AF Meeting cancelled 28th August

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
knightrose
Aug 28 2007 16:04
AF Meeting cancelled 28th August

We've just had a phone call from the landlady at the pub we meet at, the Hare and Hounds, in Manchester. The police have been in and told her that Comb@t 18 had details of our meeting on their site and that they were planning on turning up. She was told to shut her pub from 6pm. So there's no meeting tonight. And we now need to look for a new venue (as will the other political groups who meet there)

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Aug 28 2007 18:10

any far right twats reading this - the cops forced the pub to close, not you.

knightrose
Aug 28 2007 18:35

the worst bit is that the really nice landlady was scared out of her skin.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Aug 28 2007 18:47

i think to be honest, the cops are to blame there. Its not exactly as if most people live in fear of the mighty Comb@ 1& red bashers and their recent militant activity roll eyes

Ready for racial cleansing? Ready for bedtime more like.

Knightrose/admins perhaps i can suggest breaking up the words comb@ !8 so they don't find this page via google...?

knightrose
Aug 28 2007 19:55

Well they didn't turn up. Not that they were expected.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Aug 28 2007 20:04

'they'...

Hm!

cops, honeytraps - someone cally Larry.

Peter Good
Aug 29 2007 07:51

Knightrose,

This is clearly bad news given that a) the Hare and Hounds was a really good pub and b) meeting places in Manchester are more than scarce.

But it must be said that any group establishing itself as an open organisation puts itself at risk from such police manipulation. It is here that affinity/cell groups have greater flexibility over organisations.

I would think that one alternative for organisations to consider is to follow the Social Centre movement. Control over a building deflects police scare visits and we don't have to put sympathisers at risk.

But this is bad news.

Regards
Peter Good(TCA)

knightrose
Aug 29 2007 12:29

You are right about the problems, but for us being an open, advertised organisation is important. A lot of people come to our meetings and we are gaining increasing interest. It doesn't matter if these people join or not, though we prefer them to, but it does mean that we are able to make anarchist ideas accessible to an increasingly wider group of people.

We're meeting as a closed group to discuss what to do. We will find another venue and start meeting again soon. I guess we might publcise it slightly differently, that's all.

anarchol
Aug 29 2007 13:49

In Cardiff before we had a social centre we used a staff club (still do for larger events).

Being heavily populated by old union types and rugby players, I can't imagine them shutting for anybody.

Check out some working men's clubs and the like, they often have spare rooms and tend to be dead easy going.

sum-one's picture
sum-one
Sep 2 2007 19:08

Damn cops, it doesnt seem like C 18 would do this. Have any meetings been cancelled like this anytime before?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Sep 3 2007 11:10

tell us what C18 seem like grin

sum-one's picture
sum-one
Sep 3 2007 15:12

Well im just saying that from reading around it doesnt seem like something they would do, it doesnt look like they are very active, or actively opposing the AF. But i may be wrong, lol.