''Regeneration'' in Southwark

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Jul 4 2008 09:48
''Regeneration'' in Southwark

http://www.aylesburyregeneration.org.uk/

So its one of the bigger chunks of development in the city and has been going on for well over a decade now, and basically amounts to a plan for getting rid of heygate, aylesbury and the elephant and castle and replacing it with new housing and a flash new shopping/business centre called the shard.
Behind the image though it basically amounts to a massve reduction in the amount of social housing, kicking out working class communites who are going to move to god knows where and so it all basically amounts to one big land grab.
My nan being one of the tenants in social housing who is gradually being forced out as her protected rent status is eroded. Southwark is of course home of the old labour party HQ before they moved to a more middle england friendly location, so most oposition to all ths that exists at presnt seems to come from older pensioners groups, partly because some of them are the first to be kicked out and secondly because theirs a bunch of lefties, old labour types and tankies among them.
So just wondered if anyone had any views on the whole situation or what if anything could be done about it, or know of any good blogs or artcles on the subject.

oh and also http://www.shardlondonbridge.com/vertical_city/

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Jul 5 2008 12:46

How specifically are they being kicked out? I mean, on what grounds are they being removed from their own homes?

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Jul 5 2008 17:49
tojiah wrote:
How specifically are they being kicked out? I mean, on what grounds are they being removed from their own homes?

Na its generally left to the market to do that with property speculators encouraged do buy cheaply, quotas on social housing ignored and local and national government turning a blind eye. In my nans case for example its just that she currently lives in social housng which is insulated against rent increases, with that protection removed, the nature of the housing amrke inevitably forces her and other lower income residents and pensioners out.

Quote:
I didn't think the shard had much to do with the Aylesbury?

Seems to fit into the same scheme of regeneration in the area though.

Quote:
Do you know what the proportion of social housing was, and is going to be?

Not sure, was hoping someone else on here had some good articles or links ont he subject.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Jul 5 2008 17:37

Yeah, but I mean, how exactly does their being kicked out work? Is infrastructure being neglected, followed by buy-out offers they can't refuse? How do they get from living there to not living there? What's pushing or pulling them out?