trucker fuel protests

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
woooo
Jul 1 2008 02:31
trucker fuel protests

Hi,

So trucker protests over fuel have come to aus. Much discussion on other libcom forums about the class composition and possibilities or limits of such action in other countries.

Are these truckers petit-bourgeoise owner-operators, what if any potential is there ?
or are they a harbringer of a mad max world

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/petrol-protest-causes-f3-chaos/2008/07/01/1214677983594.html

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 1 2008 08:02
Quote:
or are they a harbringer of a mad max world

with cannibalism, don't forget that.

juozokas's picture
juozokas
Jul 2 2008 10:31

they are vital part of the production process, they don't own the truck or the produce they deliver, they have a boss and get a salary, how are they petit bourgeois again? my dad drove trucks when i was young and while i can't remember it he said it's is a CUNT of a job too.

there's probably potential for solidarity among truckies and maybe they will score a petrol subsidy or something, good on em, they got my support

sangoma66
Jul 2 2008 13:01

Without trucks the country, the economy will come to a standstill. As such road transport is a key point industry and should be protected from massive price hikes. We in South Africa are already seeing small to medium size trucking companies closing their doors and selling their trucks. Their customers can no longer afford to come to the party and share the ever increasing cost of fuel. While Woo (above)  wants to comment about petit  beourgeois he should remember  that in the death, price increases are passed onto the consumer, so perhaps he should hold his commentsa back and think about how he will be affected by fuel price increases, not just in Australia, but globally

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 2 2008 14:39

sangoma you're aware that this is a libertarian communist site? working class struggles and all that?

woooo
Jul 3 2008 01:00

hi,

my comment as to whether they are petit-bourgeoise was a request for information, poorly put. I ask as i an unfamilar with the composition of these workers/small owners ? if you look at threads on say the news forum there is discussion about the make up of other trucker fuel protests in other countries and that some say as they are owner-operators they have that consciousness in the struggle...

i dont know if they are or if a portion is owner operators?

i'm hoping as these crisis-restructuring, fuel/inflation/financial crisis - happens that truckers might be part of a potentially important struggle we should support.

woooo
Jul 3 2008 02:14

http://libcom.org/forums/news/strikes-over-oil-prices-30052008

see discussion here, re make up of o/s trucker etc fuel protests. here i dont know the make up...

LauritzTheAgitator
Jul 3 2008 04:10

In an increasingly casualized and informalized work force, the old strict lines between certain classes, particularly between proletarian and petit bourgeois, seem to be breaking down. If your company, not wanting to pay social security tax on you, and prevent you from gaining union rights, forces you to become an "independent contractor' does that mean all good class struggle leftists must denounce and reject you as a fascistic petit bourgeois insect that feeds on the blood of the working masses? For example, according to FedEx, all of its drivers are "independent contractors." Do we on the left therefore have to accept the corporate word of FedEx as final as to the class identity of those drivers? It's time that our prevailing class analysis caught up with the massive changes in the organization and relations of production that have happened in the past 50 years and that are accelerating as we move forward into the heart of the post-industrial era.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 3 2008 12:31

Lauritz, if you'd read the discussion in the link above, you will find exactly the points you raise in your posts.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jul 4 2008 15:27

Trucker protests spread to New Zealand yesterday, although it was over an increase in a road-user tax, not petrol prices. Something like 4000 trucks nationwide according to the corporate media, in all 4 cities plus some in smaller towns. More info at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10519878

woooo
Jul 11 2008 01:26

questions:

this struggle will surely resurface, how can it and other struggles in our current inflation and work/energy/food/financial crisis be brought together or strengthened ? what are these struggles - or at least isolated refusals and how might little refusals ie. shoplifting, strikes for pay increase, petrol theft, become something more challenging to the 'shitstem'/capital ? how can 'we -oceanic radicals' aid/participate in such a process ? what might such a time of restructure-crisis mean for us and capital/state? how do we use the current problems to push for something well more 'libcom' ?

jeremytrewindixon
Jul 16 2008 05:12

How's this for a first pass position: Where they own their own trucks they are so-called "petit-bourgeois", (akthough as an english speaker I prefer to translate and say Small Citizen) and when they don't they are working-class. Much as with taxi-drivers etc. That is when they really won their own trucks as distinct from some scam to avoid tax or employers' laibility of various sorts.

The problem is entirely in the heads of mechanical (Marx would say "philistine") leftists who think that the Small Citizenry are inherently "fascist insects" and so on and so forth. Of course they aren't, probably everyone here has friends among the Small Citizenry, has helped raise money or food from shopkeepers to maintain long strikes and so on. It is a very diverse social layer (Not getting into the argument whether it is a "layer" or a "class"). And just as the bourgeois" or Citizenry includes as well as capitalists also upper professionals (Professor Marx would have just about sued anyone who called him "working-class") so the Small Citizenry includeds school-teachers etc......

The Small Citizenry tends to be the radically active class, both of left and right, these days the small business ones have generally fallen to the right. Hence, sadly, the stereotype radical smith has become the fascist motor-mechanic.

"Working-class" politicians? Including professional union officials? They are also at least aspiring Citizenry whether big or small as I think Bakunin may have been the first to point out. (Marx did not praise him for his lack of philistinism....) This was especially clear in Australia during the Accord, which was in essence about the fight of upper union leadership to be accepted as a legitimate part of the Ctizenry.

Erm.....I believe I am just restating the basic banalities here but I expect from experience that some will attribute stupid ignorance or wilfull heresy to me. Mechanical trotskyist notions of class have had a very bad effect on debate.

Both lower professional SCs and small busines SCs have points where their interests and sympathies co-incide with the working-class and points where they don't. And also, people are in the end humans and not exhibits for a lecture on class. They can act against their immediate interests, the SC can do it just like (sigh) the working-class!

From the point of view of a medieval social bandit Robin Hood expressed it quite well 500 years or more ago: "mind ye harm no husband (ie serf) who tills with his plough...nor no knight nor squire who would be a good fellow"

And, as Robin Hood might have said (but Marx did) "theory is grey but life is green".

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Jul 23 2008 06:14

Slow truck convoy may occur again
The Age
AAP
July 23, 2008

Truck drivers involved in a "go slow" convoy into Sydney to protest against high fuel prices say they may hold similar actions in the future. Up to 150 heavy vehicles joined the convoy which started at 6am (AEST) in the Southern Highlands and set a steady pace of 60km/h along the Hume Highway to Casula, where the vehicles dispersed about 9am (AEST)...

Rats's picture
Rats
Jul 27 2008 14:02

We were hitching home from climate camp and one of the truckers that picked us up told us all about the protest, he said they were going to blockade the highways though. Another trucker that picked us up thought they were all shit talking, and that if he was working that day he'd park his truck right across the road.

Brilliant i thought.

As for Petit-Bourgeois, only very very very few truckers would own their trucks. They're employed by freight companies. I'd prefer Petit-bourgeois truckers, then they wouldn't get sacked for giving you a lift.

x