Writing Prisoners

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
AJI's picture
AJI
Offline
Joined: 20-08-11
Aug 24 2011 03:19
Writing Prisoners

I tried to start a thread on prisoner support in North America, and as I start to understand this site more I was thinking maybe I should have posted it here. It looks like all the posts on here about prisoner support are at least a couple years old and/or are about specific campaigns.

I had been peripherally involved with Anarchist Black Cross Network in Chicago and keep in touch with one of their main organizers who is currently with South Chicago Anarchist Black Cross.

I think it would be cool to know what other people are doing around the world for at least support of political prisoners, and what people on here think about things like the prison abolition movement.

This website is pretty internationalist and is one of the resources I've been using:

http://zinelibrary.info/political-prisoner-and-pow-support-resources.

For people in the USA and/or interested in some of the more recent prisoner support work I've been doing, please check the thread I was trying to start here: http://libcom.org/forums/north-america/prisoner-support-21082011.

CRUD's picture
CRUD
Offline
Joined: 11-04-10
Aug 24 2011 03:23
AJI wrote:
I tried to start a thread on prisoner support in North America, and as I start to understand this site more I was thinking maybe I should have posted it here. It looks like all the posts on here about prisoner support are at least a couple years old and/or are about specific campaigns.

I had been peripherally involved with Anarchist Black Cross Network in Chicago and keep in touch with one of their main organizers who is currently with South Chicago Anarchist Black Cross.

I think it would be cool to know what other people are doing around the world for at least support of political prisoners, and what people on here think about things like the prison abolition movement.

This website is pretty internationalist and is one of the resources I've been using:

http://zinelibrary.info/political-prisoner-and-pow-support-resources.

For people in the USA and/or interested in some of the more recent prisoner support work I've been doing, please check the thread I was trying to start here: http://libcom.org/forums/north-america/prisoner-support-21082011.

The best thing you can do is fill the prisons with socialist/anarchist literature. They have a lot of time to read and aren't as stupid as many people think. I know there's stuff going on right now with prisoners in Pelican Bay as far as the inhumane treatment.

http://solitarywatch.com/2011/07/22/as-prisoners-end-hunger-strike-at-pelican-bay-their-cause-continues/

AJI's picture
AJI
Offline
Joined: 20-08-11
Aug 24 2011 15:24
CRUD wrote:
The best thing you can do is fill the prisons with socialist/anarchist literature. They have a lot of time to read and aren't as stupid as many people think. I know there's stuff going on right now with prisoners in Pelican Bay as far as the inhumane treatment.

http://solitarywatch.com/2011/07/22/as-prisoners-end-hunger-strike-at-pelican-bay-their-cause-continues/

I agree, that was one reason I used to work with ABCN, and when I was in the Socialist Labor Party of American we had a prisoner subscription fund so all prisoners who requested it, could get our journal The People for free.

rata
Offline
Joined: 26-09-06
Aug 24 2011 15:51
CRUD wrote:
The best thing you can do is fill the prisons with socialist/anarchist literature. They have a lot of time to read and aren't as stupid as many people think.

This is one thing, and it is linked with the specific policies of prisons in regards to accepting books for their libraries and individual prisoners. What I think is also quite important is organized sending of letters to the prisoners. While you are inside, there is a lack of information from the outside world, and, especially while people are in investigative prisons, communication with people outside is totally restricted. Very soon people inside start feeling isolated from their comrades and friends, and rest of the world. This is where letters come in, helping person understand that he/she is not isolated- abandoned - forgotten by its friends and comrades. This is even more important for people who get prison sentences which are above 2 or 3 years, since than it is of essence to keep them informed on the happenings in the outside world, so that they could have less problems in coming back to the society when they leave prison..

AJI's picture
AJI
Offline
Joined: 20-08-11
Aug 24 2011 19:47
rata wrote:
What I think is also quite important is organized sending of letters to the prisoners.

I agree 100%. If you get a chance to read my article, that's what it's mainly about:

http://libcom.org/forums/north-america/prisoner-support-21082011.

Though I've volunteered for a Books to Prisoners group in the past, and would like to again, this has been easier for me being a farm laborer who is both pretty broke and in a very rural, depopulated area. Plus by actually having a writing party, I think it's a good format for people to both learn about prisoners and write them, when they wouldn't necessarily take the time to do it on their own.

DZA's picture
DZA
Offline
Joined: 22-03-11
Sep 16 2011 18:31

anyone have any advice/resources on writing to prisoners in the UK? Cuz that's where i'm based

AJI's picture
AJI
Offline
Joined: 20-08-11
Sep 16 2011 20:30
DZA wrote:
anyone have any advice/resources on writing to prisoners in the UK? Cuz that's where i'm based

Yes, zinelibrary's prisoner support page, http://zinelibrary.info/political-prisoner-and-pow-support-resources, has a side bar with these three UK links:

http://www.brightonabc.org.uk/
http://spiritoffreedom.org.uk/
http://www.myspace.com/leedsabc.

rat's picture
rat
Offline
Joined: 16-10-03
Sep 16 2011 21:03

An excellent anti-prison website:

http://www.againstprisonslavery.org/

Also Leeds ABC have some decent texts online to read:

http://leedsabc.org/?page_id=394

http://leedsabc.org/?page_id=116