People with Disabilities in post-capitalist society?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adam The Disabl...
Apr 9 2015 22:39
People with Disabilities in post-capitalist society?

Being disabled myself and conducting oral histories with disabled farmers for a project in college has got me wondering if anyone on the left has really thought of how to include people with disabilities all that much. I'm not some great thinker but I don't think a lot people have thought about disability supports in a post-capitalist society. Other then some stuff from Common Cause in Canada.
Could be wrong on this, love to discuss

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Apr 9 2015 23:28

I confess to ignorance. However I remember back in Leeds in the 1990s there was a disabled centre in Armley in Leeds that was quite radical. A number of the able-bodied workers who worked there as helpers were libertarian lefties or anarchists and there was a quite radical "client"-led discussion and action process there. All I can recall, not being involved, was one episode where they went down to picket "Children in Need" which was still being run out of Yorkshire TV at the time. The TV complained about the picket and the West Yorks Pigs, true to form, turned up and ended up batoning the protestors, including a bit where two cops beat a wheelchair using protester, already hand-cuffed to their chair (in case they tried to run away???) with their batons. Sadly mobile phones with cameras and social media hadn't yet been invented, so you'll just have to take my word for it that this happened outside of the live Children in Need telecast. Armley Resource Centre was the name of the centre. Old Leeds comrades and Chumbas will confirm. Can't remember the year.

boomerang
Apr 10 2015 03:23

Good question. I asked a similar question on this thread here, you can read the discussion: http://libcom.org/forums/general/disability-work-19112014

Josh...'s picture
Josh...
Apr 14 2015 13:45

Short documentary on is from some Canadian anarchists, deals with ableism in capitalist society and anarchist solutions to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDCRFTEefw

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Apr 14 2015 14:37

Urgh, too bad they don't know how to follow their own advice. I used to be a member of that org; they sound fine on paper but in practice they are both sexist and ableist.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Apr 14 2015 16:25

I don't know anything about Common Cause - are you saying that a group that has produced a documentary dealing with ableism is in fact prejudiced against people with disabilities?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 14 2015 16:31
plasmatelly wrote:
I don't know anything about Common Cause - are you saying that a group that has produced a documentary dealing with ableism is in fact prejudiced against people with disabilities?

This could be a very worthwhile discussion, however that is not what this thread is about. If you want to discuss this start a new thread. Any further comments on this on this thread will be deleted.

admin: two posts deleted. I wasn't joking