Nov 11 2015 05:28

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=union+organizing+app

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 11 2015 05:36
Cirtur's picture
Cirtur
Nov 11 2015 14:46

Thank you for the links! It seems like they're in the same boat as me i.e. the good ship non-programmer wishing things existed

Cirtur's picture
Cirtur
Nov 11 2015 15:36

http://www.laboremploymentreport.com/2015/06/19/labor-organizing-theres-...

This is the most interesting of the articles when you google union organising app. It doesn't even exist yet and already "employers" are trying to think of ways to combat it. This more than any of the others makes me think it could be good

Jamal's picture
Jamal
Nov 11 2015 15:48

Ok here's the thing. Neither the article nor anyone in this thread has mentioned anything that can't be done with existing software.

The reason we haven't seen some revolution happen because of it is because of the role of unions in capitalism today. Sorry fellas, but syndicalism just don't work.

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 11 2015 16:22
Jamal wrote:
Ok here's the thing. Neither the article nor anyone in this thread has mentioned anything that can't be done with existing software.

The reason we haven't seen some revolution happen because of it is because of the role of unions in capitalism today. Sorry fellas, but syndicalism just don't work.

If unions are not up for it, certainly it doesn't discredit technological communications solutions and maybe guidebooks that could be built in to assist working class organizing. Like why doesn't the ICC have an app? It's certainly possible. TBH I'd love a Libcom app. Probs a little less possible considering the nature of the site, but...

I with others though, and the IWW in saying nothing beats IRL training and organizing experience.

Jamal's picture
Jamal
Nov 11 2015 18:01

Why not create "Class Struggle" Linux or something and include all the needed tools and goodies?

We need to remember app is short for application. When there is none it's just a useless waste of data, time and effort.

Sabotab
Nov 11 2015 23:33
Flint wrote:
Sabotab wrote:
In the early stages, the most useful feature of this app would be determining what most workers at your workplace think about organizing with little effort.

You should have a good idea about whether every worker would support a union before you are doing anything that could expose your organizing drive to the boss. This app seems to have way to much exposure for what should be an open source intelligence mapping of the workplace.

True about the exposure. I'm not entirely convinced that a labor organizing app would be too useful, but I would think the main benefit of an app would be that it would make things easier for people with no organizing experience and little dedication. Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way of hiding this from a boss. I'd definitely be willing to work on this if someone could make a good argument for its usefulness though.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 12 2015 04:25
Jamal wrote:

So, you're definitely conflating two things there.

Jamal's picture
Jamal
Nov 12 2015 11:48

Which two things? Trade unions vs syndicalist unions?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 12 2015 13:56

Those would be the ones.

Do you really think, what, the IWW is the reason there's no revolution in the US right now?

Jamal's picture
Jamal
Nov 12 2015 14:09

Yes. It failed the worker's movement massively pre-WWII and people have a necrophilial obsession with it today.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 12 2015 14:12

"People"? What the US masses who are so obsessed with the syndicalism of the past that they're now joining trade unions in droves and misdirecting their revolutionary potential as a class?

Dude, seriously.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 12 2015 14:15

Also, what working class current - from trade unions to Leftist parties to left communism - didn't fail the workers' movement pre-WWII?

Jamal's picture
Jamal
Nov 12 2015 14:53

By people I meant an uncomfortable number of American leftcoms and anarchists active in the IWW today.

The masses aren't exactly out in droves waving red banners at anything, are they? Maybe for Jeremy Corbyn.

As for post #45 - Agree fully.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 12 2015 16:26
Quote:
By people I meant an uncomfortable number of American leftcoms and anarchists active in the IWW today.

Is the implication to this then that if those same folks formed some sort of Leftcom or anarchist organisation it would somehow change the direction of the class struggle in America?

Quote:
The masses aren't exactly out in droves waving red banners at anything, are they?

That's the point. We're at (and have been in) a period of serious class retreat - the idea that this has anything to do with syndicalism is ridiculous.

I'll give you that this period of class defeat was brought about in large part by the role and structure of trade unionism post-WWII. Of course the unions still suck today, but a large part of the role of they fulfilled then - to actively constrain self-organized industry militancy - clearly doesn't exist in a world where active self-organized militancy is basically non-existent. And then tying that to syndicalism....?

Quote:
As for post #45 - Agree fully.

Okay, then why single out syndicalism?