DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Stop Crystal and family from being Deported..Online Petition

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
pushka
May 10 2006 16:27
Stop Crystal and family from being Deported..Online Petition

Hiya, my son's friend and her family have been sent to detention centres in the UK this morning. He and his friends are distraught about this happening to them, and would be grateful if you could sign their Online Petition in support of Crystal and her family.

http://www.piczo.com/xSavexCrystalx?g=14477065&cr=5

http://www.piczo.com/xSavexCrystalx?g=14477066&cr=5

lucy82
May 10 2006 16:59

Have they got access to a decent lawyer? Do they have an anti-deportation campaign to support them? Do you know where they are being detained? Do they have removal papers/a date to be deported? If so, it would help to know what flight and airport? If they have a mobile number and want people to intervene they need to get in touch with NCADC for urgent advice if they haven't already. sorry, so many questions.

ps.don't put their mobile number on here (if you have it). sure you know this already but just in case. its important to be careful about how things are done because of reprisals.

pushka
May 10 2006 17:10

Hiya Lucy, I was going to ask you if there was any way of finding out the answers to your questions.

Unfortunately they were 'snatched' at 7.30am today, and the first Daniel heard about it was from school friends and then from their school chaplain.

I don't think she gave any specific details about where they're being held or their access to lawyers etc. I will see if there's any way I can speak to her about it.

For some reason the kids are thinking that the family have been separated from each other? each member placed in a separate centre? Don't know if that's just confused messages though.

lucy82
May 10 2006 17:14

they might have separated them but usually they keep the kids in the same detention centre with their parents unless they are teenagers but its rare to seperate even older kids from their parents or it could be a cockup but thats probably rumour. parents might be detained seperately from each other though. presumeably if the caplains been in touch with the family he/she might have some contact info.

if you can get a message to them, tell them to get in touch with the National Coalition of Anti-deportation Campaigns www.ncadc.org.uk which has lots of information for people facing deportation. If they are about to be put on a plane in the next day or two then NCADC might be able to provide practical advice as to what can be done to buy some time.

They need this information from your friends family.

Full name

Date of birth

Home Office Reference number

Home Office Port Reference number

Same details for any family members

Any medical problems

Place of detention

Copy of removal directions/ that is the flight number and the time

Contact details for their solicitor if they have one

Contact details for their MP

They or a supporter will have to email the details to ncadc@ncadc.org.uk and follow up with a phone call to 0121 554 6947.

I'm assuming you don't know them too well but if you could ring the chaplain and explain (maybe get the chaplain to look at ncadc website) the chaplain might be able to speak to the family?

knightrose
May 10 2006 17:24

any help we can provide, just ask. Don't know what we can do, but we'll do it if you ask ...

pushka
May 10 2006 17:27

Lucy, thanks so much for your help and information. I visited the NCADC website a short time ago and was intending recommending it to Tina, the school chaplain. I will send a message to her tomorrow, via Daniel and try to follow this with a phone call as well.

I will let you know if there is any further news.

The children are teenagers, so perhaps the rumours of them all being separated have some truth in them afterall. So sad.

lucy82
May 10 2006 17:36

good luck pushka. hug daniel as well, horribly kids find out the hard way about the immigration system when their friends get seized sad

the school could help too. letters/emails/phone calls to their mp. support from other parents, all this is good. maybe someone at the school could ask for a meeting at the school and whip up support? sorry, i know you probably have other things going on, i don't mean you. maybe other people are thinking along similar lines. maybe an urgent message in assembly or a letter from the head to parents? school campaigns have been amongst the most successful. but if they are already in detention, then they need advice from ncadc. resisting being put on a plane also works as does outside people phoning airlines etc. a surprising number of people have deportations stopped at the last minute through interventions. hope they have a good lawyer. if not, they need to ask ncadc for recommendations. even inside detention centres people can use mobiles and access internet.

pushka
May 11 2006 11:44

Knightrose, thanks for your offer of support...sorry I didn't spot your post yesterday!

Lucy, once again, thanks for your support and advice also.

A group of us is meeting tonight, we're in the midst of setting up a local community group, and we've decided that this issue needs to be discussed in just the manner that you suggest, in order to get the local community and the school working hard for this family.

I know a local woman who used to be part of an organisation in Nelson that worked directly with Asylum Seekers, so I can ask for her advice too, however I'm not sure if the local group she belonged to is still working with Asylum Seekers.

I will be sending emails to people who I know have contacts in this respect however...

All help/advice is much appreciated from all sources....Thank You.

Mitch
May 11 2006 14:26

The Karim family are on the front of the Lancashire Evening Telegraph today - here's a summary of the article - there at Yarlswood near Luton, and could face deportation within the next 72 hours

Push - I've got a copy of the Lancs evening telegraph - will give it to you tonight. Any more advice before we meet the others tonight would be great - cheers Mitch

A little of the story is here below from:

http://www.lancashireeveningtelegraph.co.uk/display.var.757009.0.family_detained_by_armed_police.php

Family detained by armed police

By LET newsdesk

A COMMUNITY was today fighting to save a family from deportation and calling for help from new Home Secretary John Reid.

Armed police and immigration officials swooped on the family home of Nigel and Pearl Karim and their children, 11-year-old Calvin and sister Crystal, 13, detaining them at gunpoint as the youngsters got ready for school."

The article goes on - Today there at Yarlswood detention centre near Luton, Bedfordshire where they could be deported back to Pakistan within 72 hours.

There was a Candle Lit vigil last night - and Pupils from the children - Calvin & Crystal's schools - Holy Saviour Primary/Nelson and Fisher-More//Colne - Dan's school are calling for help from John Reid/Home Secretary.

Mr Samuals (the brother of Pearl Karim said the family claimed religious asylum four years ago after Mr Karim received threats after choosing to convert to Christianity.

Mr Karim worked as a Security Guard in Pakistan, and Mrs Karim as a teacher. They had their first bid for asylum rejected 2 1/2 years ago, but reapplied on July 26 last year/sending their application recorded delivery to the Home office - which Mr Samuals says got lost in the system.

Mr Samuals also says in the article, "They are not economic migrants. They came here because their lives were being threatened......According to immigration officials Pakistan is deemed to be a safe country. The question is who is it safe for? ... If they go back their lives will be under threat".

Mr Samuals and his wife Sheila are launching a campaign to let the family remain in the UK. They are currently seeking legal advice to see if a judicial review can be launched.

Yesterdays 'snatch and swoop cam as the children were getting ready for school. Calvin was due to sit a school examination that day. Calvin's friends were told what had happened after they took the test, and the class teacher reports 'they were devastated'.

The family came to England from Pakistan four years ago and lived with Mrs Karim's parents. They could not work, but were active in the community and survived on money from the National Asylum Support Service.

Father Christopher Gorton, Parish Priest at Holy Savour RC Church, Nelson led the candle lit vigil - supporters packed the church hall.

Father Gorton said ..."They are a genuine family with a genuine fear for their own safety if they are forced to return to Pakistan ... They desperately wanted to work and were determined to contribute to society in this country and this is how they are treated".

A spokeswoman for the Home Office said she could not comment on individual cases.

knightrose
May 11 2006 15:30

Is there anything we can do????? This sounds desperate.

lucy82
May 11 2006 16:13

if anyone knows the airline and flight number we can fax/email the airline

Mitch
May 11 2006 16:17
knightrose wrote:
Is there anything we can do????? This sounds desperate.

Cheers - I'm a bit confused as to what's going on at the moment, as I've just rung Holy Saviours (as it was looking desperate from the Lancs Telegraph Report - and I wanted to see if they had the NCADC contact details) and there's a message on their phone from Father Chris saying that tonight at 8pm there is a 'celebratory meeting to welcome back the Karim family'.

So it could be good news - a couple of us will pull away from our meeting tonight and got to Holy Saviours to find out. Expect Dan will want to come too.

More tomorrow. thanks

Mitch
May 11 2006 16:20
lucy82 wrote:
if anyone knows the airline and flight number we can fax/email the airline

Cheers - I went straight to the NCADC website after I read that Lancs Eve Telegraph report and clocked that same advice. I shall pass all this onto Pushka and Dan - I think they're out this afternoon.

We shall find out the details tonight hopefully. There is strong community support in Nelson for the Karim family. The school kids are amazing.

Cheers Mitch smile

knightrose
May 11 2006 16:21

let us know what's happened asap! If I was a believer, I'd be praying!!!

lucy82
May 11 2006 16:28

pray to the god of the anarchists. i believe shes very nice but not good at leadership wink

sounds like they've let the family out. if so, then nice one to the school etc and others involved and pple need to keep the pressure up because they can be seized again.

Mitch
May 11 2006 16:39

Ha ha ........ We have to be discreet about our atheism because the church halls round here, of which there are quite a few, are the only cheap rooms available for events now!! Plus, on campaigns for asylum seekers the churches in Nelson have been particularly strong for years, and indeed on anti-fascism their strong - which is interesting.

All the community rooms are owned by New Labour puppets like Burnley or Pendle Community Network and so on and are now 'businesses' charging ridiculous amounts of money which community groups can only afford it they become a charity, bite the funding carrot and come under mega surveillance.

Anywise, that's another thread I suppose.

tara m

pushka
May 11 2006 16:43

Hi everyone, and thanks for your posts on this.

Dan hasn't come home from school yet, so I haven't had an update from him regarding Crystal and her family. I do hope that it is the good news that it appears to be, however I will keep you posted whatever the news.

Knightrose, I really wish I could suggest things that we could do, but it seems that the information Lucy82 is giving is the best to follow in all of these cases!!

I hope this particular case opens up the eyes of some of those people who so easily slag off asylum seekers, some not too distant from me!!

Will post more later tonight, after our meeting, or earlier if Dan brings any news.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 11 2006 16:46

I only read this now, sorry, if I can help let us know. We have someone quite active in Preston on anti-deportation stuff I should introduce him to pushka and mitch.

Anyway saw this

Quote:
Mr Samuals also says in the article, "They are not economic migrants. They came here because their lives were being threatened......According to immigration officials Pakistan is deemed to be a safe country. The question is who is it safe for? ... If they go back their lives will be under threat".

Personally I thought this kind of played into the hands of racists. Doing anti-racist stuff isnt easy as it is around Burnley/Pendle.

cheers

pushka
May 11 2006 17:39

Hi October_lost and thanks for your post. I must admit that the comment you quoted is quite a dangerous one when read by already racist people in Burnley and Pendle...it's just so difficult to get over the message of why the asylum seekers need our support instead of our criticism!! Thanks for offering to help too, that name from Preston would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I've heard news from Dan that Crystal and her family have been released!!! tongue Also received the following email from Ann Kerrigan, a Pendle LibDem Cllr. regarding the family:

Hello Michelle. Thank you for that. I know that they have now been released and should be back home in Pendle very soon. I spoke to Alan Davies this afternoon (The Leader of Pendle Council) and it has been agreed (so long as the family agree) that Crystal will read a letter to the Council on Thursday next week asking the Council to support her family's application to stay in Nelson. Alan Davies is happy with this and Brendan Conboy, the Head Teacher at Fisher More is going to talk to Crystal tomorrow. Crystal will obviously have a lot of support there and her friends and family will be welcome to come too.

I know of Crystal because she is a friend of my daughter. My daughter was distraught when she heard the news and rang me at work yesterday in tears. You have my personal full support and I will of course sign the petition. MEP Saj Karim's office has been very busy over the past two days helping with this.

Best Wishes

Ann

Thanks again to everybody, for your supportive posts and for signing the petition...I will keep you posted if there are any further updates on this family's campaign.

Mitch
May 12 2006 14:44
october_lost wrote:
I only read this now, sorry, if I can help let us know. We have someone quite active in Preston on anti-deportation stuff I should introduce him to pushka and mitch.

Anyway saw this

Quote:

Personally I thought this kind of played into the hands of racists. Doing anti-racist stuff isnt easy as it is around Burnley/Pendle.

cheers

I simply reported what he said in the article - and often people's comments are riddled with problems and contradictions round here - , and if you'd come to the meeting last night you propably would have kicked a hi yah kung fu fit, as the return of the Karims was seen as 'a miracle from god'. eek

What it obviously was, was a huge community campaign, with some strong legal representation, and various local Liberal notables pulling strings and a lot more things I don't know about yet.

It was an emotional moment when they came through the door - many were in tears including us. Mrs Karim's was the best talk - despite her own ordeal of the last 24 hours - snatched and taken up and down the country - she spoke of what she had seen at Yarlswood - families and babies who had been their for months - and that we must do something to help them. And we'll continue to work with the campaign and do what we can.

Pushka has photos anon.

knightrose
May 12 2006 14:49

I saw them on the lunch time news today. Even the BBC seem to be on their side - I suspect the religious angle is important there - converts to Christianity and all that.

What would be of enormous value to me and Ms Knightrose would be a report of what was actually done to get them out. We've got a few families in dodgy situations at school and practical ideas would be good. We intend to discuss the Karim case with others (whether they like it or not!) and hopefully draw some lessons and make some plans.

pushka
May 12 2006 14:54

Hi Mitch, thanks for your account of last night's welcoming home meeting, which was indeed very moving...I will post the pictures as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I'm reprinting an email which I received today from the local LibDem chap: Lord Tony Greaves:

'David Dean brought Pearl's father and some other people to see me on

Wednesday night. I read the initial decision on their asylum case, and

also the Immigration Appeals Tribunal decision (both long documents)

which was issued in August 2003.

>From my experience of these cases and some slight knowledge of asylum

law, and within the existing rules etc, I am clear that the decision

to refuse their asylum claim was to be expected. There are a number of

issues but a crucial one is that the alleged persecution and

harassment to which Nigel Karim (the father) was subjected was by

third parties and not by the state; that they had recourse to

protection by the state and the rule of law; and that (officially at

least) the Pakistani government and authorities are doing their best

to protect their citizens from this kind of unlawful activity.

Christians in Pakistan may dispute that they are safe but the

government's argument is that they are as safe as citizens in many

other countries.

There is also a right to family life and right to personal privacy

argument. The tribunal found that (while the family would prefer to

stay here and indeed might have a better life here) these human rights

as defined in law would not be taken away if they were sent back to

Pakistan.

It is clear that the decision to let them out yesterday was made on

the basis of the HO losing the new application submitted by their

lawyers on the basis of new evidence. They cannot be deported legally

until that new application has been considered. When it is

resubmitted, it may be dealt with quite quickly. I have seen the basis

of the new claim (further harassment by people turning up at Nigel's

mother's looking for him in a threatening way) and I have doubts that

it will get very far - it's not much different from the evidence

already rejected by the tribunal.

I therefore expect that a renewed attempt to deport them will take

place within a few weeks and certainly within a few months.

The only real chance in my view lies in a compassionate decision on

the basis of the 2½ years that it took the immigration service to come

for them after the August 2003 tribunal decision, and their

integration into this country (particularly kids education etc) since

then. Bearing in mind similar cases like the African family in Dorset,

and current Daily Mail and Sun-led hue and cry over "illegal

immigrants" etc, I would not hold out much hope - but that does not

mean it's not worth trying. At the very least it will reveal the

inhumanity and incompetence of the HO and the IND.

Tony'