DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

** J30 Strike Website now live **

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
raw
Jun 20 2011 10:25
** J30 Strike Website now live **

News, updates, calls of action, interactive action maps, downloads -- its got it all!

Please forward and help plug the site. If you want to add an event for J30 then please
email june30action@gmail.com with the following:

Time:
Short Description:
Location ( with postcode if possible! ):
Facebook Event link:
Type ( Action, Rally, March, Picket )

We really need more picket locations for the early morning. The site covers the whole UK so please spread far and wide!!

http://www.j30strike.org

J30 strike

p.s. Facebook has associated the website link with spam - due to the number of invites sent out for the J30 strike event - a pop up window will appear informing you that the content is blocked with link to complain - please complain to get facebook to unblock it. Thanks!

blackthornend's picture
blackthornend
Jun 20 2011 16:28

Top site. It's all coming together.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jun 20 2011 17:20

Yeah, it's fuckin' sweet!

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Jun 20 2011 18:15

Good site, yeh. Facebook is being a right bastard though and won't let us share it. Complained like, so hopefully others will do the same and change their profile pic for it too smile

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Jun 20 2011 18:14

whoops, duplicate post smile

slothjabber
Jun 20 2011 20:19

Looks like Facebook has now unblocked it. Get sharing!

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jun 27 2011 16:43

Is this site being updated (resources and what not)?

slothjabber
Jun 27 2011 20:27

Looks like it. At least as far as rallies/demos go. I checked it the other day and there was nothing listed in my area, now there is... someone's adding things to it.

There's also another map at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&ie=UTF8&ll=50.907494%2C-1.405204&spn=5.606779%2C6.363258&msid=204311063652197427813.0004a509294594be72cd6&source=embed which is a googlemap of protests - not sure if the info is going to significantly different but it's not too hard to check your local area on both maps I guess.

Steve_j
Jun 27 2011 22:35

Raw, im not sure if your involved with the site, but it could be good to get an overview of the strikes (as to why they are happening) along side a little background as a means to counter a lot of the anti unionist rants occurring in the press. (unless i have somehow missed that section)

Props to the people who put it up, i have been passing it around but i think a little more why could be useful.

Edit: Should look harder next time smile

raw
Jul 1 2011 12:34
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Is this site being updated (resources and what not)?

It was bad planning on my part. There was too much coming to deal with all requests so there were links to SolFed on the front page. Next time we need a bigger web team and more planning.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 1 2011 16:51

well it was pretty fucking slick. good job in any event.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 1 2011 17:23

Yeah worked well I thought

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Jul 1 2011 17:55

Yeh I thought it was brilliant too.

I'm a web designer by trade, but shouldn't be for too much longer (hopefully). So if this is done again the future I'm happy to help.

Has a website like this done before in Britain?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 1 2011 18:37

What was the total hit count Raw, any idea?

raw
Jul 2 2011 08:18
Chilli Sauce wrote:
What was the total hit count Raw, any idea?

They weren't bad ( Monday 20th - 30th June ):

28,807 unique visits
77,603 Pageviews
About 6,000 unique views on the london pickets page
Also we had around 5,000 shares on the web link on facebook
almost 1,000 followers on twitter
Received around 200+ emails -- 99% of these were from striking workers, branch organisers, shop stewards from across the UK.

There is also a new tech collective being set-up to further develop this whole User generated content/crowd source approach to strike action - that will meet over the summer to develop a new web/mobile app. PM if anyone wants to get involved - all welcome.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 2 2011 08:36

That sounds great man!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 2 2011 09:53
Quote:
There is also a new tech collective being set-up to further develop this whole User generated content/crowd source approach to strike action - that will meet over the summer to develop a new web/mobile app. PM if anyone wants to get involved - all welcome.

yeah good work. we got a lot of plaudits in Brighton from anarchist, Trot and trade union quarters for putting together that local strike map, i think this kind of informational infrastructure could be really useful at generalising strikes, facilitating support and co-ordination etc, especially if the touted wave of discontinous strike action materialises in autumn.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 2 2011 10:31

Yeah, it was great and worked well with student/UK Uncut groups suggesting supporters visit picket lines, because then they can actually find them! The ones I was at were the best-supported picket lines (in terms of being visited by supporting workers) I have seen.

We would be keen to help out with that project you suggest if we are able - it sounds really interesting

raw
Jul 2 2011 11:07
Steven. wrote:
Yeah, it was great and worked well with student/UK Uncut groups suggesting supporters visit picket lines, because then they can actually find them! The ones I was at were the best-supported picket lines (in terms of being visited by supporting workers) I have seen.

We would be keen to help out with that project you suggest if we are able - it sounds really interesting

Great. We should be having a first meeting in a few weeks which I can let you know about.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 2 2011 11:57

Keep London SF in the loop to, would you Raw?

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
Jul 2 2011 20:33

That map idea was genius and it should definitely be further developed and promoted. It's got a fantastic response from students, union members and local branches (some will have bought into the media hysteria about 'anarchists' hijacking these events). Also we shouldn't be scared to say it was put together by anarchists and I think it will help unifying any potential strike movement against media bullshit.

raw
Jul 3 2011 12:26
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Keep London SF in the loop to, would you Raw?

Of course

Caiman del Barrio
Jul 3 2011 12:30

Excellent, glad to see the project's continuing. Onwards to October!

Outta interest and on a related note, what happened to the London strike support group (was it called Practical Solidarity or was that something else?)?

raw
Jul 3 2011 13:06
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Excellent, glad to see the project's continuing. Onwards to October!

Outta interest and on a related note, what happened to the London strike support group (was it called Practical Solidarity or was that something else?)?

It folded in january - but I think 90% of the people were involved in the j30 stuff anyhow.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 3 2011 14:51

Any reflection on why that occurred, a post-mortem of sorts?

(I hope that doesn't come across wanky, totally not my intention.)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 3 2011 15:05

Maybe start a new thread to say what happened with Practical Solidarity

raw
Jul 3 2011 15:45
Steven. wrote:
Maybe start a new thread to say what happened with Practical Solidarity

Don't think its necessary really, as Practical Solidarity started a month before the Nov/Dec student movement which changed focussed on everyones mind. It was a small group, I could no longer make meetings, they got moved to monthly meetings, it seemed no one was prepared to take responsibility on convening future meetings, then that was it. The End.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Jul 4 2011 00:37

pretty much agree with raw there, it was moving very slowly then events just overtook us. This is not really the thread for discussion of it tho.

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
Jul 8 2011 12:20

I went to one or two practical solidarity meetings and think its worthwhile thinking about why it folded (and why it might be worth rasing it from the dead).

I think nobody envisaged that the J30 strike maps would be as effective and popular as the turned out. Most of the practical solidarity efforts involved revisiting old well worn solidarity strategies and communicative techniques. Maybe an attempt to relaunch the network will include committies and workshops aimed at looking to develop and experiment with new solidarity strategies and communicative techniques?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 8 2011 12:39

Certainly one of the most popular efforts of the whole thing was in putting out information about what's happening and where - trade unions don't do this and it's a big gap!