"Fair Work"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jan 17 2010 08:53
"Fair Work"

How has this affected everyone? Does anyone understand just what "benefits" are given to workers as opposed to the laws under Work Choices? Basically everyone that I work with is a lot worse off, with one worker even losing $10 000 a year, which is a fucking lot when you're only on $40 grand a year as a fully qualified chef with a house to pay off. Everyone else has lost about $6000 a year, and the casuals a few dollars an hour. Has anyone done any organising around this yet? I'm trying to organise my workplace, but theres a lot of resistance, despite everyone being angry as fuck and the class struggle coming out in discussions...

Bilan's picture
Bilan
Jan 18 2010 04:20

My understanding is that there is scarcely any significant, beneficial differences between "Fair work" and "Work Choices".
Voilá! Fair Work Australia is Workchoices Lite

Spassmaschine
Jan 18 2010 04:31
anarcho_and_peace wrote:
My understanding is that there is scarcely any significant, beneficial differences between "Fair work" and "Work Choices".
Voilá! Fair Work Australia is Workchoices Lite

Well the op would seem to indicate that, in their experience at least, it's actually significantly worse than Workchoices.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jan 18 2010 04:45

Everyone I know has either a Workchoices or FWA horror story. Given how complicit the unions are in FWA, it's not too surprising they're not seen as part of the solution. It all depends on what is meant by 'organising'. As far as I know, not much outside of campaigns within individual industries around specific workplaces.

Bilan's picture
Bilan
Jan 18 2010 23:37

Hence why I said "scarcely any beneficial differences". wink

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jan 20 2010 15:34

I guess its fairly industry specific around campaigning, but the whole 'fair work' in itself needs to be brought o more attention, like the effort that went into the your right at work campaign...