Last post
NLibertusOnline's picture
NLibertusOnline
Mar 1 2015 18:26
The Autonomous Womyn's Front

Admin: thread locked.

Greeting comrades and allies!
This is an emergency message!

We are The Autonomous Womyn's Front. A group of queer, trans, and womyn of colour anarcha-Feminists. We've been active prior to the formation of this intended super-group, and it lead us to this. We are trying to form an activist group that gives womyn of colour, queer people, trans people, and poor people the advocacy they need, as well as employment, and eventually, a place to stay. But we need help. None of us are over the age of 24, half of us are students, a few of us are employed, and we don't have access to enough resources to materialize our ideas. We've been mostly ignored by various Feminist media (as our ideas were said to be "unrealistic") but we still believe we can set out to do what we intended to. Please look over and share our campaign. We need help from all allies so that our voices are amplified. We understand that all of you have your own work, but if you can find the time?: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-autonomous-womyn-s-front/x/6364920

admin: the words "EMERGENCY OUTREACH" have been removed from the thread title, as all caps aren't allowed, and this is not an emergency

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Mar 1 2015 19:16

Can't tell if this is a joke or not...

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 1 2015 19:31
Juan Conatz wrote:
Can't tell if this is a joke or not...

https://m.facebook.com/AWFmovement?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com...

Don't think so. Their indiegogo thing is broke(no pun intended) though.

akai
Mar 2 2015 09:14

No, this is not a joke, but I would not want to support their fundraising as an anarchist since they want to spend money on uniforms (!) and lobbying. And for transporting activists to political elections.

It's really sad what people calling themselves anarchist in the US are up to these days.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Mar 2 2015 10:38

In the link Webby posted #3, is an informative video, where an activist states she wishes to stand for office, legalise squatting and thinks that banks should not take over empty property, as they have more than enough already to pay their employees fairly.

Good liberal sentiments, nothing to do with anarchism or communism.

rat's picture
rat
Mar 2 2015 11:28

Good liberal sentiments indeed.

The Autonomous Womyn's Front:

Quote:
Marijuana: By now, many people are aware of the medical and recreational benefits of marijuana. But it is kept illegal, for the government's inability to profit from it. Legalizing it (for both medical and recreational use) would make great strides for [i]the American economy, and decrease the unnecessary criminalization of American citizens.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 2 2015 11:58

Crikey, what a load of old tosh.

Tyrion's picture
Tyrion
Mar 2 2015 20:20

I'd be curious to hear from a member of the organization why it calls itself anarchist despite engaging in electoral campaigning, surely the closest thing to a clear dividing line between anarchism and non-anarchism for the last century and a half. I don't see what makes this group any more anarchist either in methods or content than any liberal Democratic pressure group.

Although this is sure to sound condescending, you and the rest of the group might want to consider using methods that aren't going to marginalize you because of your limited funds. In the realms of lobbying and campaigning, for example, how can you hope to exert influence even remotely comparable to those who have millions of dollars at their disposal and have no interest in the plight of poor people, trans people, etc.? What are you likely to have to show for all the money lost in unsuccessful lobbying efforts and electoral campaigns? Maybe it makes more sense to spend in ways that have a more direct impact (e.g. funds for bail for arrested member or self-organized aid projects) and to play more to your strengths; namely the fact that there's millions of people who belong in the socially marginalized groups mentioned in the original post and while you may not have money on your side, you do have sheer numbers.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 3 2015 01:06

I got the same "emergency message" in my email box as well. It kind of made me want to stick my head down the khazi.

It's sad how this sort of tripe seems to stick to the anarchist movement like shit to a blanket.

Tarwater's picture
Tarwater
Mar 3 2015 02:33

At the $1,000 level, supporters receive:

A lifetime membership at The Autonomous Womyn's Storefront, 2 t-Shirts, 2 mugs, a full sized flag, a poster, a full set of stamps, 2 pens, a 2016 calendar, a hat, a bag, 2 hoodies, post cards, 2 pin buttons, and a 30 minute skype chat with Nocturnus herself?!?!?!

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 3 2015 03:15
Quote:
A lifetime membership at The Autonomous Womyn's Storefront, 2 t-Shirts, 2 mugs, a full sized flag, a poster, a full set of stamps, 2 pens, a 2016 calendar, a hat, a bag, 2 hoodies, post cards, 2 pin buttons, and a 30 minute skype chat with Nocturnus herself?!?!?!

Not actually sure of it's sincere or just great performativity art.

boomerang
Mar 3 2015 04:25

to the people on libcom not in the u.s., how common is it in wherever you're from for there to be self-identified anarchists who actually have quite liberal politics? i'm hoping a lot less common than in the u.s.?

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Mar 3 2015 04:50
Khawaga wrote:
Quote:

Not actually sure of it's sincere or just great performativity art.

Oh wow, if you read closely they also say that a portion of the donations will go towards helping the son of the deposed king of Nigeria!

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 3 2015 05:26

Really? That's awesome. I didn't bother visiting the indigogo page. Now I will.

Tarwater's picture
Tarwater
Mar 3 2015 19:19

Yeah, but who the Fuck is Nocturnus?

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Mar 3 2015 19:40

Tarwater #15

Alas, we will never know. There are more things in heaven and earth than the internet kens.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 3 2015 19:48

An "anarcha-fem" version of Bob Avakian, Lyndon LaRouche or Jim Jones mebbe??? Whatever, at $1000 for a natter on skype plus merch, then clearly it's someone dead good. Now what's that in English money? £650 quid!?!? Fuck that angry

NLibertusOnline
Mar 4 2015 01:34

Hello! It seems that most of you are manarchist assholes, but I will address our concerns anyway, for future references.

Quote:
Can't tell if this is a joke or not..

Try in read the sentiments expressed. I guarantee it will be clear afterwards.

Quote:
No, this is not a joke, but I would not want to support their fundraising as an anarchist since they want to spend money on uniforms (!) and lobbying. And for transporting activists to political elections.

It's really sad what people calling themselves anarchist in the US are up to these days.

Oh, I must've missed something. Are you the newest authority on acceptable practices to advocating anarchism? Seems pretty authoritarian to me. On a side note, I am a former FEMEN activist, and disrupting political elections, and infiltrating discussions have been very effective. This is one method we plan to utilize in our activism.

And the uniforms? They'll mimic those of Black Bloc and Pussy Riot. The image below presents a very general idea of what they would look like. Purple and black (colours of the anarcha-Feminist flag) and will help protect and preserve the Anonymity of the activists who want to keep their privacy in tact. Because you do get fired over participating in these types of activities.

They will be worn only in political protest to express that we are one force—a force to be reckoned with.

Quote:
Good liberal sentiments, nothing to do with anarchism or communism.

You wouldn't know. None of you have even looked into this long enough to understand how this will work. I highly doubt any of you read through the entire thing.

Even so, we are utilizing various method of both subtle and direct action to bring immediate change, seeing as other groups have been incapable of doing it. Who, instead, run out into the streets and get pepper sprayed, or killed by pigs, because they didn't plan ahead.

Quote:
I'd be curious to hear from a member of the organization why it calls itself anarchist despite engaging in electoral campaigning, surely the closest thing to a clear dividing line between anarchism and non-anarchism for the last century and a half. I don't see what makes this group any more anarchist either in methods or content than any liberal Democratic pressure group.

Although this is sure to sound condescending, you and the rest of the group might want to consider using methods that aren't going to marginalize you because of your limited funds. In the realms of lobbying and campaigning, for example, how can you hope to exert influence even remotely comparable to those who have millions of dollars at their disposal and have no interest in the plight of poor people, trans people, etc.? What are you likely to have to show for all the money lost in unsuccessful lobbying efforts and electoral campaigns? Maybe it makes more sense to spend in ways that have a more direct impact (e.g. funds for bail for arrested member or self-organized aid projects) and to play more to your strengths; namely the fact that there's millions of people who belong in the socially marginalized groups mentioned in the original post and while you may not have money on your side, you do have sheer numbers.

Since when is it not anarchist to have certain laws abolished? It isn't electoral campaigning, we're working to have things not only abolished, but to remove unnecessary restrictions against people in the US. It's stupid to think you can just outright advocate the immediate abolition of the government, and it will happen. And those aren't even our only practices. We also want to work to educate people. To decrease, and eventually erase the stigmatization of Anarchism in America.

You don't need millions of dollars to become influential, but unfortunately, due to our current system, it is impossible to do much of anything without it, or this campaign wouldn't even exist. I figured common sense would have told some of these people that, but I guess not too many of y'all have it. Why pay for bail, when you can make your actions legal?That's a waste of time, and it makes no sense. I've had 16 activists in jail already, and no more of them need a record. We are young people, who still need to find jobs so we can sustain ourselves. Doing this without analyzing what we need first can not only endanger our safety, but put our ability to provide for ourselves and our families at risk.

Quote:
Yeah, but who the Fuck is Nocturnus?

Try and ay attention for a little while, you might actually learn something.

Quote:
Oh wow, if you read closely they also say that a portion of the donations will go towards helping the son of the deposed king of Nigeria!

Yeah, you're not funny.

Quote:
At the $1,000 level, supporters receive:

Yes, a lot of people have questions that go unanswered, and so I'm offering a chance to answer people's questions without them having to wait for so long before I answer them. I get an average of 20 facebook messages, 60 questioning emails, and over 80 texts a day from people who are curious to know more about my politics, why I'm doing this, or just what makes me tick.

Quote:
I got the same "emergency message" in my email box as well. It kind of made me want to stick my head down the khazi.

It's sad how this sort of tripe seems to stick to the anarchist movement like shit to a blanket.

Like your sentiments? :}

In all honesty, a lot of you are acting like shitty pissbabies because we want to do things in a way that;s unconventional (and threatening to those who aren't capable of understanding?) or because we don't want to rush out, only to be shot down. Have a little bit of common fucking sense, and learn to analyze the world around you.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Mar 4 2015 01:49

Lobbying is unconventional?

radicalgraffiti
Mar 4 2015 02:03

why do you have a terrible gray and white flag?

NLibertusOnline
Mar 4 2015 02:32

Our methods, are unconventional. That means the way that we do the things expressed are uncommon.

NLibertusOnline
Mar 4 2015 02:33
Quote:

We don't have a grey/white anything.

radicalgraffiti
Mar 4 2015 02:42
NLibertusOnline wrote:
Quote:

We don't have a grey/white anything.

meant grey/black https://res.cloudinary.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_fill,...

Fleur
Mar 4 2015 02:42

Hello Nocturnus.

Erm, woman here, so you can't call me an manarchist for not leaping at this with unadulterated enthusiasm.

Quote:
On a side note, I am a former FEMEN activist, and disrupting political elections, and infiltrating discussions have been very effective.

Where, how when? Would this be the same FEMEN who are hand-picked for their attractiveness by a man, in order to get their tits out for the revolution? The same FEMEN that Amina Tyler left on account of their racism? Not at all sure what FEMEN has ever done which has been particularly effective.

Surely you must see that if you're starting up a new organization that asking people to ante up $600+ to buy clothes is a bit weird? Every protest I've ever gone to I've dressed myself and I'm pretty sure there's not a central fund to clothe people who employ black bloc tactics. I'm pretty sceptical of any group who puts their image forward as a primary concern and asks other people to pay for it.

Quote:
In all honesty, a lot of you are acting like shitty pissbabies because we want to do things in a way that;s unconventional

There's nothing particularly unconventional about political lobbying and involving yourself in elections.

As for the $1000 skype call

Quote:
Yes, a lot of people have questions that go unanswered, and so I'm offering a chance to answer people's questions without them having to wait for so long before I answer them. I get an average of 20 facebook messages, 60 questioning emails, and over 80 texts a day from people who are curious to know more about my politics, why I'm doing this, or just what makes me tick.

Well, go on then, you have our attention. This site has high traffic, do a AMA, answer some questions here, explain yourself better, spread the message because I don't have a grand to spare on a phone call because right now you're coming over just a little megalomaniacal to me. You say

Quote:
I've had 16 activists in jail already

What you personally? Are they your wards? Are you Momma Anarchist?

You say

Quote:
We want to liberate people from conventional forms of accepted practice

You want to liberate people? I thought it was an anarchist principle that people liberate themselves.

Fleur
Mar 4 2015 02:44
Quote:
Our methods, are unconventional. That means the way that we do the things expressed are uncommon.

How? Nothing you've explained is unconventional.

NLibertusOnline
Mar 4 2015 04:17
Quote:
Hello Nocturnus.
Erm, woman here, so you can't call me an manarchist for not leaping at this with unadulterated enthusiasm.

That doesn't mean what you expressed won't be nonsensical.

Quote:
Where, how when? Would this be the same FEMEN who are hand-picked for their attractiveness by a man, in order to get their tits out for the revolution? The same FEMEN that Amina Tyler left on account of their racism? Not at all sure what FEMEN has ever done which has been particularly effective.

Yes. I joined when I was 16 (before I knew about Amina leaving) and started acting in 2013 when I turned 18. I had to learn that on my own, though. FEMEN is not only racist, but lesbophobic, transphobic, and gordophobic as well. Also, the activists are not picked by a man, they are picked by a womin named Nina. And she picks who will be a popular/well loved face.

And even though I hate to say it, they have made changes in Ukrainian, German, and Korean politics. They also made some serious discussions take place, but not in a way that would be helpful to all marginalized groups.

Quote:
Surely you must see that if you're starting up a new organization that asking people to ante up $600+ to buy clothes is a bit weird? Every protest I've ever gone to I've dressed myself and I'm pretty sure there's not a central fund to clothe people who employ black bloc tactics. I'm pretty sceptical of any group who puts their image forward as a primary concern and asks other people to pay for it.

Well, I'm going to explain, because a lot of people don't seem to understand. A lot of our activists are poor, and homeless. In fact, more than half of us are. So I want to be able to get the clothes for them that they'll need, so they don't have to stress about coming up with it themselves. I can make that $600 cover 200 people. Ad they will use these clothes so that they are not immediately recognized on the streets by police, employers, etc.

Quote:
There's nothing particularly unconventional about political lobbying and involving yourself in elections.

This is not just "political lobbying", that is an ignorant statement, leading me to believe most of you are uneducated on what activism really is, or how it works. Lobby means, that we want to obtain influence in both the social and political sectors of the US. And yes, disrupting elections does happen to be unconventional, and an unpopular tactic in the United States.

Quote:
As for the $1000 skype call

Well, go on then, you have our attention. This site has high traffic, do a AMA, answer some questions here, explain yourself better, spread the message because I don't have a grand to spare on a phone call because right now you're coming over just a little megalomaniacal to me.

Yeah, I'd expect that. But no, this is what holding my own against internet trolls, manarchists, and condescending "4 realz anarkiztz" looks like. I'll credit that there were like 2 legitimate questions, but as for the rest? Utter bullshit and foolery.

Also, people are sending money to support the group, not for the skype call. They get the skype call as a "thank you" for supporting the group in such a way. Again, with the lack of common sense.

Quote:
What you personally? Are they your wards? Are you Momma Anarchist?

This may be new to someone who has no experience with the responsibility of making sure the activists in the organization the create are okay, so I will explain. When I ask people to join something I start, I have an obligation to keep my word, and to ensure that I follow through with what I say. When I say "safe practices", that means that the people I recruit to participate should not be endangered because of my decisions, or lack of knowledge regarding a situation or event.

Quote:
You want to liberate people? I thought it was an anarchist principle that people liberate themselves.

People can't do that, if they don't have the means to, so as a rarity, this is actually legitimate. But my position stands. We want to make these means for people to become liberated available.

Quote:
How? Nothing you've explained is unconventional.

Our methods of going about what was explained, are. Like I said, I'm not trying to force these people to become unnecessary martyrs, to only be forgotten after a couple of years.

NLibertusOnline
Mar 4 2015 04:17

Bruh we don't have that either. The fuck?

bastarx
Mar 4 2015 05:06

I can't remember a nut this entertaining on libcom for at least a couple of years now.

What does a $500 donation get you? 2 hours being harangued on Skype by dear leader?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 4 2015 07:44

This is worth a thousand bucks of anyone's money!

How many of you are there? Let's be very very generous and say 160. That makes 10% of 'your' activists have been put in chokey. Hmmm, a change in tactics may be in order don't you think? Not sure that a uniform is the answer though;

Cop 1 'do you have a description of the suspect?'

Cop 2 'yes, she was dressed in the Toys R Us Lets Play Anarchy outfit.

Cop 1 'ah, too easy, donut time!

Seriously, there has to cheaper and less conspicuous ways to protect your identity? Maybe not so good for the ego as having your little crew easily identified though, eh?
That said, I do like the picture of the uniform - it appears to be giving itself a round of applause!

One serious question - WTF is 'gordophobic'?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 4 2015 08:01
Quote:
This may be new to someone who has no experience with the responsibility of making sure the activists in the organization the create are okay, so I will explain. When I ask people to join something I start, I have an obligation to keep my word, and to ensure that I follow through with what I say. When I say "safe practices", that means that the people I recruit to participate should not be endangered because of my decisions, or lack of knowledge regarding a situation or event.

Politics aside, is the goal here to create a cult of personality? I think the way you've thrown around the anarchist insults - manarchist, authoritarian - has been pretty shallow, but you must recognize how for you to decide on uniform, speak about your "activists", and to offer up a phone call with yourself as some sort of prize is pretty damn hierarchical.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Mar 4 2015 08:04

Topic locked