DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Getting Together

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
young
Jul 29 2012 07:48
Getting Together

I'm sure this has occurred to many of us, but I haven't come across anybody discussing it yet. If we all moved to the same area, couldn't we be more effective as a political body?

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Jul 29 2012 13:25

It's not exactly a new idea; while not familiar with any specifically anarchist projects on these lines, there was/is an attempt by the US "Libertarian" Party (the Free State Project) to flood a particular area with their members and use the resulting voter power to push through their policies. While I imagine an anarchist project would be different in tactics it sounds kinda similar to what you propose.

That said, I don't see it being either feasible or (even if it was) desireable. Unfeasible, since I doubt it would be possible to get anarchists to move to a particular area en masse - we all have lives, family, friends, jobs and other commitments outside of politics, and the idea of getting people (not even a significant number of people, given the size of the anarchist movement) to just up sticks and move somewhere doesn't seem that likely.

Undesireable for a number of reasons. Capitalism is quite capable of allowing small areas some room to experiment provided they can be integrated into the wider system - see Marinaleda, Spain for example. Further, having everyone concentrate in a particular area would just make life more difficult for people too far, or with too many commitments, to make the move. There's a fairly common pattern of big active cities hoovering up radicals from surrounding areas - London being the obvious example - with the result that it can be quite difficult to get any sort of sustainable action going in less active areas.

IMO rather than trying to consolidate our (minor) forces in one or a handful of areas, we should be staying active where we are and trying to make things more effective there.

That said, if you do have any particular examples in mind of groups/movements becoming more effective by doing what you suggest that might help somewhat.

Book O'Dead's picture
Book O'Dead
Aug 4 2012 17:48
jonthom wrote:
It's not exactly a new idea; while not familiar with any specifically anarchist projects on these lines, there was/is an attempt by the US "Libertarian" Party (the Free State Project)[...]

That said, I don't see it being either feasible or (even if it was) desireable. Unfeasible, since I doubt it would be possible to get anarchists to move to a particular area en masse - we all have lives, family, friends, jobs and other commitments outside of politics, and the idea of getting people (not even a significant number of people, given the size of the anarchist movement) to just up sticks and move somewhere doesn't seem that likely.
[...]

You're right, the "libertarian" tactic of flooding is impractical to all except the most affluent. Or to Nomads, preferably wealthy nomads.

Book O'Dead's picture
Book O'Dead
Aug 4 2012 17:54
young wrote:
I'm sure this has occurred to many of us, but I haven't come across anybody discussing it yet. If we all moved to the same area, couldn't we be more effective as a political body?

The better mass communication gets the less necessary it is to have to be all in the same place.

The better tactic is to find out where you are now and how useful you can there when the time comes; everyone should be at the right place at the right time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKqLl_ZEEY