Million Student March - Anybody else organizing?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
assemblageofdenim's picture
assemblageofdenim
Nov 4 2015 15:39
Million Student March - Anybody else organizing?

Hey Everyone! I was wondering if anyone else in the US is helping organize or attending a Million Student March on November 12th? The event is national and at my campus we expect anywhere from 150 to 200 attendees. The leftist group I help organize has been the lead organizer here, but Students for Bernie chapters have been organizing it on other campuses. I am personally excited because its been a big entryist point for our group since the issue of tuition and student debt forgiveness has supporters both on the far left and in Left-liberal circles.

The sanders group on campus gave us the go ahead to organize the march pretty much single-handily. This has allowed us to take it in a much more radical direction so we will be hosting speeches on debt resistance and rolling jubilee, tuition and racial justice, minimum wage increase and guaranteed minimum income, and student unionization. Its exciting to see people interested in this issue because I attend possibly one of the most a-political campuses imaginable.

For those who don't know about the event:
http://studentmarch.org/
https://www.facebook.com/MillionStudentMarch/?fref=ts

Sasquatch's picture
Sasquatch
Nov 9 2015 01:12

Yup! I'm helping to organize a rally and I'm working with the students who initially started the action. One thing I should mention is that Students for Bernie (or anything Bernie for that matter) has nothing officially to do with MSM. The Sanders people are mobilized right now, so they are calling several marches, but this is a decentralized day of autonomous actions--marches, rallies, speak-outs--and it's more closely aligned with the broader student movement--think ASSE in Quebec, YoSoy132, Strike Debt, etc.

assemblageofdenim
Nov 9 2015 14:54

Yep! We have made sure to let everyone know this isn't just a bernie thing. We have been able to keep the march here radical and in some ways explicitly anarchist without scaring off the Students for Bernie people. Make sure to post about how your march goes when the times comes around.

assemblageofdenim
Nov 17 2015 19:44

March went out without a hitch! The university knew we were coming but the police let us have the event even without any permit. The turnout was around 110 with a good amount of faculty support within the ranks.

I'll be posting a video of speeches from our march here at WVU soon. How did other actions you were involved with go down?