Dispatch - public sector pay dispute bulletin thread

70 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Aug 7 2007 02:04
John. wrote:
uploading now, tho have added in more text since. workin on now until heroes starts ;)

But that is sci-fi!!! eek

John in turning over new leaf shock horror!! wink

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Aug 9 2007 10:53

Quick note on this, I’ve done a bit of a redesigned version of the dispatch, but ran out of time before I could PDF/send it this morning. Will do so tonight, but just so’s you know if you’re doing any updated versions I’ve now got a template pretty much ready to go, and will be freedom-free until next month if you want me to do any layout work for it in the meantime.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 9 2007 12:20

would be good to check out what you've done!

Mike Harman
Aug 10 2007 09:27

post strike calling off thoughts:

We were more interested in getting information out about the other public sector strikes + work to rule + wildcats and to encourage discussion, mass meetings etc. which I think was good, but being so targeted means it's immediately out of date to a large extent.
Some of us have been talking about the possibility of "meaningful negotiations" for weeks, but I really thought there was no chance of that until at least another couple of weeks given the momentum that was built up, the backlog etc. I think postal workers themselves are surprised enough that we may see unofficial action over the next couple of weeks, and plenty of work to rule. So we missed an opportunity there, or we could've talked about that, ignored the wildcats and then there could've been national wildcats all this week instead, so what can you do! I was ranting on royalmailchat yesterday about the CWU and there's several people on there talking about it going unofficial over the next three weeks, and lots more very keen to extend the work to rule.

Having said that, while the strikes are called off, the work-to-rule, wildcats and any movements in the rest of the public sector take on even more importance - since it's these that have the only chance of retaining any kind of momentum. I still think we should chuck them by the hundred in post boxes - if nothing else it'll help keep the backlog up!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 10 2007 09:50

all the stuff on 318 is even more relevent now, it's not entirely out of date. my thoughts:

best case: CWU is remarkably playing a clever hand, keeping the backlog in place through 318 while waiting for the quietest month at RM to pass and to coincide with the other public sector strikes which are being balloted/soon to be balloted.

back on planet earth: they've got a bit scared by the momentum that was building, there was a danger of the wildcats caused by the staggered strike getting out of their control, so they're doing all they can to stitch up a deal. however, RM are up for a fight and might not concede anything significant at all, meaning the CWU could try and 'sell out' and fail - as the offer on the table is not acceptable. that would either lead to more strikes in september, or if they didn't call them unofficial actions and an exodus of members. from RMC though it looks like some fear renewed strikes would have less support as posties feel they've had the bosses on the ropes and kindly stopped to let them recover - so what's the point of striking if the union calls it off whenever it looks like you're going to win? so that makes the worst case the CWU calls renewed strikes in september, but enthusiasm has ebbed and scabbing increases, i reckon.

Mike Harman
Aug 10 2007 10:12

Yeah in terms of September it could either jump start again if the negotiations are a fiasco, or more likely it'll be enough to split workers up and things'll get half-hearted and eventually peter out.

I reckon there's still a chance things could go unofficial during these three weeks though. Some Belfast gossip about to go on post strike thread.

Alf's picture
Alf
Aug 19 2007 10:41

We've just published our comments on the bulletin:

http://en.internationalism.org/icconline/2007/dispatch

We'd be interested in any thoughts about this.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 19 2007 11:35
Alf wrote:
We've just published our comments on the bulletin:

http://en.internationalism.org/icconline/2007/dispatch

We'd be interested in any thoughts about this.

Yo Alf I'm going to post some thoughts here:
http://libcom.org/forums/thought/political-discussion-dispatch-public-pay-bulletin-19082007