Black flag mag feedback

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Oct 28 2007 14:15
Black flag mag feedback

Dunno if anyone bought a copy of the new black flag at the bookfair, but was wondering what ppl thought if they did?

stinkerbell
Oct 28 2007 14:20

General consensus round this way was it looked good smile

playinghob's picture
playinghob
Oct 28 2007 15:07

It was pretty good - for what could be classed a 'first issue' - given the last one came out almost 2 years ago- and it was put out by an editorial collective comprising of 75% new blood. red n black star

anarchol
Oct 28 2007 21:50

bollocks totally missed it! First I've heard of it is now...

Sorry.
Oct 28 2007 21:53

can you pop one in the post to me? Think of it as a way of soliciting copy from me tongue

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Oct 28 2007 22:12

Didnt see it being sold...

playinghob's picture
playinghob
Oct 28 2007 22:17

Where were you? Stall bang in front of the stage next to Housmans and Hobnail.

RPG
Oct 29 2007 21:33

have not read it all yet..really glad iain and others got it out again. good to see the freedom link too! content wise i think my only comment is that it was a bit too heavy on history rather than an analysis of current events, mind you as i didn't get around to writing anything for it i shouldn't complain too much. not sure about the cover design.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Oct 29 2007 21:54

Yeah that may have been a touch obscure (and I had problems with converting it to a usable format). It was based on this:

RPG
Oct 29 2007 21:57

ah that's cool - thought design inside was good, hope the mag becomes a regular publication again...it was the first anarchist rag I read back in the early 80s

knightrose
Oct 29 2007 22:48

I like dit. The content was pretty good, even if some of the articles were obviously written a while ago. I particularly enjoyed reading theBookchin article and the Durruti one.

Anarcho
Oct 30 2007 08:57

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it looks good -- thanks to Saii. And I agree about the front cover, not 100% about it either! Still, looks good overall.

In terms of content, yes, it is a bit past focused but it has to be remembered that BF has been annual since, what, 2000? News articles in such circumstances are hard to do. Hopefully, though, we will be more frequent now. We aim to be bi-annual next year before (eventually) going quarterly again.

Hopefully, of course. It depends on whether people are willing to write for it, buy it and distribute it. So, if anyone wants to get involved then let us know. We do need help.

I'm going to suggest having issues on specific subjects (like, for example, anarcha-feminism, anarchists in the trade unions, and so on). If anyone has any good suggestions on possible topics let us know. And, of course, if you want to contribute.

Also, it would be good for BF to have a classic reprint article each issue -- articles by dead anarchists which are rare and of interest. For example, I have acouple by Proudhon which would be good plus one by Emma Goldman for the anarcha-feminist one (if it gets done).

And hopefully the links with Freedom will strengthen and, of course, with other magazines/journals. It still seems silly to have so many magazines when we could work together to produce one really good quarterly magazine.

Next issue will be out for May Day next year, with the next meeting in January. Hopefully -- we do need help!

Iain

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Oct 30 2007 09:27

I thought it was pretty awesome, i wouldn't feel ashamed offering it as a representative of anarchism to someone who asked.

anarchol
Oct 30 2007 11:11

So where can I get a copy? Seeing I totally missed the stall at the bookfair (not sure how I managed that)

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Oct 30 2007 13:37

Thanks all, nice to know it's gone down alright smile.

Yeah from my own pov this one was very much a showcase/test version, hopefully by the next one the problems with edges (eg. the photos should have been right to the edge) and slight pixellation can be worked out, and there's a couple of minor restyling bits I want to do now I know roughly what the print job looks like.

Not sure about doing themed issues tbh, it's always a bit of an arse finding enough people with something unique and knowledgable to say about a given subject, much more so than it would be to put together works on a more general list of topics. If we had a massive contact list of expert people on every topic we worked on it would be different, but as it is we'd struggle I think, and atm keeping it simple and as easy as possible is important until we build up a larger collective to work on it.

On the subject of going quarterly, I've committed to doing one every six months. What I'd like to do, given the opportunity, is swap some professional training in layout and design (as in several days over a year incorporating design tips, explanation on layout theory, font usage, constructive criticism of work done etc) with someone interested, in exchange for a commitment to do the other two issues in a year that I'm not doing - which shouldn't be too difficult as showing said volunteer the design ropes for BF could be incorporated into their general training. People can PM me if they're interested in that.

Black Flag
Oct 30 2007 13:44

Yeah I'd like to know how I can get a copty too, saw it at the bookfair but didn't buy it, I kinda regret that now, looked good.

Anarcho
Oct 30 2007 14:35

Currently, Housman's and Freedom have copies. As does AK in Edinburgh.

If anyone knows of any shops or groups which would take some, please let us know (Black_Flag@lycos.co.uk -- yes, that is the old email but I'm hoping to cut spam to the new one down and it is still checked).

syndicalist
Oct 30 2007 14:39

When did the new Flag come out?

Anarcho
Oct 31 2007 08:14

Issue no. 226 came out for the bookfair (i.e., the 27th of October).

The next one should be out for May Day -- so, please feel free to contribute.

We do need help and material to publish.

dara
Oct 31 2007 11:18

I just read the biography of John Taylor Caldwell, which was excellent. I look forward to seeing more.

Werther De Goethe
Oct 31 2007 11:34
Anarcho wrote:
Issue no. 226 came out for the bookfair (i.e., the 27th of October).

1. How can it be issue 226. There is no continuity with the old Black Flag except for the name!

2. Why another navel-gazing anarchist mag for anarchists that the general public will ignore?

lem
Oct 31 2007 11:34
Saii wrote:

that's lush - is it a real poster confused

syndicalist
Oct 31 2007 12:12

Perhaps it would be good to plug BF here. I mean, give address and subrates.

Solidarity!

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Oct 31 2007 14:12

And the winner of ‘didn’t read the mag’s editorial comments or this thread properly’ award is: Werther De Goethe!

Werther, the reason it was ‘inward-looking’ (by which I assume you mean it had mostly historical content and, shock horror, some articles about important anarchists and their associated analytical works), as stated repeatedly, was because we didn’t have enough writers to put together anything more contemporary. If you want contemporary and outward looking work, write some.

Actually just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by inward looking here? It doesn’t deal with the UK anarchist movement today at all…

Anarcho
Oct 31 2007 15:17
Quote:
1. How can it be issue 226. There is no continuity with the old Black Flag except for the name!

I've been involved with Black Flag since 1998, when I joined the existing collective which included people involved when Albert was around. So there is direct continuity.

And on that note, why is Freedom called Freedom? None of the current editors were around in 1998 (never mind 1886!).

So, if you have a serious point please make it...

Quote:
2. Why another navel-gazing anarchist mag for anarchists that the general public will ignore?

That depends on whether anarchists try to sell it to the general public. Many anarchists do -- I know I can sell lots at demos while others sell it on their stall.

And as someone pointed out, try reading the editorial.

Anarcho
Oct 31 2007 15:22

It is £3 per issue and copies can be got either by writing to:

BLACK FLAG
BM Hurricane
London
WC1N 3XX
United Kingdom

or emailing us (Black_Flag@lycos.co.uk -- yes, its the old one but is still being checked).

It is sale or return (you send us at least 2/3 of the money of anything sold)

As for subs, we have not decided that yet. That will need to be discussed.

If you want to get involved, then email us.

In terms of articles, email us them as rtf or text. We do need people to contribute -- BF will be what its contributers make it.

RPG
Oct 31 2007 16:27

Iain - we are going to start doing regular stalls down here in Kent and there is a shop in Canterbury that will stock BF (I'm pretty sure they have in the past). It was a bit manic at the bookfair so sorry we didn't get a chance to chat properly. I'm at South Bank University now - be good to meet up and I can pick some copies up to flog...I'll also try to get around to writing something for it.

Richard

Anarcho
Nov 1 2007 08:19

Richard, send me an email to arrange meeting up and getting some BFs. Also, let me know if you fancy writing anything.

little_brother's picture
little_brother
Nov 1 2007 16:43

It's good to see it coming out again - it's on my pile of mags & zines from the bookfair (near the top).
One thing I would say is I personally like there being more than one magazine from the 'movement'. I especially like having one from each of the anarchist organisations as it makes it clear who is focussing on what.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 2 2007 13:23

I'd have bought one if I'd seen one.
I can get Freedom over here so I'll keep an eye out for it.

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Nov 2 2007 17:09

Yeah I regret not buying one now. Thought it looked good, but had read a lot of it before.

I'd be interested in writing somethnig for it sometime. I'd like to write something for an anarchist mag that has a looser editorial policy than Red and Black.