"Occupy" Wall Street? Better burn it down!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
brkic sulejman
Nov 2 2011 12:01
"Occupy" Wall Street? Better burn it down!

Occupy Wall Street... I still don't know what to think of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

I was talking with my brother the other day and we were like: "Finally! Some of the people in the country that is the greatest purveyor of violence on earth woke up."

But I personally think it's a middle class bunch of reformists whose pockets started to hurt. I will take them more seriously when they stop saying "peace, peaceful, peacefully" every 3 minutes and start exercising their right to bear arms.

I've checked out quite a few Western Internet forums, blogs and so on and there is very little, if any, about the fact that Libya was just ravaged by a bunch of oilthirsty Western vultures with the help of their local quislings or about the ongoing rape of Iraq or about Palestine forced to beg to be Palestine...

Let us be honest among ourselves on the Western Left. So far, Western activism, when it comes to alleviating the burden imposed on the rest of the world by our gluttonous way of life, has been, with a very few exceptions, a joke.

Our true liberation will come only when we fully and unconditionally align ourselves with the peoples that are oppressed and exploited by our Western governments and whose suffering is the real price of our freedoms and our comfortable way of life. Their sweat and blood is greasing the wheels of our capitalism.

So, Occupy Wall Street? Hmm... I'm not sure what that means.

Burn down Wall Street! Yes! Much clearer!

brkic sulejman

Melancholy of Resistance's picture
Melancholy of R...
Nov 2 2011 15:17
Quote:
Our true liberation will come only when we fully and unconditionally align ourselves with the peoples that are oppressed and exploited by our Western governments and whose suffering is the real price of our freedoms and our comfortable way of life.

No thanks, no sympathy to nationalistic movements anywhere in the world, especially ones led by military or para-military elites. It's one thing to try to stop one's country going to war, but it's another to unconditionally support scumbags like Hamas or whatever proto-bourgeois guerillas are fighting against the USA/UK/Nato unless it's purely as self-defence. Let's not romanticize faraway struggles - that's too easy.

As for the real price of freedom then I see it all around me, whether it's a comfortable or uncomfortable price. Or in other words, no freedom anywhere. No need to go look outside what you call the West to find it. Before capitalism globalised it had to enslave locally, right?

tastybrain
Nov 2 2011 15:27
brkic sulejman wrote:
Let us be honest among ourselves on the Western Left. So far, Western activism, when it comes to alleviating the burden imposed on the rest of the world by our gluttonous way of life, has been, with a very few exceptions, a joke.

I realize people in the West have a generally higher standard of living than the rest of the world...but I wouldn't exactly call the people with no health care/ the long term unemployed, who make up a significant part of people in America, as living a "gluttonous way of life".