Assembly for Dignity

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Feb 27 2011 00:37
Assembly for Dignity

Hey Comrades,
just letting everyone know that a few of us are organising against the recent changes to welfare.
Our website is http://assemblyfordignity.wordpress.com/
We are based in and around Brisbane at the moment.
cheers
Dave

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 27 2011 03:47

There was a workshop at the Anarchist Summer School where people compared notes around the welfare changes. Thought you'd want to know.

kuro
Feb 27 2011 07:00

What came out of the summer school notes?

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 27 2011 08:23

Well, like Dave's site says, it's a fairly straight forward matter to demonstrate that there is more workers than there are jobs.

The speaker (Owen Gager) looked at the mining industry and it's claims of creating jobs, when in fact it employs less than 2% of the population but creates 80% of Australia's export wealth. Especially in the NT and other remote areas, there is simply no labour market despite the resources boom – the technological displacement of labour is well known in Australian mining compared to, say, China, so the alleged logic underpinning many of the measures of the Intervention are false. Besides which, the fact that wealth can be created without having to do the bullshit work should be a good thing and not a sign to increase the immiseration of the unemployed.

The experimental "cure" of a military enforcement of aboriginals into a non-existent labour market is unusually cruel even for Australia, and the same punitive measures (minus the military) have been proposed in areas of high unemployment.

Owen also spoke of the levels of money that is spent on managing the unemployed that dwarf the actual cash payments they receive – the "job network", the operating bureaucracy of Centrelink, police enforcement and so on. This seemed to be a good area to concentrate on.

It was a pretty good talk, imho. Don't think I'm really doing it justice.

From memory, the discussion afterward was people comparing anecdotes of fucked things Centrelink have done.

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Feb 28 2011 06:18

Ta Lumpen, do you any contacts coming out of the meeting?
cheers
Dave

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 28 2011 13:52

I was just there as a participant. I can put you onto Owen, who has been doing unemployment stuff for quite a while. Looking at my above post, I really don't think I put across what he was saying. There was a bit of stuff on the transition from post-scarcity to over-consumption and a lot of stuff on Afghanistan, but not as wanky as that sounds. Well, a bit wanky but still super interesting.

Rats's picture
Rats
Mar 12 2011 02:55

There was some discussion about what we could do to intervene, we've got a few other projects at the moment incl. KP solidarity. We'll be making a poster about it in the near future though, and probably have an on-going campaign against the changes via the adelaide solidarity network(one of our prinicples of the network was that we'd fight job networks/centrelink, what a good start!)