Organised Anarchism in Oxford?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 21 2010 20:44

I think 'ordine' is from the verb order (as in to give commands) rather than the noun.
Surely it's a way of making the A for anarchism into a more recognisable symbol, and there are probably multiple motivations and origins.

slothjabber
May 22 2010 14:32

Possibly. I think I believe that the Spanish War (A) is 'just' a military identification, rather than a political identification. But I'm pretty certain that the (A) as a symbol for Anarchism comes from Italy in the '60s and was quickly adopted by the Anarchists associated with the student movements, Situationists etc of the late '60s, spreading its popularity (and increasing its recognition-factor) very quickly.

Auto's picture
Auto
Jun 6 2010 16:52

Caught this article in the Oxford Mail over the weekend. Oxford has been shown to have a huge divide between rich and poor, with some areas being among the most deprived communities in the whole country, while others are the most affluent:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/pagepeel/8193905.Oxford__A_city_divided_between_the_very_rich_and_the_very_poor/

Sadly I wasn't able to come to the first meeting Tobias kindly helped organise due to work, but I hope to come along to the next one. smile

gypsy
Jun 7 2010 08:11
Auto wrote:
Caught this article in the Oxford Mail over the weekend. Oxford has been shown to have a huge divide between rich and poor, with some areas being among the most deprived communities in the whole country, while others are the most affluent:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/pagepeel/8193905.Oxford__A_city_divided_between_the_very_rich_and_the_very_poor/

Sadly I wasn't able to come to the first meeting Tobias kindly helped organise due to work, but I hope to come along to the next one. :)

Cheers Auto. Very interesting.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jun 8 2010 21:56

I used to work on Cowley road, there was a big gap between there and other parts of the city. But even in the smaller vilages there were sections of real poverty.

Anarcho-surrealist
Oct 3 2011 11:31

Hey any-and-all,

An old thread, but I thouhgt I'd make a renewed request - I just arrived in Oxford on a scholarship for a postgrad, and am feelin' pretty, *ahem*, alienated politically. Is any AFED stuff still extant / what is the anarchist (or political radical in general) community looking like these days and does anyone have any handy tips/contacts for getting involved in it?

Ed's picture
Ed
Oct 3 2011 11:42

Dunno about AF but Thames Valley Solfed are active in Oxford.. maybe worth getting in touch with them? http://solfed.org.uk/?q=local/thamesvalley

Auto's picture
Auto
Oct 3 2011 12:00

Hey A-S, welcome to Oxford. smile

Well it's been over a year since I first posted this thread and I'm glad to say there's a very active community of Anarchists in Oxford. There's Thames Valley SolFed of which I'm a member. We've been active - we've organised a number of training sessions (workplace organising, introduction to labour law). We were also very heavily involved in the organising for the June 30th strikes, and we lend our support to a number of other causes and groups in Oxford as well.

If SolFed isn't your thing then while there's no AFed there are a number of other non-aligned anarchists in Oxford. We have pretty good relations with all of them, so I'm sure you'll meet all of us at some point. smile

Feel free to send me a PM!

gavriel's picture
gavriel
Sep 5 2017 01:34

Hello!
Could someone update this post?
libcom (or similar) organisations in oxford?
Within or without relevance to the University, both interesting.
I really hope so.
Thank you in advance

no1
Sep 5 2017 11:55

Gavriel - Thames valley SolFed are still around, I don't know about other organizations (I'm a SolFed member elsewhere).