Fighting austerity

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Nov 13 2010 14:17
Fighting austerity

Thought it might be an idea for a thread to discuss how we fight back against the austerity measures being imposed on us. Whilst I imagine most of the discussion will focus on Britain it's worth drawing on the tactics being used all over the world and looking to see how they can be applicable in our own particular struggles.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 13 2010 15:04

I was thinking it would be a good idea to try to put together some sort of pamphlet on this. Called Against Austerity or something similar, with articles and interviews with workers in different sectors under attack, and looking at different local/national disputes, successes and failures, the role of the unions etc

Rum Lad
Nov 13 2010 16:02

I think this is a very important text from France (to the rest of Europe) about the utility of an economic blockade. It could be a good way of combining student and benefit claimant struggles. Although couldn't be utilised in exactly the same way as in France:

http://liensjournal.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/appel3.pdf

prec@riat's picture
prec@riat
Nov 14 2010 00:03

Austerity is a rather broad category.
Are you limiting it to mostly student fee increases and welfare benefits cuts? As technically it could include attacks on public transit, utility cost increases, regressive commodity tax increases (e.g.-"sin" taxes), etc.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 14 2010 11:56
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
It's a rather broad struggle, I'd say it included everything you've mentioned and a fair bit more like pay freezes, attacks on pensions etc.

and jobs of course

slothjabber
Nov 27 2010 14:53

Anything on this that we can take to the next rounds of days of action on 30th Nov and 4th-5th Dec? Especilally on - linking workers', students', and unemployed struggle; struggle against pension reforms; international struggles against austerity packages eg Italy, Greece, Spain, France...