DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Council staff vote for mass strikes over pensions

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Mar 27 2006 20:41
Steven. wrote:

Do you think that's more to do with: 1. the union are shit, 2. workplace organisation in the country has been decimated?

Yes, but I've spoken to and in my own inimicable way just about persuaded more people about joining the union than have even met the rep, and that's telling people they're shit the whole time.

Mike Harman
Mar 27 2006 20:47

sorry I feel like I'm the little boy who wasn't allowed out to play on this thread, I'll stop whingeing.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 27 2006 20:49
Catch wrote:
sorry I feel like I'm the little boy who wasn't allowed out to play on this thread, I'll stop whingeing.

What so you're not striking? Are other people at your work? You can just refuse to cross lines right?

Zobag - nah not really, but TBH a lot of it seems to be that the unions are fucked. A lot of stewards/reps are just over-worked/burnt out and so don't have time for that stuff...

karmabum
Mar 27 2006 21:03

Steven I think you're right about the unions being fucked etc - our union reps are not allowed any working hours to do their work, they just have to do it on top of their normal workload, and if we attend union meetings we have to do it in our own time (usually lunchtime). No-one's got time to devote proper attention to it.

Mike Harman
Mar 27 2006 21:17
Quote:
What so you're not striking? Are other people at your work? You can just refuse to cross lines right?

As I said earlier.

Catch wrote:
even the rep at my work isn't striking angry
Steve
Mar 27 2006 22:17
karmabum wrote:
Steven I think you're right about the unions being fucked etc - our union reps are not allowed any working hours to do their work, they just have to do it on top of their normal workload, and if we attend union meetings we have to do it in our own time (usually lunchtime). No-one's got time to devote proper attention to it.

Union reps should be allowed time off to do union work and to hold union meetings. What union do you belong to?

lucy82
Mar 27 2006 22:30
Quote:
Oh bloody hell what's the matter with everybody?! (you're colleagues that is, not you lot...) It seems like the union hasn't done much to rally support amongst it's own members, doe sit not really want to win the strike or something?

its weird in our place. i had to ask three times to find out where we are meant to go picket. most buildings are shut. noones got any information except the union rep whose keeping it close to her heart and lets me in on a nudge wink wink basis. i heard her on the phone saying 'don't worry i'll get people there' but nothing said or sent out to people in the office. tbh, i feel like going shopping. i think its her stupid little power games but its really pissed me off today. the two union people in myoffice are a)the teamleader (whose on holiday) and b) the team leaders best friend. its rubbish.

anyway, i'm going to go stand in the rain, probably outside a shut office given the level of organisation so far and then go to a rally where we are supposed to shout 'blair, brown, pensions not war' or something equally depressing..

i'm going to france to burn things

martinh
Mar 28 2006 06:43
Quote:
Oh bloody hell what's the matter with everybody?! (you're colleagues that is, not you lot...) It seems like the union hasn't done much to rally support amongst it's own members, doe sit not really want to win the strike or something?

Well, that's actually not too far fetched. Unison's top brass are all Labour and have proved time and again that they will sacrifice their members' on the altar of electoral ambition.

They also seem to think militancy is something that can be turned on and off with a tap and are far more comfortable with lay members not doing things than doing them.

The branch I'm in sent a letter out a week ago written in Dickensian prose which didn't explain what the strike was and only exhorted people to respect picket lines, not to support the strike. The fact that they sent it to me shows they don't even know who is affected and can strike roll eyes

Regards

Martin

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Mar 28 2006 08:01

hey hey hey - so unions are shit - no news there for anarchists!

But we can't have it both ways: ranting on about workers self organisation - and then complain how union hasn't done this that or the other for us.

Good luck for today red n black star

Please post reports of the day here:

http://libcom.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8891

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 28 2006 11:36
JDMF wrote:
But we can't have it both ways: ranting on about workers self organisation - and then complain how union hasn't done this that or the other for us.

Exactly!

But yeah get reporting, I'll do one later...

http://libcom.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8891

karmabum
Mar 28 2006 13:25
Steve wrote:
Union reps should be allowed time off to do union work and to hold union meetings. What union do you belong to?

It's just the nature of the work - union reps carry the same caseload as anyone else, so the work has to be done, you don't get more than so many hours in a day, which is why you find a large number of our staff working till 7.30 and coming in on Saturdays. I hardly want to admit that i work for probation, as we are currently in the top ten for media slating and most people seem to either think we are pseudo police, or else we're sandal-wearing paedo-lovers who insist on freeing mass murderers into the community, but the union is NAPO - very well supported up North, but down here in the entire county of Surrey, we have the grand total of 60 members. Woo hoo.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 30 2006 21:16

Just to say our pensions feature is now pretty much complete, and will be kept up-to-date. Tell your friends!

www.libcom.org/pensions

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 8 2006 14:55

Well my manager just got my paid for my strike day, which is pretty cool. I think this is something all permanent staff with the authority to do should if they're taking strike action - encourage temps to stay home on full pay, and maybe request a donation to the strike fund? I think I'll start a new thread on involving agency/casual workers in industrial action...