'Capital' Against Capitalism Conference

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
May 28 2011 02:13
'Capital' Against Capitalism Conference

Hey comrades. This conference might be of interest (I have had a small role in organising it). It should be awesome.

Quote:
It seems significant, and hardly coincidental, that the impasse that politics fell into after the 1960s and 1970s coincided with the eclipse of Marx and the research project of historical materialism. Social democracy, various left-wing melancholies and/ or the embrace of dead political forms has stood-in for these absent names. Returning to Marx, to Capital and to the various traditions tied-up with these names may present a way to cut across this three-fold deadlock.

The papers at Capital Against Capitalism will respond to contemporary politics from a range of historical materialist perspectives. We want to bring together the theoretical discussions and debates occurring in Capital reading groups, PhD study circles, and Marxist political organisations and networks. Our conjuncture – its manifold crisis – urges new analyses, new strategic orientations and the engagement of activists and academics alike on these questions.

-from the website

lumpnboy
Jun 21 2011 06:31

Awesome is pretty strong, but some of it looks pretty interesting, and I'd like to see Nicole P speak. I'll see you there.

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Jun 23 2011 12:14

Sweet, see you there.

Android
Jun 23 2011 12:22

I would be interested in reading a report on how this goes, or even better if the sessions were recorded?

Tim B
Jul 3 2011 10:56

Hey android,

there should be a review coming in the next Mutiny Zine, I can send it to you when it's done if you want?

Not sure about recordings, but I think some of the papers are going to be published in the Cosmopolitan Civil Societies Journal at some point, as well as maybe being e-mailed to folks who expressed interest in them. There are some contact details for the organisers on the website - they'd probably be the best people to ask.

Tim

Android
Jul 3 2011 18:27

Tim B,

Thanks for all that info., I have not been on here in a few days since I was attending Knightrose's funeral.

Yeah, if you could send me the review-report that would be great.