Work Place Organising Workshops

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
WeTheYouth
Jul 26 2006 12:52
Work Place Organising Workshops

Brum SF is trying to organise some workshops on workplace organising, anyone with more experience in workplace organising interested in helping out?

the button's picture
the button
Jul 26 2006 13:18

I can't make it, unfortunately. (Or should that be "fortunately"?) However, one "fun" way of doing these workshops, that doesn't rely on the presence of "experts", is to do role-plays. No but seriously. Write down a number of scenarios, e.g. "In the shit for having too much time off sick," "Too hot in the office," "Not allowed to go for a piss," "New workmate is a racist," etc. and discuss them in groups. Then (for added fun) someone gets to be the boss, someone else gets to be the rep/group of workers affected & so on.Then everyone gets to comment on how things were handled. It can be fun. Well, I enjoyed doing it. embarrassed

WeTheYouth
Jul 26 2006 13:18

Yeah that does sound like a good idea. Cheers.

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 26 2006 13:19

Hi That, button, is an excellent suggestion. Love LR 

the button's picture
the button
Jul 26 2006 13:25

You're most welcome. Good luck with it, anyway.  There's all sorts you can do on the practical side. Like for instance, take one of your scenarios, and then write it up for a workplace newsletter in a certain number of words. Or decide how you would communicate it to your co-workers in 3 minutes and then try it (against the clock, of course).  

the button's picture
the button
Jul 26 2006 13:29
Lazy Riser wrote:
HiThat, button, is an excellent suggestion.LoveLR

Everyone gets one good idea in their lives, and that was mine.  Actually, it's not even my idea, it was the way that I learned, back in the olden days when union activists used to train each other, rather than go on "courses" organised by the full-timers. wink

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 26 2006 14:22

<Double post>

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 26 2006 14:15

Hi Maybe we should try some virtual role play on line, I'll be the boss if anyone want's to try it out. Love LR 

ticking_fool
Jul 26 2006 14:56

I'll be the boss if anyone want's to try it out

I've just posted you a turd, and now I'm off to malinger in the bogs.

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 26 2006 15:17

Hi My office 09:00am Tomorrow. Bring your rep, my HR bod will be there too. If you're not there, we'll start disciplinary procedures without you. Love Boss (LR) 

ticking_fool
Jul 26 2006 18:11

I refuse the DNA test and enter this medical certification of my bowel disorder. 

BB
Jul 27 2006 11:41
Lazy Riser wrote:
<p>Hi</p><p>My office 09:00am Tomorrow. Bring your rep, my HR bod will be there too. If you&#39;re not there, we&#39;ll start disciplinary procedures without you.</p><p>Love</p><p>Boss (LR)</p><p>

</p><p>(My rep will have a field day with that, you&#39;ve not given me reasonable time. I.E. 24 hrs.) I&#39;ve spoken to my rep, and they&#39;ll be unable to make that time . We&#39;ll need to reconvene a meeting date. (Please give me more fuel) <strong>&quot;we&#39;ll start disciplinary procedures without you.&quot;</strong></p>

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 27 2006 14:21

Hi

ticking_fool wrote:
I refuse the DNA test and enter this medical certification of my bowel disorder.

That’s sounds nasty, would you like to take few days off on full pay?

Love

Boss (LR)

the button's picture
the button
Jul 27 2006 14:27
Lazy Riser wrote:
Hi
ticking_fool wrote:

That’s sounds nasty, would you like to take few days off on full pay?

Love

Boss (LR)

Meanwhile, evil boss Lazy Riser rubs his hands, knowing that if you take two more days off in a rolling six month period, the HR procedure for monitoring unacceptable levels of sickness absence will kick in. wink

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 27 2006 14:42

Hi

BB wrote:
(My rep will have a field day with that, you've not given me reasonable time. I.E. 24 hrs.) I've spoken to my rep, and they'll be unable to make that time . We'll need to reconvene a meeting date. (Please give me more fuel) "we'll start disciplinary procedures without you."

You want more time? 24 hours it is then. Listen, disregarding this turd-posting incident (we can prove it was you, but we know you’ve got mental problems so don’t want to be seen to be unsympathetic) we’re not too happy with your performance and we wanted to have a little chat with you before we put something in writing to you on it. Would you rather we just popped it in the post right away?

Boss (LR)