Mayday Manchester

-------------------------------

MAY DAY IS INTERNATIONAL WORKERS DAY!

Assemble All Saints Park at 1200 ***Location updated***

MONDAY 1ST MAY 2006

March to and Rally at Albert Square

BRING YOUR TRADE UNION BANNER

BRING YOUR CAMPAIGN BANNER

Organised by: Trades Unions For Refugees (TUFR)

Supported by: Manchester Trades Council

-------------------------------

Should we start making some red and black flags? wink

knightrose
Mar 30 2006 11:14

Yes we should - I've got one somewhere or other. It'd be nice to see circle A people marching together - somehow I think in Manchester that'd be like your comment on another thread about herding cats, though.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Mar 30 2006 11:19
knightrose wrote:
Yes we should - I've got one somewhere or other. It'd be nice to see circle A people marching together - somehow I think in Manchester that'd be like your comment on another thread about herding cats, though.

hey in the tuesdays strike support event there were according to my very non-sectarian and always so optimistic calculations 15+ anarchists present smile

So lets give it a try! I'll see about a sowing machine, and we could have a flag making workshop one evening in the basement tongue

knightrose
Mar 30 2006 11:23

sounds fun. count us in.

qwertz
Mar 30 2006 13:45

There is more planned for the mayday weekend than the march on May 1st: duciegroup.org.uk for the flyer.

critical mass, anarchist bookfair, anti nuclear demo, carnevalesque picnic against capitalism (whatever that is), and parties!!!

There is a banner making session in the Basement on April 10th. Why not come along and make your flags there.

I support the idea of an anarchist bloc for the 1st May march. We could put this on our next flyer...

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Mar 30 2006 14:06
qwertz wrote:
There is a banner making session in the Basement on April 10th. Why not come along and make your flags there.

good idea.

Ok, one sewing machine located - but it is very old school. Does anyone have one?

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 15 2006 18:28

I updated the location of the start of the rally according to the leaflet received today at the migrant demo.

Gather at All Saints Park 12.00 noon!

Sorry.
Apr 30 2006 16:37

so who's gonna be on this? My good self obviously, though I've got a class at 2pm so I'll have to be gone by then...

Refused's picture
Refused
Apr 30 2006 16:43

Yo.

Kidda
Apr 30 2006 16:44

im planning on being there

8)

Sorry.
Apr 30 2006 19:48

actually the class is on tuesday. I have a spare flag if you bring your own stick red n black star (or jdmf brings you one)

spike
Apr 30 2006 19:50

did anyone go to the carnival against capital today?

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 30 2006 20:19

i'll try to bring sticks - but that is reliant on B&Q being open.

See you tomorrow comrades!

william morris
Apr 30 2006 20:46

why would a workerist vegan anarchist type have to go to B&Q to get STICKS!? You could pretty much build a house with what's laying in tips all over the city...

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 30 2006 20:57

its £2, so i think i can take the damage wink

Besides they will be well used in basement with different banners etc.

knightrose
Apr 30 2006 21:10

I can try and cut some bamboo sticks from the garden. They may work.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 30 2006 21:15

wicked!

(where the fuck is the green & black star ?!?!?)

william morris
Apr 30 2006 21:17

still wouldn't it be more of a 'class statement' to rescue it from a tip rather than to go into a massive wal-mart-like chain and buy it? I don't want to come off all 'more street than you' like so many people in these posts; in fact I was in a B&Q just last week buying an axle for my bike trailer. BUT I got the frame out of an alley and the wood for the box out of a tip, and the wheels off a kid's bike i bought on ebay for 99p. I had to buy the axle because I decided I might wait around for the rest of my life before a piece of metal the right diameter, length, and thread turned up on the street.

Most importantly, it's way more fun to dig stuff out of tips than go to B&Q.

While I'm on the subject, I discovered the mother of all free vegetable sites yesterday. If you go over next to the composter at the new smithfield market, there's more food there than you could eat in a lifetime, and nobody seems to care how much you take. They're throwing it out all the time. And much of it is perfectly good.

I know I'm off topic; but scavenging is so much fun it makes me into sort of an evangelist, which is scary.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 30 2006 21:21

if you like scavenging, thats fine mate, but thats not my cup of tea and no i dont think it is more in tune with my politics to get the stuff from a skip than from B&Q, eventhough i can see some inherent value in more efficient recycling etc.

I would never dumpster dive food though wink Not by choice that is.

william morris
Apr 30 2006 21:43

Technically it's not even dumpster diving at New Smithfield, because the stuff is just stacked up there; just like a grocery store except it's outside and it's FREE

lucy82
May 1 2006 00:54

ebays just as massive walmart-like as er walmart just sometimes you get away with it cheaper. but yeah, dumpster stuff is good. haven't eaten that way for a while. but whether you choose to eat out of skips or supermarkets has got nothing to do with 'class statements'. i don't really get that. unless its a joke and i'm missing it? not having a go, by the way. keep skipping. wink

william morris
May 1 2006 08:55

I heard on the radio the other day that 1 out of every 8 pounds spent in Britain is spent at Tesco. Doesn't that have something to do with class? Doesn't that mean there must be a very tiny group of people making an unbelievable amount of money? It just seems to make more sense to me to eat and use what people are throwing out rather than giving rich people yet more of our money. By the way I'm not demonizing rich people like lots of people like to do; relatively speaking I'm rich myself.

Regarding scavenging food; I would agree it's a bad thing to do if the food was moldy or disgusting or unsafe. But you should have a look at what I'm talking about. I'm talking like a 50 pound bag of onions, with a small number of them sort of beat up or damaged and the rest as good as what's in the store. Boxes and boxes of mushrooms that look exactly like what's on the supermarket shelves. Tomatoes, brocolli (sp?), potatoes, etc etc. And this is only what's at the vegetable market. I can't skip the supermarkets because they keep their skips behind brick walls and razor wire in order to throw out their food undisturbed. Surely this level of waste must have something to do with maintaining their profits, and thus is a class issue?

Anyway, thanks for engaging the issue - it's an interesting one.

william morris
May 1 2006 08:58

PS regarding ebay - it's true that it's a massive concern, and will probably digest the world eventually. But there is a difference in that only a part of your money goes to ebay and the rest to the independent seller. Ebay is unfortunately being taken over by massive sellers, which probably could have been predicted. But selling stuff on ebay actually kept me alive for about 1 1/2 years in between other sources of income, so I can't be too harsh about them!

I think people need to reread Schumacher, and reconsider the notion that, all other things being equal, small things are inherently better than big things, especially when it comes to business, because it promotes diversity and, as we learn in ecology class, diversity creates stability creates diversity etc. Unless you want to ascribe to chaos theory, which is beyond the bounds of this discussion and way beyond the bounds of my knowledge.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
May 1 2006 10:19

of course tesco is a class issue, because it is capitalist run in a capitalist society, so pretty much everything is a class issue wink But the reaction to this class issue is a different matter: if one would say for instance that not shopping at supermarkets is a class issue, then they have missed the point and individualised something which is a collective problem. I am not dismissing issues like supporting independent shops or workers co-operatives, but it should not be made a purely class issue.

More on this later mate - need to rush to the mayday march starting in 40 minutes!

william morris
May 1 2006 12:01

I agree it's not primarily a class issue; in fact the main reason I'm a scavenger (besides the fact that it's fun) is ecological; I don't like contributing to waste, landfills etc. Another little tidbit I picked up somewhere: landfills in the UK alone are covering 16 square kilometers every year. That's a lot of crap!

pushka
May 1 2006 16:31

One of my exes was a Security Guard on the nightshift at the local Arndale Centre, at the end of each working day he used to rummage thru the bins for sandwiches that Boots had thrown away...we got tons of stuff from there!! He used to get free loaves of Kingsmill bread from the bakery delivery men too...

I often thought what a waste it was putting all those sandwiches in the bins and how they could have arranged something with the local homeless groups in order to feed them at least some of the stuff...

lucy82
May 1 2006 21:57

my mum loved the day the bags of sprouts arrived. loads and loads of bags of sprouts. she was so happy she wanted beanis and mission to go back next week for more sprouts. it was sprout madness.

i worked for a childrens charity for a bit (this is not a sprout related story sadly) and marks and spencers gave their old sandwiches to booth centre for homeless people. but they stopped because it was frowned upon from highter up so no more butties sad some health and safety issue apparently (or that if anyone dies of mayonaise poisoning they don't want to get sued) not trying to be nice to m & S or anything but their butties were well appreciated. for as long as it lasted.

qwertz
May 2 2006 11:54
spike wrote:
did anyone go to the carnival against capital today?

the carnival/picnic wasn't too well attended because of the rain all day. We tried to have a picnic in the arcade by kro bar, but the manager got angry and stole our banner.

so we decided to go on a little march through the city centre and I think everyone enjoyed it lots.

will post some pics up on indymedia later...