Dream Zine

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yarrow
Jun 19 2008 13:33
Dream Zine

I'm of the opinion that a magazine could cater to the desires of the average civvie and the scenester. Such a rag would be apolitical in nature, with an emphasis on changing conditions in our country, supporting and connecting local struggles, with well-thought pieces on social interactions and progressive (and pragmatic) ethics.

Anyone got any ideas?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jun 19 2008 13:47

How do you mean apolitical? Individual social struggles shouldn’t be divorced from the wider political framework – that’s kind of the point of a social anarchist outlook.

Yarrow
Jun 19 2008 14:07

i meant 'apolitical' in the sense that most problems can be solved by going over the heads of the political avenues. Our social acquaintance with each other -and our buying habits- form a large part of our society.

waslax's picture
waslax
Jun 20 2008 07:01
Yarrow wrote:
i meant 'apolitical' in the sense that most problems can be solved by going over the heads of the political avenues. Our social acquaintance with each other -and our buying habits- form a large part of our society.

I don't think "apolitical" is the right word for what you mean. I think either "non-political" or "anti-political" would better suit what you are trying to convey; although I'm not sure exactly what that is, which is why I suggest these two, clearly different in meaning, terms.

Yarrow
Jun 20 2008 15:47

hmm. i mean that most problems are best solved by people (outside of a political context) and then pressure applied to 'representatives' at the appropriate time.

Which I would say is apolitical, by the standard definition.

Another argument down to definitions of words...

BillJ
Jun 29 2008 07:34

National reformist, eh Yarrow?

What exactly is a "well-thought piece on social interaction"? Can you give an example for us to be inspired by?

Tell me more about progressive and pragmatic ethics. What texts could you recommend that would lay out the properly progressive and pragmatic ethical principles?

So you think peoples' "buying habits" are the problem?

Please clarify.