. smile

None the less I think the event will complement an excellent weekend of political debate that may help to situate the 'scene' back inside workers struggle.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 5 2006 11:19
hotautumn wrote:
There is another text doing the rounds that argues an 'inside and against' position to unions that will be ready for mayday, this mentions those workers in question. smile

If its possible would be cool to see it online wink

hotautumn
Apr 5 2006 11:20
rkn wrote:
hotautumn wrote:
There is another text doing the rounds that argues an 'inside and against' position to unions that will be ready for mayday, this mentions those workers in question. smile

If its possible would be cool to see it online ;)

will speak to the group and get back to you. red n black star

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 5 2006 11:24

Cool.. whose putting it out btw?

hotautumn
Apr 5 2006 11:30

london mayday group, if thats our name smile by this i mean i dont believe we have yet discussed an identity for the propoganda to come from. red n black star

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Apr 5 2006 11:58
ftony wrote:
seriously though. the Square has previously let out some crash space for big events (e.g. no borders gathering last month), but because there are also people living there full time and there have been disagreements around events recently

yes iuts such a shame there's so few empty buildings in london and residential squatters must be crammed in with social centre projects wink

i may well go to this smile

ftony
Apr 5 2006 12:03
Quote:
i mean i dont believe we have yet discussed an identity for the propoganda to come from. red n black star

although the red/black star kind of gives it away a little! wink

hotautumn
Apr 5 2006 16:32

Im interested in constructing a proposal at the mayday conference regarding developing 'a movement of means'.

When I was recently in France, I witnessed various 'gangs' including the crs, suberb youth, unions, trots, the chirac mafia and anarchos argue their position inside capital as crisis unfolds around them.

What was interesting was to witness and on some levels engage with anarchists on the ground there.

I came away feeling that Anarchism fails to connect to people because it has no means (that is to say no real power) under capital. Therefore when a crisis develops and anarchists seek to engage they only have ideology to offer. Ideology is no replacement for access to food, shelter or security and people are unlikely to leap with us into deepening a crisis if we cannot offer them anything tangiable.

For example, at the moment their seems to be several social centres in the uk. Rather than hand them offer exclusively to activists to organise 'anti-capitalist actions' inside , why not offer what limited means we have to other excluded groups on the basis of solidarity. for example, offices for self organised workers who may not be able to meet in the workplace etc. On some levels this is being attempted at the Square with the 'no borders' office.

If anyone is interested in helping to flesh out this proposal could they please pm me. red n black star

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 5 2006 17:54

Might want to post that in organise if you wanted to hear more people's opinions on the idea.

Doesnt seem like a bad one tho.

coffeemachine
Apr 26 2006 18:13

London Mayday Weekend

Saturday 29th April – Monday May 1st 2006

At: The Square

The Square Social Centre

21 Russell Square

London WC1

(nearest tube: Russell Square or 10min walk from Euston Station)

SATURDAY 29th APRIL

ANARCHISM 06

A 2 day conference celebrating the politics, ideas & history of anarchism.

A way of getting the various strands and political movements together (as well as those new to anarchism), feeding off, and hopefully learning, from each other, building trust and confidence in our abilities to connect and develop strategies together, as well as fostering solidarity and a sense of collective purpose in what we do.

email: anarchism06@hushmail.com

1pm - 4pm

everything you wanted to know about anarchism but were afraid to ask.

4 pm – 6pm

WORKPLACE ORGANISING TRAINING

with Adam Lincoln, IWW dual carder and experienced trade unionist.

6pm – 7.30pm

80th Anniversary Commemoration of the 1926 GENERAL STRIKE

Presentation by Dave Douglass, NUM & Wobbly veteran on the bitter lock-out, days of hope in the General Strike, and the betrayal by the TUC.

Both Organised by the London Industrial Workers of the World

email: londoniww@iww.org

7.30pm – 9pm

Land and Freedom. A moving Ken Loach film about a young Liverpudlian who joins the fight against fascism during the Spanish civil war

9pm – 1am

Benefit Night. Fundraiser for the sacked Gate Gourmet workers

featuring live bands, the Sattelites ('combat rock') the Loveless (downtrodden blues) others tbc, d.js, food & drink (donation on the door £5/£3)

SUNDAY 30TH APRIL

1pm - 5pm

ANARCHISM 06 Discussion day

Programme:

1-2pm autonomous workers struggles / / Social centres – open radical public space

2–3pm The political significance of Mayday / / Broadway Market campaign & the gentrification of Hackney

3-4pm class struggles in France / / Anarchist newspaper

4-5pm solidarity groups for London / / Iranian labour struggles an capital

* autonomous workers struggles

sacked Gate Gourmet workers, Laing O’rourke workers & tube cleaners talk about their experiences & how we can successfully organise ourselves in the workplace. A chance for us to create some kind of dialogue with ongoing struggles

* Social centres – open radical public space

The idea and practice of social centres has developed over the past five years. Though few in number, social centres provides a radical public space which challenge the logic of the market, wage labour and authority. This discussion aims to further clarify and develop some ideas around social centres and how they can fully realise their potential.

* The political significance of Mayday

What does mayday mean to anarchists, why it’s celebrated & why an autonomous bloc has be organised on the TUC march.

* class struggles in France – French radicals talk about the recent uprisings in Paris & across France against the governments new labour laws. University occupations to running street battles and mass demonstrations; comparisons to Paris 68 are obvious, yet what is the lasting political significance of these events?

* Broadway Market campaign & the gentrification of Hackney.

The recent occupation of Tony's Cafe in Hackney is an example of how grassroots organising can be effective especially when people get together and fight against issues that concern them. Those involved in the campaign talk about what happened and the wider issue of gentrification destroying communities

* An anarchist newspaper

Can we produce a mass circulation anarchist newspaper? Ian Bone thinks we can and draws on his experience with 'Alarm' in Swansea, the 'Bristolian' and 'Class War' to make the case. Then....lets do it!'

* Solidarity Groups for London - Why Anarchists Should Organise Locally

As anarchists, we often see our ideas as being different from the rest of society’s, but on every street there are people who despise authority, are sick of their boss’s pay rises and tired of watching their area turn into a yuppie playground. We can’t change society on our own, we need a mass wide-reaching movement. By organising locally, we can develop networks and initiatives to dismantle the isolated existence of modern capitalism and build on our common dreams. Haringey Solidarity Group has been organising with relative success for nearly 15 years and are keen to encourage other people to get active on a community level. Come along to find out what you can do in your area.

* Iranian labour struggles and capital

Non party aligned anti-authoritarian Iran workers discuss the relationship between oil & capital, especially significant given the way the US is laying claims in the area of the middle east.

The Square Social Centre

21 Russell Square

London WC1

(nearest tube: Russell Square or 10 min walk from Euston station)

Map: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530091&y=18203

4&z=1&sv=russell+square&st=6&tl=Russell+Square,+London,+WC1b&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Monday May 1st – MAYDAY

Autonomous bloc on the TUC march. Meet Midday, Clerkenwell Green, EC1 (Nearest tube:Farringdon)

Jason Cortez
Apr 26 2006 22:02

Any child care on offer?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Apr 27 2006 01:41
coffeemachine wrote:

Haringey Solidarity Group has been organising with relative success for nearly 15 years and are keen to encourage other people to get active on a community level. Come along to find out what you can do in your area.

Organising is a bitch.

Quote:
Can we produce a mass circulation anarchist newspaper? Ian Bone thinks we can and draws on his experience with 'Alarm' in Swansea, the 'Bristolian' and 'Class War' to make the case. Then....lets do it!'

Didn;t Ian bone help set up Class War? What is wrong with Class War? (never even seen it myself)

ftony
Apr 27 2006 09:03
Quote:
Any child care on offer?

probably some sort of accomodation for kids. but you'll have to contact the folks organising it i think.

coffeemachine
Apr 27 2006 20:04

unfortunately no child care available, although kids welcome, maybe if people would like to 'self-organise' something i think it would be more than appreciated.

Benefit Night. SATURDAY 29TH APRIL. Fundraiser for the sacked Gate Gourmet workers

featuring live bands, Known (Dark rock from south london), the Sattelites (combat rock) the Loveless (downtrodden blues), d.js, film screenings, food & drink (donation on the door £5/£3)

150 workers sacked by Gate Gourmet last year are still fighting to regain their jobs. Unable to claim benefits or find new employment (plus the T & G one of the 'big four' unions who were supposed to represent them have stopped their hardship fund) they are struggling to make ends meet. This benefit is to show solidarity for those workers.

ftony
May 1 2006 08:27

hi folks, to anyone reading this DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE RAIN!! i've checked the forecast and it should be drying up by lunch time 8)

Big Brother
May 2 2006 17:01

Right so what happen? I was there and it was kinder strange affair. I swear there were more people marching than the people who arrived at T Square. What ever the plan was it kinder petered out, the speeches finished early and that was it. I did take a quick peek outside the Bank of England around five-ish and spotted two guy wearing fake police helmets.

Oh well maybe next year.

Addition: I just seen the indymedia reports it all much clearer now. smile