Black flag mag feedback

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
blackstone
Offline
Joined: 4-11-07
Nov 4 2007 19:37

Question, so i'm supposing the magazine is only being distributed in the UK?

Cheers.

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 5 2007 09:27
georgestapleton wrote:
I'd be interested in writing somethnig for it sometime. I'd like to write something for an anarchist mag that has a looser editorial policy than Red and Black.

We would be interested in anything from a class struggle anarchist position. Email us about what you would be interested in writing.

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 5 2007 09:28
blackstone wrote:
Question, so i'm supposing the magazine is only being distributed in the UK?

Distribution will start in the New Year -- as for bulk copies, they can be ordered via AK in Edinburgh.

As for individual subscriptions, that is going to be discussed.

Basically, email the BF address and we can talk about it/

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Offline
Joined: 4-08-05
Nov 5 2007 11:22

Got a copy over the weekend. Looking forward to reading it.

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 5 2007 14:42

I should also point out that the next issue is aimed for May Day next year, then another for the bookfair.

However, whether we do depends on people writing articles and reviews for us! So, please, get involved.

Currently, BF is in Freedom and Housmans -- if people want a copy and are in or around London.

syndicalist
Offline
Joined: 15-04-06
Nov 9 2007 13:16

Just posted this on anarcho-syndicalism@lists.riseup.net. Hope it helps!

Quote:
Now Out! Issue no. 226 of the famed British anarchist magazine Black Flag.

It is £3 per issue and copies can be got either by writing to:

BLACK FLAG
BM Hurricane
London
WC1N 3XX
United Kingdom

or emailing us Black_Flag@lycos.co.uk

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 12 2007 11:44

Many thanks.

Out of interest, what do people think should go into the next few issues?

And would anyone be interested in writing them?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 12 2007 12:27

Hmm depends on when deadline is for the stuff to come in. If we're talking about a Mayday launch we'd want to have the design done at least three or four weeks beforehand, I'd want two weeks before that to work on it minimum, so that'd put us with a copy deadline of mid march? Sound about right?

Assuming it is, we could take a decent stab at a longer-term retrospective of how things have turned out for Unison since their disgraceful capitulation (plus profiles on the union bosses involved?), compared to the efforts of the PCS and CWU workers, followed by maybe a history piece on something similar which bypassed the union structure altogether (or was anarcho-syndicalist wink)and won?

On green issues, if we can get hold of someone with a decent class analysis who is also clued up environmentally, a really timely piece could look at the right/liberal hijacking of 'the way to save the planet' through freemarket ideology.

Everyone will be doing Haymarket, so we'd probably need a different twist on the subject, maybe look at the aftermath rather than the event itself (just do a quick factfile for the uninformed), who reacted how and where, and how did it affect us here in the UK in the longer term.

We've already got that second part of the Russian Revolution piece to come, and a churchill review already laid out, so to round it out a bit, a couple more profiles - maybe Donald Rooum? Joe Hill would be good for a May Day, a couple of longer reviews as well (NB//we've also got that Churchill one left over).

Other ideas folks?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Nov 12 2007 13:36
Quote:
Assuming it is, we could take a decent stab at a longer-term retrospective of how things have turned out for Unison since their disgraceful capitulation (plus profiles on the union bosses involved?), compared to the efforts of the PCS and CWU workers, followed by maybe a history piece on something similar which bypassed the union structure altogether (or was anarcho-syndicalist wink)and won?

I wouldn't say the CWU have been any worse than UNISON. At least Unison rolled over with no concessions before members lost money for striking, unlike the CWU...

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 12 2007 15:20

Yes, start of March would be about the deadline.

And, yes, Green issues would be good. I'm thinking of doing a "George Monbiot: Numpty" article on his wonderfully mad arguments on anarchism. Plus an introduction to Proudhon.

But if anyone else wants to do something else, that would be great.. Not sure about Haymarket, unless we get an interesting angle on it. Any new books on it need reviewing? I know an American Marxist academic has produced one, so maybe worth trying to get that?

I've also booked Housman's (5 Caledonian Road, King's Cross, London) for a launch meeting on Wednesday, 12th of December (6.30 for a 7pm start). A wee speel on the history of Black Flag, followed by discussion. If anyone from Freedom is reading this, could you put it in the paper? Thanks.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 13 2007 11:04
Quote:
I wouldn't say the CWU have been any worse than UNISON. At least Unison rolled over with no concessions before members lost money for striking, unlike the CWU...

Indeed, do go on... say 1,500 words?

wink

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Nov 13 2007 11:42
Saii wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't say the CWU have been any worse than UNISON. At least Unison rolled over with no concessions before members lost money for striking, unlike the CWU...

Indeed, do go on... say 1,500 words?

;)

ha sorry dude. we'll write something at some point, something substantial

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 13 2007 13:19

Quick article on indymedia, with a pdf of an article on John talyor Cauldwell to give you an idea of what the style is like, can be found here.

syndicalist
Offline
Joined: 15-04-06
Nov 13 2007 13:52

Just posted this to anarcho-syndicalism@lists.riseup.net list.

Hope it helps.

Message:

Attention London comrades!

Come to Housman's (5 Caledonian Road, King's Cross, London) for a Black Flag launch meeting on Wednesday, 12th of December (6.30 for a 7pm start). A wee speel on the history of Black Flag, followed by discussion.

For additional on-line discussion, go to http://libcom.org/forums/organise/black-flag-mag-feedback-28102007?page=1#new

tigersiskillers
Offline
Joined: 7-08-06
Nov 13 2007 14:06
Saii wrote:

On green issues, if we can get hold of someone with a decent class analysis who is also clued up environmentally, a really timely piece could look at the right/liberal hijacking of 'the way to save the planet' through freemarket ideology.

I'd be up for that, either in a personal capacity or on behalf of Social Ecology London.

Can send through examples of stuff I've written if you like...

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 13 2007 15:30

Superb, have pm'd you grin

sam sanchez's picture
sam sanchez
Offline
Joined: 8-09-05
Nov 13 2007 16:04

Where can I get one from. Is it online?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 13 2007 17:11
Quote:
It is £3 per issue and copies can be got either by writing to:

BLACK FLAG
BM Hurricane
London
WC1N 3XX
United Kingdom

or emailing us
Black_Flag@lycos.co.uk

wink

edit: It'd probably be an idea to chuck at least some of it online once we've sold through a bit, that'll have to be discussed in the collective though.

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 14 2007 09:29
tigersiskillers wrote:

I'd be up for that, either in a personal capacity or on behalf of Social Ecology London.

Can send through examples of stuff I've written if you like...

That would be great -- please email us at the Black Flag address (Black_Flag@lycos.co.uk). Many thanks!

Also, if anyone else wants to write please get in touch.

sam sanchez's picture
sam sanchez
Offline
Joined: 8-09-05
Nov 14 2007 09:38

What went in the last issue?

How philosophical / theoretical is the content? I had an idea a while back about doing something about theories of liberty. The general gist of it was going to be that capitalism and social anarchism don't necessarily have much between them in terms of freedom as absence of restraint, although anarchism would have more equal freedom in this respect. But then there are other concepts of freedom, especialy freedom as nondomination, that anarchism does better on, so overall it wins.

Is that the sort of article you might be wanting, or is that too much conceptual and philosophical wankery?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 14 2007 12:58

Sorry I dozed off halfway through the synopsis wink.

More seriously (and this is only my personal opinion, not anything official), I wouldn't see a problem with some more theory-based stuff going in as long as it was engagingly written with concrete examples people can relate to their everyday lives, had as much jargon taken out as humanly possible and wasn't too long.

Basically if mr/mrs average picks it up and opens it on a random page, if that's a philosophical article it needs to be written in a way which means they don't simply put it down and pick up the easier-looking mag next door.

BB
Offline
Joined: 12-08-04
Nov 14 2007 14:43
Saii wrote:
Everyone will be doing Haymarket, so we'd probably need a different twist on the subject, maybe look at the aftermath rather than the event itself (just do a quick factfile for the uninformed), who reacted how and where, and how did it affect us here in the UK in the longer term.

The fight for the eight hour day, the fight for the four hour day? (the wobblies, ftony or serge?)

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 14 2007 20:52
BB wrote:
Saii wrote:
Everyone will be doing Haymarket, so we'd probably need a different twist on the subject, maybe look at the aftermath rather than the event itself (just do a quick factfile for the uninformed), who reacted how and where, and how did it affect us here in the UK in the longer term.

The fight for the eight hour day, the fight for the four hour day? (the wobblies, ftony or serge?)

sounds good -- fancy writing something for the next issue?

BB
Offline
Joined: 12-08-04
Nov 15 2007 11:19
Anarcho wrote:
BB wrote:
Saii wrote:
Everyone will be doing Haymarket, so we'd probably need a different twist on the subject, maybe look at the aftermath rather than the event itself (just do a quick factfile for the uninformed), who reacted how and where, and how did it affect us here in the UK in the longer term.

The fight for the eight hour day, the fight for the four hour day? (the wobblies, ftony or serge?)

sounds good -- fancy writing something for the next issue?

As anyone involved in brighton SolFed can tell you, i have problems making a SF meeting (or bookfair! sad)let alone writing something... so apologies for that, also i've not been personally involved, not that that should be a prerequisite but it's helpful.

j.rogue
Offline
Joined: 8-04-07
Nov 19 2007 04:45

I was reading Black Flag in detention in high school and the teacher sent me to the principle's office escorted by a police officer, where I was grilled about the "immantent bombing attack by anarchists."

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 19 2007 14:58

Seriously?? Good grief they should meet Anarcho, terrifying he is… roll eyes

Edit: Actually, Black Flag’s not got the world’s most obviously anarchist cover, any idea what tipped them off?

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Offline
Joined: 18-03-06
Nov 19 2007 21:38

Once you folks have got a bit of time, we'd love some copies over this side of the world - if you want to PM me I'm sure we can work something out, I'd be happy to distribute to the various anarchist bookshops etc around the country.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Nov 19 2007 22:58

Did anyone see the points being raised about BF on urban?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Offline
Joined: 6-11-03
Nov 20 2007 00:49

I've just read the thread Attica (Gangster) started, mostly seemed like him talking a load of shite while whining (still) about how he was treated on libcom to me.

Anarcho
Offline
Joined: 22-10-06
Nov 20 2007 12:18
october_lost wrote:
Did anyone see the points being raised about BF on urban?

Can you summarise and provide a link?