DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

1st May

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Big Brother
Feb 7 2006 18:05
1st May

I am not a huge fan of 1st May as it alway ends preditable outcome. but I come across this article below. It kinds of reminds me of the white band affair in edinburgh but it is London bound this time around. (Yup it's that "L" word again... )

Quote:

CHAIN REACTION

Fancy putting Tony Blair in chains? Fancy putting the whole of Parliament in chains? Well on May 1st you could make it happen. A special kind of protest is being organised to highlight the farcical ‘No Protest Zone’ round Westminster, part of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act which was rushed through Parliament after last years London bombings. 6,000 people are needed to form a human chain round the 1km exclusion zone that covers the area around Parliament. The exclusion zone was an mendment to the original bill, and has no relation to the rest of the Act, which is all about creating a taskforce of super cops to deal with organised crime. The reason the amendment was added was to try and stop Brian Haw’s continual, 5 and a half year protest of the British government’s foreign policy and sanctions in Iraq, during which he has been camping outside Parliament. This however failed because the idiots who drafted the law stated that organisers of protests need at get Police permission “when the protest starts”. As Brian’s protest had started years before the law as even dreamt up it didn’t apply to him! If you fancy mixing direct action with a giant game of Hokey-Cokey (careful when you shake it all about, you might get nicked) then go to www.pledgebank.com/protest

Hmmm just another 5428 ppls to go...

Elleo
Feb 7 2006 19:30

Where's the quote from? The actual pledgebank page seemed to be a little scant on details.

TangoMash
Feb 8 2006 17:32

I'd go but i'm lazy, 14 and my parentals probably won't drive me the length of the country to stand around parliment. neutral circle A

Big Brother
Feb 8 2006 17:46

I found it on this webby link see below.

http://www.schnews.org.uk/archive/pdf/news530.pdf

Second page near the bottom middle bit. Yeah I agree the link is a little scant on details. It seems some what amateurish and fallible. Maybe simple is best?

Digging further it seem he/her/group are behind this.

http://www.myspace.com/blairwitchimpeachment

Elleo
Feb 8 2006 19:25

Well if it happens I think I'll go along, but at the present rate of signups and apparent level of promotion that seems a rather uncertain prospect.

Big Brother
Mar 4 2006 12:57

PM me if you want to help out, something is a foot. (Confirmed Rumour).

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Mar 6 2006 23:17

i don't get it; why?

why form a human chain around the exclusion zone?

Mayday is fine with me, but perhaps focus on something slightly more important...?

I'm not having a pop, i may have missed the point on this.

madashell's picture
madashell
Mar 6 2006 23:24

Strikes me as more than a little pointless. If you want to defy the law, defy it, for fucks sake.

I can understand wanting to directly break the law by gathering in Parliament Square, I can understand avoiding Parliament Square altogether to avoid legal trouble, but what is the point of this, really?

ftony
Mar 7 2006 09:56

well i'm sure other stuff will be happening...

i think there was/will be a meeting at russell square about some sort of RTS type thing (as far as i can tell). sounds like more fun than holding hands with strangers or listen to TUists and labour back-benchers shout 'comrades' all day.

'if i can't dance, it's not my revolution', said the no-legged anarchist wink