The Young Offenders Institute

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 3 2007 22:16
The Young Offenders Institute

What do manc anarchists think of the Young Offenders Institute (the band)?

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Apr 10 2007 21:25

"Skin up..." is a good tune but the rest of the tracks on myspace are awful...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=14199415

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 17 2007 20:36

i was thinking more politically. They have the line "hey, yeah, we're the young offenders, working class pretenders, going on the benders" it's been a long time since a band has used being working class as a description that doesn't reek of affectation, self-aggrandisement or status building. (Or embedded in kind of jocular half-embarrassed nervous irony).

Beyond the obvious cultural swagger and familiar manc drawl they are essentially 4 ordinary working class lads, alienated, angry, pissed off; all the things in fact that should draw us closer with anarchists if we had the foresight and ability to connect with people.

They claim they're "putting working class rebellion back into rock'n'roll" which may come across and trite and contrived but certainly could be a starting point for some cross cultural dialogue?

Agree with you about Skin Up (you should really hear the version without the kids choir), but you also should have a listen again to Let Me Out, ostensibly about being locked up but reaches out on all sorts of other levels.

bit of background:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/articles/2004/12/09/young_offenders_institute_unheard_music_group.shtml

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Apr 19 2007 17:28

I think your reading something into it that isnt there.

You say

Quote:
Beyond the obvious cultural swagger and familiar manc drawl they are essentially 4 ordinary working class lads, alienated, angry, pissed off; all the things in fact that should draw us closer with anarchists if we had the foresight and ability to connect with people.

You could say the same about Skrewdriver. I think there down outs who are willing to sell it for all its worth, they might say things we would half agree with though...

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Apr 19 2007 17:33

Blunt as always revol

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 19 2007 20:05
october_lost wrote:
I think your reading something into it that isnt there.

You say

Quote:
Beyond the obvious cultural swagger and familiar manc drawl they are essentially 4 ordinary working class lads, alienated, angry, pissed off; all the things in fact that should draw us closer with anarchists if we had the foresight and ability to connect with people.

You could say the same about Skrewdriver. I think there down outs who are willing to sell it for all its worth, they might say things we would half agree with though...

Indeed you could say the same about morrissey, cockney rejects, revol's sturdy blaggers, the dropkick murphys... any number of bands.

Maybe i have overestimated their potential to vocalised working class dissaffection, and given the collyhurst backdrop i'd say they'd do pretty much what it takes to sell it for what it's worth, but beyond the student union fodder of artic monkeys and hard-fi there isn't anything out there putting class back on the agenda music wise?

Down outs?

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 20 2007 01:25

thing is october_lost who are you talking about when you're talking about the working class? Which working class are you trying to reach, connect with, which working class will it be that you build solidarity with?

Surely YOI are the very working class you aspire, with your politics, to be affecting? Who'd live on council estates, who'd vote bnp, who'd turn to crime, who'd have very ordinary jobs if it wasn't for the music they make?

Is there a different kind of working class you want to connect with?

And if YOI are appealing to working class kids, ordinary working class kids, who haven't had a university education, who haven't had the privilege of family money, who haven't read the required set text, who are, like a million other working class kids, not very pretty, soft on nationalism, absurd in a world we don't ever have to be a part of, because we have our anarchism, we have our internet, we have the safety of our lifestyle to protect us from, where then do we go? Or rather where to we remain?

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 20 2007 01:47
revol68 wrote:
coffeemachine wrote:
thing is october_lost who are you talking about when you're talking about the working class? Which working class are you trying to reach, connect with, which working class will it be that you build solidarity with?

Surely YOI are the very working class you aspire, with your politics, to be affecting? Who'd live on council estates, who'd vote bnp, who'd turn to crime, who'd have very ordinary jobs if it wasn't for the music they make?

Is there a different kind of working class you want to connect with?

And if YOI are appealing to working class kids, ordinary working class kids, who haven't had a university education, who haven't had the privilege of family money, who haven't read the required set text, who are, like a million other working class kids, not very pretty, soft on nationalism, absurd in a world we don't ever have to be a part of, because we have our anarchism, we have our internet, we have the safety of our lifestyle to protect us from?

what are you blathering about you loon?

Did you come on here wanting to know what people thought of their music or wanting to know what 'anarchists' do to reach out to 'these sort of people', which is rather patronising to this band to be honest. I mean do you like them for their 'art' or do you see them as a social worker case study?

YOI might will never appeal much to working class youth cos their music is dire.

As for having the internet and lifestyle to protect us, well i don't need much protecting from working class kids (well maybe some of the little fuckers), they aren't some alien species ffs, they are my wee brother and his mates, and a load of kids I know from backhome in Larne. What way do you want us to appeal to them? Buy them a pint and lecture them about anarchism?

sounds familiar.

Didn't some drunken lifestyler say much the same to you at the first dublin bookfair?

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 20 2007 01:53

wink

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Offline
Joined: 9-02-06
Apr 22 2007 11:15
Quote:
They claim they're "putting working class rebellion back into rock'n'roll" which may come across and trite and contrived but certainly could be a starting point for some cross cultural dialogue?

http://www.workingclassrecords.co.uk/main.html

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Offline
Joined: 8-11-05
Apr 22 2007 14:06
revol68 wrote:
the truth often is.

seriously it's shite and contrived (and that's just the music), like Blaggers ITA and the Happy Mondays ganging up and mugging Oasis.

It's done far better by the Arctic Monkeys.

Straight to the bargain bin to rest beside Hard Fi!

thats exactly how i'd describe it eek

with the exception of hard fi who i don't know well enough.

CM's a fan of the arctics too anyways.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Offline
Joined: 8-11-05
Apr 22 2007 14:09
coffeemachine wrote:
thing is october_lost... [snip]

Totally different thread pal grin

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 23 2007 13:02
Tacks wrote:

thats exactly how i'd describe it eek

with the exception of hard fi who i don't know well enough.

CM's a fan of the arctics too anyways.

absolutely i love the arctic monkeys and hard-fi and the mondays and blaggers and, on a good day, oasis. But this would've surely gone in libcommunity if i'd just wanted everyone's opinion on their musical merit or otherwise.

Specifically asking mancunian anarchists what they thought to see if there was any resonance with mancunian working class lads being in a band, as opposed to being in political groups, and if there was a potential for crossover. Apart from the response from october_lost there doesn't seem to be.

PS a bit of 25th of may as well, tacks, for the old skool.

- more young offenders songs
www.tagworld.com/youngoffenders

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Apr 23 2007 13:08

I think Ed likes Hard Fi as well. The loser.

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 23 2007 13:11

somehow those responses remain oddly reassuring

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 23 2007 13:16

perhaps. If neither of you spoke out loud

coffeemachine
Offline
Joined: 31-03-06
Apr 23 2007 13:22

laugh out loud

Refused's picture
Refused
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Apr 23 2007 14:00
revol68 wrote:
hard fi are utter pish!