FAO: North London SF (Membership Query)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Auto's picture
Auto
Dec 5 2010 10:43
FAO: North London SF (Membership Query)

If anyone who is involved with North London Solfed reads this, I'm still interested in joining SolFed and if I remember correctly North London was my nearest Local and the one I was referred to.

If anyone from NLSF could direct me as to what I need to do to join up, that'd be great. smile

(Apologies for posting this in the forum and not as a private message - I don't know the forum names of any North London SFers. Admins feel free to move this topic if it's in the wrong forum).

Thanks very much.

Caiman del Barrio
Dec 5 2010 12:11

Fwded onto relevant people...

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Dec 5 2010 16:47

Hi Auto, are there any other anarcho-syndicalists in the Oxford area that you know of? It would be good to get a Local set up there. I used to live near RAF Brize Norton so know the city pretty well.

Also have you got any idea what the IWCA lot are up to these days? The Blackbird Leys website is rarely updated any more.

cheers red n black star

gypsy
Dec 5 2010 18:14

Oisleep was the man for IWCA questions but hes not floating about here these days.

http://www.iwca.info/?page_id=1600

suggest dropping them an email.

Auto's picture
Auto
Dec 5 2010 22:03

Cheers to whichever admin moved the topic, and cheers for forwarding the message, Caiman.

@Gonzo: I've just got involved with the Anarchist group up here (a really solid lot, if understandably small in number at the moment) but as far as I'm aware I'm the only Syndicalist up here, or at least the only one in contact with AIO. I agree it would be good to get a local set up if there was the support for it - three members is the requisite number, right?

As for the IWCA, I've no idea what they are up to. I heard about them not long after I moved up here, but I've not heard anything about their recent activities. Although the last update was in October, so I assume they're still around.

Just for future reference, how exactly does being a solitary member of SF work in practice? Obviously I'm going to see how I can help out with the activities of AIO where I can, but what should I be doing here as a member of SolFed?

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Dec 6 2010 00:18
Auto wrote:
I agree it would be good to get a local set up if there was the support for it - three members is the requisite number, right?

Yep according to our constitution a Local needs to have at least three members.

Auto wrote:
As for the IWCA, I've no idea what they are up to. I heard about them not long after I moved up here, but I've not heard anything about their recent activities. Although the last update was in October, so I assume they're still around.

Cheers. I'm an ex-IWCA member and am convinced they made some very valid arguments when it comes to community activism that anarchists need to learn from.

Auto wrote:
Just for future reference, how exactly does being a solitary member of SF work in practice? Obviously I'm going to see how I can help out with the activities of AIO where I can, but what should I be doing here as a member of SolFed?

It's up to the nearest Local to involve isolated members as much as is practical in the internal life of the organisation, this will probably involve ensuring they are on the email lists and are supported in trying to set up their own local if they are up for it.

As it happens, we've had contact with some people in Reading who want to join, so that might be a possiblity as its nearer than London.

The AIO group sounds good. I'd stay involved with it and keep on the lookout for anyone who is interested in joining a specifically anarcho-syndicalist organisation.

We can arrange for you to get copies of Catalyst and Direct Action. Our website is also now set up so members can post their own content.

I'm part of the collective responsible for national secretary duties. Don't hesitate to PM me or email any queries to solfed@ [AT] solfed.org.uk red n black star

Admin: email broken to help prevent spam