Community Action Gathering - June 18th - London

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
kalabine
Offline
Joined: 27-03-04
Mar 24 2005 11:30
Community Action Gathering - June 18th - London

The community action gathering has been moved to saturday 18th june, same venue and details as before.

this is to avoid the clash with norwich anarchist bookfair and will hopefully allow us to promote the gathering at norwich

if it clashes with anything else - tough luck wink

i'll post the provisional timetable up later today or tomorrow

red n black star

Norwicher
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Mar 24 2005 12:55
kalabine wrote:
The community action gathering has been moved to saturday 18th june, same venue and details as before.

this is to avoid the clash with norwich anarchist bookfair and will hopefully allow us to promote the gathering at norwich

if it clashes with anything else - tough luck wink

i'll post the provisional timetable up later today or tomorrow

red n black star

Thats fantastic news! Have updated your event on our website and will promote it as much as we can.

Does one of your group want to do a talk in Norwich on Community Organising?

Can you PM me if so?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 24 2005 13:48

Excellent news. This should be ace.

Hmmm have any people from Ireland - north or south - been invited to this? Cos WSM and Organise! people have been doing great stuff around water and bin taxes, could give a good talk maybe...

Here's the full info for the event again:

Community Action

Organising in Our Local Areas.

Saturday 18th June

Haringey Solidarity Group and Hackney Independent will be holding a one day conference on community organising at Oxford House in Bethnal Green. There will be several workshops throughout the day, with a full schedule to be posted later on. The resurgence of interest in community organising - both in terms of groups starting up and ideas put forward in radical publications - makes this an ideal time for various groups across the country to meet and discuss past and future activity, and for those who aren't involved in a local group to come and meet other people with similar ideas. Information about HI and HSG can be found at

www.hackneyindependent.org

www.haringey.org.uk

Oxford House, Derbyshire Street, London

Bethnal Green Tube/BR

8 or 388 stops 50 metres away.

106, 254 5 minutes walk.

the button's picture
the button
Offline
Joined: 7-07-04
Mar 24 2005 14:54

Will there be a poster/flyer for this nearer the time? I'm just thinking I could mebbe fool (shit, no, I meant encourage) some non-anarcho types who are active on our estate to come along.

Always assuming I can get my own arse into gear for this...... embarrassed

kalabine
Offline
Joined: 27-03-04
Mar 24 2005 15:40
the button wrote:
Will there be a poster/flyer for this nearer the time? I'm just thinking I could mebbe fool (shit, no, I meant encourage) some non-anarcho types who are active on our estate to come along.

Always assuming I can get my own arse into gear for this...... embarrassed

we will be sending letters and flyers to all groups we have the contact details for over the next week or two - and then reminders nearer the time

if you think we (HSG) might not have your details you can email them to us

hsg@globalinternet.co.uk

the button's picture
the button
Offline
Joined: 7-07-04
Mar 24 2005 15:42

Cheers for that. smile

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Mar 24 2005 18:31

Superb, definitely going smile

Caiman del Barrio
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Mar 24 2005 19:53

What's the venue and time??

stinkerbell
Offline
Joined: 1-02-05
Mar 24 2005 23:05

Brilliant news - I know a lot of people involved in organizing the bookfair were gutted they couldn't make it, so now we're all happy bunnies! Let's hope both events go really well, and now there'll be no sulking anarchists in Norwich, pissed off at having to spend the day flipping veggie burgers

instead of going to this!

CATATONICA
Offline
Joined: 26-05-04
Mar 26 2005 21:04

What happened to the provisional timetable? sad

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 5 2005 18:01
CATATONICA wrote:
What happened to the provisional timetable? :(

That and all other info online on our new community action gathering page:

www.enrager.net/cag

Nick Durie
Offline
Joined: 12-09-04
Apr 5 2005 21:02

Ay it sounds excellent - I may even make the trip myself.

Mike Harman
Offline
Joined: 7-02-06
Apr 9 2005 23:30

Nick, if you do, say hello.

Here's the provisional timetable:

Quote:

Provisional agenda

12 noon - Arrival / refreshments

1pm - Introduction to the event. Brief introduction/report from each group present.

2pm - First workshops/discussions session [See list below]

3pm - Break for refreshments

3.30pm - Brief plenary

3.45pm - Second workshops/discussions session [See list below]

4.45pm - Report backs from discussions. Plenary on how activists can work together better to

support our communities and working class struggles…

5.30pm - End and clear up

Evening - Informal social

Note: if requested, we could organise an ‘overflow’ discussion on Sunday 19th, around midday…

Workshop/Discussion Themes

General

▫ Fighting for the local services and facilities we need

▫ Our neighbourhoods – improving our street scene and the environment

▫ Decent and affordable housing for all

▫ Regeneration, gentrification and planning

▫ Workplace struggles and issues

Practical

▫ How to set up local groups

▫ Communication techniques and strategies (newsletters, mailing lists, leaflets etc)

Debate

▫ Single issue campaigning

▫ Interaction with existing residents’ groups

▫ Council elections

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 10 2005 13:51

Should be ace, hopefully butchersapron will be down for it too. Hmm...

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Offline
Joined: 15-03-04
Apr 18 2005 23:08

i there a PDF of a leaflet available for this? I mean i can use the text on enrager and make a basic one anyway i just wondered if you had a nice looking one in mind?

butchersapron
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Apr 19 2005 07:06
John. wrote:
Should be ace, hopefully butchersapron will be down for it too. Hmm...

I shall, despite my severe dislike of meetings - i've promised enough people that i'll turn up that i really do have to...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 19 2005 09:09
cantdocartwheels wrote:
i there a PDF of a leaflet available for this? I mean i can use the text on enrager and make a basic one anyway i just wondered if you had a nice looking one in mind?

There's a doc file going around but it ain't pretty, no

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 19 2005 11:54
butchersapron wrote:
John. wrote:
Should be ace, hopefully butchersapron will be down for it too. Hmm...

I shall, despite my severe dislike of meetings - i've promised enough people that i'll turn up that i really do have to...

So you'll take me + pingtiao up on our £5 bets then? wink

butchersapron
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Apr 19 2005 18:14
John. wrote:
butchersapron wrote:
John. wrote:
Should be ace, hopefully butchersapron will be down for it too. Hmm...

I shall, despite my severe dislike of meetings - i've promised enough people that i'll turn up that i really do have to...

So you'll take me + pingtiao up on our £5 bets then? :wink:

Yeah, go on then.

kalabine
Offline
Joined: 27-03-04
Apr 23 2005 00:40
cantdocartwheels wrote:
i there a PDF of a leaflet available for this? I mean i can use the text on enrager and make a basic one anyway i just wondered if you had a nice looking one in mind?

we do have hard copies we can post you if you pm me - but as john said they are very plain, which is mainly my fault for not getting my arse in gear and doing the layout, there will be a new leaflet out nearer the time - which will be better designed

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 23 2005 11:40
kalabine wrote:
we do have hard copies we can post you if you pm me - but as john said they are very plain, which is mainly my fault for not getting my arse in gear and doing the layout, there will be a new leaflet out nearer the time - which will be better designed

Oh if you do and you want to link to our page on it, bear in mind it'll be libcom.org/cag - that address works now too 8)

And butchers: you're on for a fiver

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Apr 23 2005 12:32

I've made a rather basic poster that I took to the Festival of Dissent. Is there any way to post rtf files up on here?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 23 2005 12:32

nah sorry

Lazlo_Woodbine
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Apr 23 2005 12:48

Then you're shit, aintcha? tongue

oddjob
Offline
Joined: 25-04-05
Apr 25 2005 23:22
butchersapron wrote:
I shall, despite my severe dislike of meetings

There's someone I'd like to talk to 8)

Deezer
Offline
Joined: 2-10-04
May 11 2005 19:25

I know its early days on this but as it doesn't look like anyone from Organise! can get over would any of youse be willing to write up a report of the event for Working Class Resistance? It should be due out around August.

Cheers;

circle A red n black star

Con Carroll
Offline
Joined: 18-11-04
May 12 2005 12:21

Why do people want to invite w.s.m. to community action gathering

one does get fed up with middle class same old faces speaking on working class political issues

If anyone should be invited it is people who have been at the fore-front against racism

survivors of child sex abuse

people who are working class involved in their communities and the fight against privitisation. smile

kalabine
Offline
Joined: 27-03-04
May 12 2005 13:08

anybody who is genuinely interested in non hierarchical community action and organising is welcome - personally i'd rather it had an exclusively working class basis - but there you go

concarrol i have no idea what you're on about

PaulMarsh's picture
PaulMarsh
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
May 12 2005 13:16
kalabine wrote:
anybody who is genuinely interested in non hierarchical community action and organising is welcome - personally i'd rather it had an exclusively working class basis - but there you go

I should be able to make this, see you all there!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
May 15 2005 14:47

on the information page for this there is now a leaflet to download, print and distribute

libcom.org/cag

Divisive Cottonwood
Offline
Joined: 15-08-04
May 16 2005 14:08
John. wrote:
on the information page for this there is now a leaflet to download, print and distribute

libcom.org/cag

Bloody hell, nice that somebody's made the effort to get a leaflet together - but that looks like it's from the Quakers!

Can't somebody find a better picture??