Workplace conversations

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
knotwho's picture
knotwho
Aug 17 2011 18:29
Workplace conversations

I’d like to get some tips on workplace organizing conversations. Specifically, how to take talk about ‘what’s wrong here’ and elevate it to ‘what are we going to do about it’. (Perhaps it’s that simple?) My workplace is a science center/children’s museum, so we’re nonprofit and education-oriented (and, for the most part, a fun place to work). My coworkers are not really motivated by money (or don’t expect more of it), and a lot of the educators here are over-achieving to the point of self-sacrifice. That said, people are quick to talk about their workplace issues. The biggest complaints are being overworked (six-day weeks, uncompensated prep time, etc.) but there are lots of little issues, too.

I’m just curious about ways to take these complaints and do something with them.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 17 2011 19:01

Could you give us some more details on what some of the little issues are? That might help us come up with suggestions

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Aug 17 2011 21:06

I see you're a Wob, knotwho, have you been to an organiser training? I'd say a third of the 101 is focused on these very issues.

knotwho's picture
knotwho
Aug 18 2011 16:43
Quote:
I see you're a Wob, knotwho, have you been to an organiser training? I'd say a third of the 101 is focused on these very issues.

I haven't attended one yet. The branch hosted one before I joined, and we're talking about hosting it again. I'm trying to get going before that.

Quote:
Could you give us some more details on what some of the little issues are? That might help us come up with suggestions

What I've heard is stuff related to scheduling, and getting time off. Some staff are seen as 'key' to what they do, and can't get time off since nobody else can cover their role. In the past, one coworker had to sign some kind of self-denunciation (I will not take personal calls at work, etc.) in order to get days off approved.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Aug 19 2011 12:07
knotwho wrote:
Quote:

I haven't attended one yet. The branch hosted one before I joined, and we're talking about hosting it again. I'm trying to get going before that.

Def get to it. I cannot stress that enough. What I would do in the mean time is to contact the Organizing Department (does your branch have an "ODL"?) and kind of see about getting someone internal to 'mentor' your campaign.