DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Oystercard...

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Big Brother
Nov 18 2007 13:27
Oystercard...

How do I get about getting hold of an Oystercard, can I get one over a counter? Can I pay in cash? I need a Zone 1-6 Railcard for London. Also do I need a Photocard as I will need to pay for a monthly card.

Big Brother
Nov 18 2007 13:43

With an after thought I should've stuck this under the london sub section

RPG
Nov 18 2007 14:05

dead easy - tube stations have a specific machine that gives you the card (£3) - no photo needed and then you use the normal ticket machines to add money to it for journeys, topping up when you need too (£1.50 a hit). If you are a student in London you can get 30% off all this...

Big Brother
Nov 18 2007 22:34

Thanks for that I didn't know that you could buy an Oystercard from a vending machine I will have a look when I go to a tube station.

the button's picture
the button
Nov 19 2007 13:43

You can buy one on the internet at well.

https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/guest/guestProductConfig.do?method=display

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 19 2007 14:13
RPG wrote:
dead easy - tube stations have a specific machine that gives you the card (£3) - no photo needed and then you use the normal ticket machines to add money to it for journeys, topping up when you need too (£1.50 a hit). If you are a student in London you can get 30% off all this...

what kind of dox would be required to prove ones studenthood?

knightrose
Nov 19 2007 17:55

probably just your haircut Tacks.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 19 2007 18:22

grin

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 19 2007 20:52
Tacks wrote:
RPG wrote:

what kind of dox would be required to prove ones studenthood?

At my uni you had to get the form stamped at the union and for that you needed your ID card. If you're not actually eligible then you need to flirt with the person a bit so they don't check the details properly.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 19 2007 22:41

aw.

For a Young Person's railcard you just need to say your from a university. iirc.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Nov 20 2007 09:13

or under 26, i.e. a young person wink

not that i'm trying to ruin your sense of a successful blag or anything

ftony
Nov 20 2007 13:59

my girlf is well sad now she's 26 and her railcard has run out. it's a sign that she's getting "old" apparently roll eyes

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 20 2007 16:29

grannyshagger.

ftony
Nov 20 2007 20:34

cool

Pepe
Nov 20 2007 22:58

Oystercard?! Does everyone actually think its acceptable for anarchists to have these? I don't like them because THEY KNOW WHERE YOU'VE BEEN. It's like something out of 1984.

RPG
Nov 21 2007 10:57

It is a problem Jess and something to think - however the economics are pretty overwhelming given a single fare without a card is £4.50 (although my guess is that once everyone has them they'll wack the price up).

If you are a student at a London University - you can apply on line (via TFL) or there is a form you need to fill in.

Not all students are young - I'm 44 for god's sake!

ftony
Nov 21 2007 12:19

i fear jess was being a tad sarcastic...

RPG
Nov 21 2007 13:58

Its true though - your individual movements can be tracked by the cards - hasn't Mastercard just issued a combined credit card/Ostercard. There are few spaces left where the state can't watch/track you in some form or other.

RPG
Nov 21 2007 13:59

...oh yeah and this thread was started by Big Brother....

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 21 2007 15:36

I think something like the Oystercard has a chance of taking part in a real interesting revamping of public transportation, privatization-like, but in a way that would actually benefit travelers (and, therefore, won't happen, really..):

These days, in Israel, whenever you have a bus line, there's only one company that runs it. Even if there are two lines from different companies that cover the same sub-line, you can't usually get bulk discount cards that cover both options. Enter some kind of Oystercard thingie. The company running it acts like a travel agency. You pay for the card, and they pay the various transport companies according to how you've used it. Then the travel agency can get you discounts, up to a monthly free pass, but with any of the companies on the relevant line. I mean, that's a lot like what happens with time-based (daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal, etc.) passes in London right now, but you could have two bus companies doing the same line, competing for travelers on that line, and it wouldn't have to be a set-time pass, or be limited to just one company. If they did that in Israel right now, in the very near future I wouldn't have to stand in a crowded bus for the first half hour of my way to work, which would be nice.

Now why is this stupid and wouldn't work?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 21 2007 16:18

it just doesn't work that way really.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 21 2007 16:54

Yeah, but why couldn't it?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 21 2007 17:14

Maybe elsewhere, in the UK you just get two underfunded badly run services. Competition rarely actually MEANS competition here, just a poorer version of the previous monopoly.

....apart from in consumer goods where prices are through the fucking floor! Shopping for clothes right now is awesome!

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 21 2007 17:36

Yeah, but are they actually competing? I mean, is any of them facing the possibility of actually being shut down due to poor fare? And are they really providing the same service? And how easy would it be for a new player to come in? You know, all those things that a "free" market would provide, too bad that's a systematic impossibility, but never mind that...

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 21 2007 17:45

Bah, never mind, that's just what you said. No, I was specifically saying that you'd have competition on the same line, not just different lines being given to different companies, like what happens in Israel (and the UK). But when they privatized international calls, it reduced prices considerably, because you have many companies competing with each other for every caller, i.e., the theory of "private is cheaper" proved correct. I think my proposition would make transport the same, in some cases (won't work that well for trains, though).

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 21 2007 17:52

well a free market would only work without money.

With money there is no freedom as it is a case of the best funded that succeeds. And funds do not come first and formost from the consumer, but the investor.

There is no such thing as a free market, anywhere, ever, due to accumulation. You could start a million people of with an identicaledge and say - go, invest! After a certain amount of time, you 'd have a group completely manipulating the market to their own ends via the larger means.

ooooh communism. Tastes soo good.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 22 2007 08:57

I think you may have missed my second post..

Big Brother
Nov 26 2007 02:16

Thanks for this replies, my plan was to buy a Oystercard and pay in cash for a monthly. It's the principle of the thing.

I haven't had luck in finding "that" vending machine, can someone tell me at which station can I buy this from? my local tube station don't have one nor does Charing Cross/Embankment station. I need one by the 10th December.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 26 2007 12:12

what vending machine?

I got mine from a helpful chap in a booth smile

ftony
Nov 26 2007 14:22

you can get 'em from vending machines nowadays, but only in some of the bigger tube stations. it means that if you regularly have people visiting london you can get one for them without creating a made-up name when you register in person. it's quite useful having a spare oyster

winjer
Nov 27 2007 11:07
Big Brother wrote:
How do I get about getting hold of an Oystercard, can I get one over a counter? Can I pay in cash? I need a Zone 1-6 Railcard for London. Also do I need a Photocard as I will need to pay for a monthly card.

Yes, yes, yes, need to register to buy longer-than-weekly tickets.