DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Jerry Springer The Opera at Norwich Theatre Royal 8th May

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tug
May 4 2006 17:33
Jerry Springer The Opera at Norwich Theatre Royal 8th May

Jerry Springer is coming to town, and predictably reactionary Christians have been applying pressure to the Theatre Royal who are showing it next week, to cancel. They are also planning to demonstrate outside the theatre.

So not to be outdone Norwich Anarchists are going to hold a demo in solidarity with those involved with the show and against religious repression.

We're meeting on Monday 8th May at 6:30pm on the bandstand in Chapelfield Gardens before moving onto the theatre.

Bring placards, yer mates and anything likely to piss Christians off.

We're probably going to have another demo or two, depending on people's enthusiasm. They've got some bigwig Christian nutjob coming up for the Saturday show so perhaps we'll have another one there and of course there's the Salvation Army band playing outside on one night... twisted

Norwicher
May 4 2006 17:35

I'll bring the dogs on strings if you bring the Special Brew. wink

Or should that be the other way round?

PaulMarsh's picture
PaulMarsh
May 5 2006 08:09

The odd goat might help as well.....

Coconut man
May 5 2006 12:42

I definately think we should do something on the final night as well. If we just go on the first night it will be rubbish.

Norwicher
May 5 2006 12:55

Perhaps a few t-shirts are in order Tug.

Something like 'Jerry Springer-more popular than Jesus'

or

'Jesus had my mother over the kitchen table while smoking crack....now she's got a pox that would make Moses blush'

might be in order.

Tug
May 5 2006 13:02
Norwicher wrote:

or

'Jesus had my mother over the kitchen table while smoking crack....now she's got a pox that would make Moses blush'

might be in order.

I'll see what I can do. I'm going to be making some placards - any suggestions for slogans?

Norwicher
May 5 2006 13:04
Tug wrote:
Norwicher wrote:

or

might be in order.

I'll see what I can do. I'm going to be making some placards - any suggestions for slogans?

Jerry Springer walks on water?

or No wonder your churches are empty!

A plague on all bigots houses!

While you're here moaning your church is burning down!

stinkerbell
May 5 2006 17:37

Ahhh, the most evil of evils, a counter demo. we should enhance it by incoperating that other great misery, street theatre. Let's act out the bible in the medium of Jerry Springer....something along the line of....

Luke "Bitch, that Judas is totally screwing you over, you need to ditch that zero and get yourself a hero!"

WHOOP!! WHOOP!!

Jesus "Dude, I know, but he's like, my soul mate"

AWWWWW!!!

Mark "Nigga pur-lease! That ho been spreading his ass about like butter, you need to kick him to the kerb!"

Judas *beep* you, you *beep* *beep*

Jerry "Come on now Judas, that kind of behaviour's not helping anyone"

JERRY!!! JERRY!!! JERRY!!!

Judas *throws chair at Jesus*

BOOOOO!!!

Jesus That ain't gonna help get these nails out my hands bitch!

stinkerbell
May 5 2006 17:41

Or, more simply, we could stir that age old barrel and imply they don't like Jerry Springer cos he's a Jew.... twisted

PaulMarsh's picture
PaulMarsh
May 5 2006 18:11

On an earlier part of this tour the organisers gave a couple of quid off to anyone who produced one of the bigots leaflets on the door.

An excellent riposte!

Norwicher
May 6 2006 06:58
Tug wrote:
Norwicher wrote:

or

might be in order.

The abortion clinic is that way....

Tug
May 6 2006 17:04
stinkerbell wrote:
Ahhh, the most evil of evils, a counter demo. we should enhance it by incoperating that other great misery, street theatre. Let's act out the bible in the medium of Jerry Springer....something along the line of....

Luke "Bitch, that Judas is totally screwing you over, you need to ditch that zero and get yourself a hero!"

WHOOP!! WHOOP!!

Jesus "Dude, I know, but he's like, my soul mate"

AWWWWW!!!

Mark "Nigga pur-lease! That ho been spreading his ass about like butter, you need to kick him to the kerb!"

Judas *beep* you, you *beep* *beep*

Jerry "Come on now Judas, that kind of behaviour's not helping anyone"

JERRY!!! JERRY!!! JERRY!!!

Judas *throws chair at Jesus*

BOOOOO!!!

Jesus That ain't gonna help get these nails out my hands bitch!

You're funny when you're drunk Stinker! grin

stinkerbell
May 6 2006 17:27
Tug wrote:

You're funny when you're drunk Stinker! grin

Sssshhh.....let poeple think my wit is ever-present and nothing at all to do with red wine embarrassed

Norwicher
May 8 2006 21:52

There is a CW report of the event here http://www.londonclasswar.org/newswire_cwackers.php

PaulMarsh's picture
PaulMarsh
May 9 2006 08:35

Were there any BNP there?

I have seen a leaflet BNP members have been leaving in churches (!) in east Anglia, denouncing the appointment of the Archbishop of York, and this is an area they are trying to work in.

Coconut man
May 9 2006 10:46
Quote:
Jerry Springer the Opera protests

SARAH HALL

09 May 2006 10:16

Protesters converged on the Theatre Royal last night for the opening of the controversial Jerry Springer The Opera.

Religious groups from across the city united to object to the six-night show which depicts Jesus, Mary and God as guests of Jerry Springer's talk show, claiming it is “blasphemous and slanderous”.

The 40-strong crowd, which was carrying placards with “Jesus Saves” and chanting Christian songs, were met with chants of “Jerry” from the Norwich Anarchists group.

However, the storm did little to deter the several hundred theatre-goers who remained adamant they were going to see the show to have a good time.

Up to 20 church leaders have signed a letter opposing the show, which in one scene shows Jesus wearing a nappy.

Protestor William Harrison has been a Christian for three years. He wanted to discuss religion with the theatre-goers.

“I love the Lord Jesus Christ and want to make sure people understand this show is blasphemous,” the 21-year-old from Winter Road, Norwich, said. “A show like this will not be tolerated and I am here to represent Jesus Christ.”

Rob Langley, 44, a member of the Potters House church in Dereham Road, said: “God is love, and these people who are watching this show need to be saved. I am here to do that.”

Pastor Allen Jenkins said: “The show is blasphemous and slanderous and we want it stopped.”

Rolf Saxon, who plays Jerry Springer, said about the protestors: “I suggest they come and see the show.”

Theatre-goers were not put off by the protest. One said: “I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is just like going to see Jesus Christ Superstar.”

Ellen Cave, 76, from Lingwood went to the show with her daughter Susan.

She said: “We hope to enjoy ourselves. We all know what the world is like and you hear people swearing all the time.”

Matt Galen, 18, went to the show with his ND Media Group class from City College.

“The show is controversial and that is why our course has been encouraged to go and see it,” he said. “It is creative and I want to see it to gain a wider understanding of all media. The protest seems pointless.”

Tug Wilson, 27, joined about 15 others from the Anarchists Group objecting to the protests.

“I believe in free speech,” he said. “It is backwards to try to put pressure on a show to close because people believe it is blasphemous.”

Theatre chief executive Peter Wilson came out to see the protests for himself, while Jane Walsh from the Theatre Royal said: “Everyone has the right to their opinion.”

What do you think about the staging of the show? Write to Letters, Evening News, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.

Evening news

For some reason all the reporters and media people seemed to flock to Tug - Perhaps because he's the most stereotypical anarchist out of the group?

I don't think the BNP were there, although someone told me that one of protestors was a BNP supporter.

stinkerbell
May 9 2006 12:45

Well that was fun! Bit shocked to see loads of the people from the church opposite my house there as part of Christian Voice though, dodgy fuckers. Ergh, if I listen hard enough, I can hear them singing right now....

I've done a leaflet for the next one, I'm putting Now or Never!'s name to it, if it's cool I'll stick Norwich Anarchists and Great Commotion on there too - if anyone has a problem with that let me know.

SUPPORT FREE SPEECH - SUPPORT THE THEATRE ROYAL

We are here to support The Theatre Royal's decision to show "Jerry Springer - The Opera". Not on any artistic merit - some of us have seen it and loved it, others have seen it and thought it was offensive rubbish, some of us simply haven't seen it at all - this is irrelevent. We believe that freedom of speech means just that, and that in a secular society such as Britian, religion should play no part in dictating what we can and cannot see for entertainment. Much like the recent controversy surrounding the infamous Mohammed cartoons, the minority that is the religious right is attempting to dictate to the majority what is acceptable - in the 21st century this cannot be tolerated! We fully support the right of Christians to protest outside theatres showing "Jerry Springer....", however their attempts to stop it being shown at all for the moral good of the nation are both dangerous and ignorant, and some of the tactics they have used have been rooted in intimidation. Extremist group "Christian Voice" threatened to picket the offices and care centres of Scottish cancer charity Maggies Centers if they accepted money that had been raised for them at a showing of the production. Christian Voice have been the main force behind the protests, much to the distress of more tolerant and moderate Christian groups. This openly right wing evangelical group promote the persecution of homosexuals, compare abortion to the holocaust and call for the repression of the rights of followers of other faiths. When the BBC broadcast the show, the group published the home addresses and phone numbers of some of their workers, leading to death threats to them and their families. One family recieved threatening phone calls whilst obseving a 3 minute silence for the victims of the Tsunami. 9 out of the 21 theatres that were going to take part in the current tour have pulled out following pressure from Christian Voice - we applaud The Theatre Royals decision to stand up to these bigots and are proud to have them as our local theatre.

The contoversy surrounding "Jerry Springer.... " is reminiscent of the scandal that surrounded the 1970's film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". As on that occassion, Christian protesters completely miss the point the writers are trying to make - just as "Monty Python..." was an attack on false Messiahs and unquestioning worship, so "Jerry Springer...." is a satire of the media and modern society, not simply an attack on the Christian faith.

Christian fundamentalists argue that the show is offensive because it portrays "sexual deviancy". In this day and age, it is astounding that there are still those who are so judgemental about the lifestyle choices of others! We are here to show our disgust at the repression and hatred that the church has and still does have towards sex and sexuality, especially towards women and homosexuals. The main bone of contention seems to be that Jesus is portrayed as gay - we say, so what?! Why is this such an offensive idea to some? Again, the church's archaic and hateful true nature rears its ugly head.

Of course we understand that some of the scenes in "Jerry Springer..." are offensive to some Christians, and that some may find them upsetting or distastefull. There is a simple solution to that - don't go and see the show! Believe it or not, we do live in a demcracy, and one of the conflicts with doing so is we all have to be tolerant of things we don't like or understand. If we are to continue to live in a free country, then the recent rise of the religious right must be stamped down - more and more of our freedoms are being curtalied every day, let's not allow our right to question the authority of the church be one of them.

stinkerbell
May 9 2006 12:46
Coconut man wrote:

For some reason all the reporters and media people seemed to flock to Tug - Perhaps because he's the most stereotypical anarchist out of the group?

Dude - he's a sexy man, that's why.

Norwicher
May 9 2006 15:18

I only have one issue with handing leaflets out at this event.

The majority of people are going to a show....and likely couldn't give a monkeys whether they recieve a pro or anti leaflet, they're just going out for the night.

Personally I'd have thought simply keeping them entertained by baiting the 'sandals'would be more than enough of an accomplishment.

God told me..... wink

stinkerbell
May 9 2006 15:28

I don't think it's gonna hurt though, and it's an opportunity to show anarchists in a "good light", for once we're not the loonies! I wasn't even really thinking about leafletting people going past TBH, more for if someone says who are you, why are you here or similar.

I'm basically lazy and don't like talking to the public grin

Tug
May 9 2006 16:26

Thought it was a great demo last night, those Christian Voice folk are a dodgy bunch of fuckers mind. There was definately one BNP supporter with them and considering their biggoted views it wouldn't surprise me if others were involved in the BNP.

So is everyone up for a rematch Saturday? Someone high up in CV is appearing - it'd be great to have another good turnout to oppose these fucks. Shall we meet at the Chapelfield bandstand at 6:45pm?

I like your leaflet Stinker, good stuff. smile

Tug
May 9 2006 16:46

We need to sort out a stereo too....so we can play http://www.tigerlillies.com/2003/index.php?main=recordings&trackId=9 full blast at them when they sing.

Norwicher
May 9 2006 16:47

Abso-fucking-lutely! wink

Coconut man
May 9 2006 16:50

Going back on saturday sounds good to me - but you realise it's the 13th, right?

Tug
May 9 2006 17:00
Coconut man wrote:
Going back on saturday sounds good to me - but you realise it's the 13th, right?

Shit - that's a bit of a pisser. On this occaision I think we should postpone the meeting 'til after the demo. Perhaps we can send someone with a bike down to Micawbers at around 7:15pm to check whether anyone's come along. We'll just have to keep the meeting super short - perhaps we should try to focus on Bookfair stuff unless there's other stuff folk think is really important to discuss.

creepyoller
May 9 2006 19:19
Tug wrote:
We need to sort out a stereo too....so we can play http://www.tigerlillies.com/2003/index.php?main=recordings&trackId=9 full blast at them when they sing.

Fuck me I've got tears running down my face. That is really funny, and I've never heard it before(sheltered life). twisted

Tug
May 9 2006 19:22
creepyoller wrote:
Tug wrote:

Fuck me I've got tears running down my face. That is really funny, and I've never heard it before(sheltered life). twisted

Did you read the lyrics? tongue Sheer fucking perfection...can't wait to see their faces when we blare that over Kum-ba-fucking-ya...

stinkerbell
May 9 2006 19:23

^ Sorry Tug,that was actually me...^

Log out next time fool roll eyes

creepyoller
May 9 2006 19:49
Tug wrote:
creepyoller wrote:
Tug wrote:

Did you read the lyrics? tongue Sheer fucking perfection...can't wait to see their faces when we blare that over Kum-ba-fucking-ya...

I've had mi guitar out, mp3 on, lyric sheet infront of me having a solo sing song.

monitor
May 10 2006 20:27

Great work on the counter-protest! I've blogged about it here http://www.mediawatchwatch.org.uk/?p=468

If anyone takes any photos on Saturday, I'd really appreciate it if you would let me use them. Or any other interesting snippets of info.

It's great to see people standing up to these censorious bigots. Chanting "Elvis" was inspired!

BTW, some of the commenters over at Mediawatchwatch think you should smarten yourselves up a bit for Saturday's demo. Mr. T

stinkerbell
May 10 2006 20:37
monitor wrote:

BTW, some of the commenters over at Mediawatchwatch think you should smarten yourselves up a bit for Saturday's demo. Mr. T

What a buch of cocks then. If their view of people is influenced by whether or not they've had a shave (I assume this aplies to men only, or do some of us ladies need to take a gillette to our legs lest we offend?) they can kiss my stinky, hairy cunt.

WElcome to the boards moniter smile