1936 - 2006

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
WeTheYouth
Oct 9 2004 11:57
1936 - 2006

In two years it will be 60 years since the defeat of the anarchist militias in spain, maybe we shold do something.

I was thinking about maybe about an Anarchist Convention like an anarchist international- Held in the UK?

what do you all think.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 9 2004 12:01

er actually 2009 would be the anniversary of the defeat, 2006 would be the revolution.

I dunno I mean the organised internationals - IFA, IWA - have had their congresses this year...

Steve
Oct 9 2004 12:27

The IWA Congress is in December. I don't remember anything being on the agenda for this. There's nothing to stop anarchists in Britain doing something. It could be discussed at the next SF conference in 2005. Only trouble if the SF did something someones bound to say "Ha SolFed - all they talk about is Spain 36" roll eyes

WeTheYouth
Oct 9 2004 13:46
Steve wrote:
The IWA Congress is in December. I don't remember anything being on the agenda for this. There's nothing to stop anarchists in Britain doing something. It could be discussed at the next SF conference in 2005. Only trouble if the SF did something someones bound to say "Ha SolFed - all they talk about is Spain 36" roll eyes

So what, should we not mark what happend to our comrades many years ago? with something more than an internet board convo, its an important piece of anarchist history.

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Oct 9 2004 17:58
Quote:
Held in the UK?

or more logically, held in spain, seeing as that's where it took place. this has the advantage of being spain, and therefore nicer than some wet place with over priced beer.

Quote:
er actually 2009 would be the anniversary of the defeat, 2006 would be the revolution.

surely it'd be 2007, for the defeat of the anarchists, 2009 is of the entire republican forces.

WeTheYouth
Oct 10 2004 18:06
GenerationTerrorist wrote:
Quote:
Held in the UK?

or more logically, held in spain, seeing as that's where it took place. this has the advantage of being spain, and therefore nicer than some wet place with over priced beer.

Quote:

surely it'd be 2007, for the defeat of the anarchists, 2009 is of the entire republican forces.

Why not in the UK? Can we not show solidarity from within the UK?

LiveFastDiarrea
Oct 10 2004 18:13
WeTheYouth wrote:

We can't even agree on a year.

WeTheYouth
Oct 10 2004 19:08
LiveFastDiarrea wrote:
WeTheYouth wrote:

We can't even agree on a year.

Maybe there could be a meet up about it then?

Vaneigemappreci...
Oct 10 2004 19:10

this is the most hilarious thread

WeTheYouth
Oct 10 2004 19:11
Vaneigemappreciationclub wrote:

why?

redyred
Oct 10 2004 22:52

Man, it's a sad day for enrager.net when even Vaneigemappreciationclub thinks that.

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Oct 11 2004 15:05
Quote:

what's the point? it happened 60 years ago? i'm all for remembering fallen comrades, but surely it would be logical to have any event in the country where any veterans still alive can easily get to? there are better uses for our limitted resources. obviously, if there were say some locals who went to fight with the anarchists near a local group and that group felt like putting on some sort of event it would be good, but otherwise it would seem even more pointless than the pointlessness of mayday protests...

LeonardfromLeom...
Oct 11 2004 15:16
Steve wrote:
Only trouble if the SF did something someones bound to say "Ha SolFed - all they talk about is Spain 36" roll eyes

Yeah but this time you would be justified!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 11 2004 16:06
WeTheYouth wrote:

why?

Maybe cos it's been up a few days and everyone still thinks 2006-1936 is 60?

grin

Wayne
Oct 11 2004 16:49

Fuck sake We The Youth, not only are you not funny but you can't fucking count either! Who was it that did the stickers for the fiftieth anniversary (in 1996) with 'at least when the anarchists ran the buses they ran on time' or something like that? They were the damage.

WeTheYouth
Oct 11 2004 18:48

So what if i cant count, what the problem? The idea still stands. And not only are you an asshole wayne your a trolling cunt.

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Oct 12 2004 16:55

i got confused, and thought we were celebrating the 60th anniversary of when sabate and comrades decided to resume resistance to franco... well, that's my excuse for doing a maths degree and not spotting that anyway. although i'm not sure, but i think in that case it would be next year.

WeTheYouth
Oct 12 2004 17:24
i got confused, and thought we were celebrating the 60th anniversary of when sabate and comrades decided to resume resistance to franco... well, that's my excuse for doing a maths degree and not spotting that anyway. although i'm not sure, but i think in that case it would be next year.

Pretty much, it was like that, but im not too good at counting as and not good on the history, but atleast we could do something?

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Oct 12 2004 21:51
Quote:
atleast we could do something?

how about between now and then we work our arses off to get anarchism a serious current within working class struggles and then try and re-enact the revolution? a couple of years is a bit short i suppose, but then we have better resources for spreading information and moving around than they did when they started off in the 1870s, so we could at least have something resembling the insurrections that accompanied the cantonalist uprisings. how about we aim to be as much a threat to the british ruling class as the anarchists were that the police have to invent an entire conspiracy called the black hand and start shooting us, claiming we were trying to escape? that would be the best way to honour the memories of those who fell. i'm not holding my breath though.

WeTheYouth
Oct 13 2004 12:41
Quote:

how about between now and then we work our arses off to get anarchism a serious current within working class struggles and then try and re-enact the revolution? a couple of years is a bit short i suppose, but then we have better resources for spreading information and moving around than they did when they started off in the 1870s, so we could at least have something resembling the insurrections that accompanied the cantonalist uprisings. how about we aim to be as much a threat to the british ruling class as the anarchists were that the police have to invent an entire conspiracy called the black hand and start shooting us, claiming we were trying to escape? that would be the best way to honour the memories of those who fell. i'm not holding my breath though.

Lol. Well we could always try. But i am not holding my breathe eaither.

Augusto_Sandino
Oct 14 2004 09:30
Quote:

But then again, the workers of 2004 dont regularly face starvation and the farmers dont use ploughs with flint teeth. They may be a little harder to convince. Was it Gramsci who said that capitalism had learned to give a little to the workers so it would survive?

WeTheYouth
Oct 14 2004 12:47
Jack wrote:
WeTheYouth wrote:

But i am not holding my breathe eaither.

sad Please?

Okay you can count how long i hold my breath for.

Augusto_Sandino
Oct 16 2004 13:09

And remember that Anarchism in Spain had been going for 40 odd years before all the risings like Asturias. And they had the bonus of getting a good base in Spain before the marxists got there too.

Deezer
Oct 26 2004 10:10

So what's the answer? Is anyone really taking this suggestion seriously?

Why not put on events marking the 70th anniversary of the revolution?

Theres room for local events too, things don't have to (nor should they) be concentrated on London or whereever, and as for Spain I'm sure various groups and organisations in Spain will be organising something (I doubt very much whether the CNT and FAI would let the memory of their fallen comrades go unmarked). So if you fancy a holiday in the sun suss that out and pay them a visit. Or maybe you'd rather just have the holiday? Just seems that a suggestions been made and everyone falls over themselves trying to think of reasons not to do anything.

Nor does marking the revolution and commemorating fallen comrades mean not struggling to build working class roots for anarchism on these islands!

circle A red n black star

WeTheYouth
Oct 28 2004 21:50

Hows about if we have a demo outside the spainish embassy and then a party afterwards?