DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Manchester post-bookfair gig

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
qwertz
Apr 26 2006 14:23
Manchester post-bookfair gig

We now have started to sort out bands for the gig on Saturday 29th after the bookfair.

Post-Bookfair / MAYDAY 06 benefit

Klondyke Club, Burnage Range, off Albert Road. Levenshulme

8 til late (well 12ish)

Bands include:

magic experiment science museum

Al (???)

and a couple of others

probably £2 donation

spike
Apr 26 2006 14:26

what sort of gig is it you wanna do?

qwertz
Apr 26 2006 15:08

It's just gonna happen in the front room of a pub if at all. So not much dancing space available. We thought of folky kind of music, style of the DIY gigs that helpyourselfmanchester put on.

Mainly so that we can all chill out together after the bookfair and before more mayday mischief on Sunday/Monday, in a pub that won't turn off the taps, and were there is no need to bring a soundsystem to provoke everyone else...

spike
Apr 26 2006 15:17

hmm, well this is happening, sounds good

http://www.soundsfromtheothercity.co.uk/foodandstalls.html

qwertz
Apr 26 2006 15:23

but that's on sunday, isn't it?

beanis
Apr 26 2006 18:59

magic experiment science musum will play if you like. we are anarcho primitivist anti capitalist anti authoritarian non hierarchical concencus descion making marxist punks that play a mix of electro fuck throw back beat and punk spoon fetish raw sideways jazz a ram a taz.

how does that sounds?

Steve
Apr 26 2006 19:32

Awful.

Meanwhile up in Preston we have a cabaret night already planned & worked out with performers and everything. Sunday April 30th.

submission
Apr 26 2006 19:35
Quote:
how does that sounds?

well to me it sounds like a bunch of nobbers attempting some sad faxsimilie of an art school noise band, bearing their fucking man norks in the hope they can later get it on with some stuck up hipster girl from leeds and reading kirkergard (for christs sake!!!) in an attempt to mask their complete lack of creaitve talent, and in the sad state that manchester house gigs have descend to nobody pigging well cares cos after they can get pissed on buckfast and listen slayer albums upstairs until their face bleeds- which if it means they won't have to see/hear anymore MESM should be counted as a minor blessing.

but that said; at least you're not mcwatt

Sorry.
Apr 26 2006 19:50

should you not of started organising this a little earlier Mr. T

Steve
Apr 26 2006 19:57
Sorry. wrote:
should you not of started organising this a little earlier Mr. T

Like Preston? wink

submission
Apr 26 2006 20:03

STFU noob!!!111!ELVEN!! Like, disorganisation and shit is, like, the biggest strenght of the anarchist movement. Like, if a bunch anarchist ran down market street the MAN wouldn't know WTF was going on. He'd be like 'ZMOG this is like well autonomous and shit' and we'd be like 'we pwned your bitch ass suxxors!!!1!' and it'd be like totally ras. ANARCHY ROCKS! QFT

or at least that's what i over heard the ducie group had planned for mayday

Sorry.
Apr 26 2006 20:40
submission wrote:
STFU noob!!!111!ELVEN!! Like, disorganisation and shit is, like, the biggest strenght of the anarchist movement. Like, if a bunch anarchist ran down market street the MAN wouldn't know WTF was going on. He'd be like 'ZMOG this is like well autonomous and shit' and we'd be like 'we pwned your bitch ass suxxors!!!1!' and it'd be like totally ras. ANARCHY ROCKS! QFT

or at least that's what i over heard the ducie group had planned for mayday

grin grin

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 21:16

quit whining comrades. 3 days to go. plenty of time. lets get back to this topic on friday.

qwertz
Apr 27 2006 10:15

plenty of time indeed, but also plenty of other things to do... confused anyway, beanis, if you are serious about playing with your band (or whatever it is that you mentioned) give me a ring (I PM'ed my number). the klondyke club would let us use their front lounge if i know by this evening.

beanis
Apr 27 2006 12:22
submission wrote:
Quote:
how does that sounds?

well to me it sounds like a bunch of nobbers attempting some sad faxsimilie of an art school noise band, bearing their fucking man norks in the hope they can later get it on with some stuck up hipster girl from leeds and reading kirkergard (for christs sake!!!) in an attempt to mask their complete lack of creaitve talent, and in the sad state that manchester house gigs have descend to nobody pigging well cares cos after they can get pissed on buckfast and listen slayer albums upstairs until their face bleeds- which if it means they won't have to see/hear anymore MESM should be counted as a minor blessing.

but that said; at least you're not mcwatt

why submission, that is the best review we have ever had. e xellent.

we are like totally rock and roll and anarchist. smile

beanis
Apr 27 2006 12:22

as i PM'd u, isnt playin in the klondyke when the other room is booked difficult? wont we disturb them?

anyway, whatever - we can play im sure. smile

qwertz
Apr 27 2006 18:10

thanks beanis, I edited my original post accordingly. The klondyke people are fine with it, will charge us £50 though that's why we'll ask for donations.

lucy82
Apr 27 2006 18:25

do you think your going to get enough people though to cover the £50 quid because its not been advertised or owt? i'm not being snarky btw just that it seems a lot of cash for you to lose if it goes titsup.

and hey, Steve, how humble we mancuniums are compared with the organised might of Preston. tongue twisted

Steve
Apr 27 2006 20:05
lucy82 wrote:
and hey, Steve, how humble we mancuniums are compared with the organised might of Preston. tongue twisted

But I'm a Manc lad wink

Steve
Apr 27 2006 20:11

p.s. It also helps being a musician and knowing the members of local bands. 8)

qwertz
Apr 28 2006 11:34
lucy82 wrote:
do you think your going to get enough people though to cover the £50 quid because its not been advertised or owt? i'm not being snarky btw just that it seems a lot of cash for you to lose if it goes titsup.

tongue twisted

well, come along and bring all your friends. We'll also advertise it at the bookfair, it's a post-bookfair gig after all, and at the mayday weekend events on friday (critical mass) and saturday (anti nuclear demo). And if all goes wrong the mayday collective as still some money spare!

submission
Apr 28 2006 14:13
Steve wrote:
p.s. It also helps being a musician and knowing the members of local bands. 8)

yeah qwertz, why aren't you a musican? HEY!? Steve's a musician and he knows bands. Like all of them and shit. God steve's great. i wish i was steve

beanis
Apr 28 2006 16:54

didnt you used to be called steve?

Steve
Apr 28 2006 17:51
submission wrote:
HEY!? Steve's a musician and he knows bands. Like all of them and shit. God steve's great. i wish i was steve

Quite a common sentiment. You'd have to start by getting a decent haircut though.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 28 2006 20:51
Steve wrote:
You'd have to start by getting a decent haircut though.

there goes that idea then wink

qwertz
May 2 2006 11:59

the gig actually worked out fine. filled up the venue easily, publicised mayday activities and got a fair bit of donations.

in the end we even had to turn some musicians away who wanted to play cause we had an excess of bands.

spike
May 2 2006 13:22

mayday manchester

friday - critical mass can't manage to to cycle as a mass so goes to pub instead

saturday - people successfully go to pub

sunday - people try to go to pub but fail

wink tongue red n black star

Kidda
May 2 2006 15:30

dont be so cynical spike

we got to hear a great song about having Che on your pencil case

8) 8)

all was not lost

wink red n black star violet black star Mr. T

beanis
May 2 2006 20:47
spike wrote:
mayday manchester

friday - critical mass can't manage to to cycle as a mass so goes to pub instead

saturday - people successfully go to pub

sunday - people try to go to pub but fail

wink tongue red n black star

oh spike, noncence. have you not seen the pictures on indymedia?

they danced to samba on sunday, and like, went through a shopping centre, with like, a banner, saying 'you are not your things', and like loads of people totally whacked out and realised capitalism was ras (bad) and kicked off and threw all their 'things' all over the floor and made a big mess, and then took off their clothes and pissed on each other cos they were all like liberated and shit. yo!

spike
May 2 2006 20:50

damn, looks like i missed out